Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Forking in Unix using C++
Top Forums Programming Forking in Unix using C++ Post 302262643 by TelePlayer on Friday 28th of November 2008 08:53:00 AM
Old 11-28-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by steephen
This is not the place for writing homework for others!!
First of all, the post you're referring to is 7 years old. Good work there.

Second, did you even read the post you're chastising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelePlayer
Well, I won't write your assignment for you, but here's how a fork goes:
I gave the poster generic code for forking a process that he probably could have found anywhere else using a web search.

Thanks for the post, though. I am appropriately humbled.

-Joe

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Forking in a loop

When I compile this C programme I get different outputs each time I run it Please explain to me whats happening in the code if you can give me a detailed explanation. Because I am stuck with this. #include <stdio.h> main(){ int i = 0; printf("I am the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manjuWicky
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Forking

When I compile this C programme I get different outputs each time I run it Please explain to me whats happening in the code if you can give me a detailed explanation with the schedular functionality it will help a lot. Because I am stuck with this. #include <stdio.h> main(){... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjuWicky
3 Replies

3. Programming

forking a new process

Hi I'm currently working with C on UNIX (HPUX) and need to be able to fork a seperate Java process from within a running C process. I can run the following code from the command line via a script but am having difficulty getting it to work from within the code. I am trying to use execl. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: themezzaman
4 Replies

4. Programming

forking process.

#include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int main() { pid_t pID; int i; for (i = 0; i < 3; i++) { pID = fork (); if (pID == 0) { printf ("Value of i --> %d... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymthasneem
2 Replies

5. Programming

forking within a thread

Is it safe to call fork+exec in a multithreaded application. Because In my multithreaded application, I need to execute another program in each thread. I am using solaris 10. Any suggestions pls. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forking with Tclsh vs Wish

Hello, I am new to this site, so sorry ahead of time if this is not the right place for this question.......anywhooooo I am having troubles with forking new processes in wish. Take the following code example: **************************** package require Tclx puts "TCL VER: " proc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pghamami
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with forking

Hi, my $log = IO::File->new(">$log_file_name"); $log->print("date()."--\n\n\n"); sub process { my ($sub_dir, $file, $config, $log) = @_; $log->print("-- Reading $file file\n"); } my $pm = new Parallel::ForkManager($tc+1); $pm->run_on_finish( sub { my ($pid, $exit_code,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forking and Pinging

Keep in mind that I haven't done Perl scripting for a LONG time, so I'm quite rusty. This is what I would like to do: - using fork, create 3 or 4 processes to read 3 or 4 different text documents containing server names or IP addresses - in each of those processes, Perl will ping each of those... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
7 Replies

9. Programming

Parent forking

My question is, how do you fork only the parent processes in unix? For example how would I use the fork function to fork the parent process more than once and leave the children processes alone. This way I do not have children of children. The way I have it set up now it the parent process forks 3... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TWhitt24
7 Replies

10. Programming

need help in forking

I have an input file with contents like: 5785690|68690|898809 7960789|89709|789789 7669900|87865|659708 7869098|65769|347658 so on.. I need to pass this file to 10 parallely running processes (forking)so that each line is processed by a process and no line is processed twice and write the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkrish
1 Replies
vfork(2)							System Calls Manual							  vfork(2)

Name
       vfork - spawn new process in a virtual memory-efficient way

Syntax
       pid = vfork()
       int pid;

Description
       The  can  be used to create new processes without fully copying the address space of the old process, which is inefficient in a paged envi-
       ronment.  It is useful when the purpose of would have been to create a new system context for an The system call differs from in  that  the
       child borrows the parent's memory and thread of control until a call to or an exit (either by a call to or abnormally.)	The parent process
       is suspended while the child is using its resources.

The system call returns a value of zero (0) in the child's context and, later, the pid of the child in the parent's context.

The system call can normally be used just like It does not work, however, to return while running in the childs context from the  procedure
       which  called because the eventual return from would then return to a nonexistent stack frame.  Be careful, also, to call _exit rather than
       exit if you cannot call because exit will flush and close standard I/O channels and thereby cause problems in the parent process's standard
       I/O data structures.  Even with it is wrong to call exit, because buffered data would then be flushed twice.

Restrictions
       To avoid a possible deadlock situation, processes which are children in the middle of a are never sent SIGTTOU or SIGTTIN signals.  Rather,
       output or ioctls are allowed, and input attempts result in an end-of-file indication.

Diagnostics
       Same as for

See Also
       execve(2), fork(2), sigvec(2), wait(2)

vfork(2)