Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Forking in Unix using C++
Top Forums Programming Forking in Unix using C++ Post 302262594 by steephen on Friday 28th of November 2008 04:58:54 AM
Old 11-28-2008
This is not the place for writing homework for others!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Forking in a loop

When I compile this C programme I get different outputs each time I run it Please explain to me whats happening in the code if you can give me a detailed explanation. Because I am stuck with this. #include <stdio.h> main(){ int i = 0; printf("I am the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manjuWicky
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Forking

When I compile this C programme I get different outputs each time I run it Please explain to me whats happening in the code if you can give me a detailed explanation with the schedular functionality it will help a lot. Because I am stuck with this. #include <stdio.h> main(){... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjuWicky
3 Replies

3. Programming

forking a new process

Hi I'm currently working with C on UNIX (HPUX) and need to be able to fork a seperate Java process from within a running C process. I can run the following code from the command line via a script but am having difficulty getting it to work from within the code. I am trying to use execl. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: themezzaman
4 Replies

4. Programming

forking process.

#include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int main() { pid_t pID; int i; for (i = 0; i < 3; i++) { pID = fork (); if (pID == 0) { printf ("Value of i --> %d... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymthasneem
2 Replies

5. Programming

forking within a thread

Is it safe to call fork+exec in a multithreaded application. Because In my multithreaded application, I need to execute another program in each thread. I am using solaris 10. Any suggestions pls. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forking with Tclsh vs Wish

Hello, I am new to this site, so sorry ahead of time if this is not the right place for this question.......anywhooooo I am having troubles with forking new processes in wish. Take the following code example: **************************** package require Tclx puts "TCL VER: " proc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pghamami
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with forking

Hi, my $log = IO::File->new(">$log_file_name"); $log->print("date()."--\n\n\n"); sub process { my ($sub_dir, $file, $config, $log) = @_; $log->print("-- Reading $file file\n"); } my $pm = new Parallel::ForkManager($tc+1); $pm->run_on_finish( sub { my ($pid, $exit_code,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forking and Pinging

Keep in mind that I haven't done Perl scripting for a LONG time, so I'm quite rusty. This is what I would like to do: - using fork, create 3 or 4 processes to read 3 or 4 different text documents containing server names or IP addresses - in each of those processes, Perl will ping each of those... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
7 Replies

9. Programming

Parent forking

My question is, how do you fork only the parent processes in unix? For example how would I use the fork function to fork the parent process more than once and leave the children processes alone. This way I do not have children of children. The way I have it set up now it the parent process forks 3... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TWhitt24
7 Replies

10. Programming

need help in forking

I have an input file with contents like: 5785690|68690|898809 7960789|89709|789789 7669900|87865|659708 7869098|65769|347658 so on.. I need to pass this file to 10 parallely running processes (forking)so that each line is processed by a process and no line is processed twice and write the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkrish
1 Replies
VFORK(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  VFORK(2)

NAME
vfork -- spawn new process in a virtual memory efficient way LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t vfork(void); DESCRIPTION
The vfork system call creates a new process that does not have a new virtual address space, but rather shares address space with the parent, thus avoiding potentially expensive copy-on-write operations normally associated with creating a new process. It is useful when the purpose of fork(2) would have been to create a new system context for an execve(2). The vfork system call differs from fork(2) in that the child borrows the parent's memory and thread of control until a call to execve(2) or an exit (either by a call to _exit(2) or abnormally). The parent process is suspended while the child is using its resources. The vfork system call returns 0 in the child's context and (later) the pid of the child in the parent's context. The vfork system call can normally be used just like fork(2). It does not work, however, to return while running in the childs context from the procedure that called vfork() since the eventual return from vfork() would then return to a no longer existent stack frame. Be careful, also, to call _exit(2) rather than exit(3) if you can't execve(2), since exit(3) will flush and close standard I/O channels, and thereby mess up the standard I/O data structures in the parent process. (Even with fork(2) it is wrong to call exit(3) since buffered data would then be flushed twice.) RETURN VALUES
Same as for fork(2). ERRORS
Same as for fork(2). SEE ALSO
execve(2), fork(2), sigaction(2), wait(2) HISTORY
The vfork() function call appeared in 3.0BSD. In 4.4BSD, the semantics were changed to only suspend the parent. The original semantics were reintroduced in NetBSD 1.4. BUGS
Users should not depend on the memory sharing semantics of vfork() as other ways of speeding up the fork process may be developed in the future. To avoid a possible deadlock situation, processes that are children in the middle of a vfork() are never sent SIGTTOU or SIGTTIN signals; rather, output or ioctl(2) calls are allowed and input attempts result in an end-of-file indication. BSD
January 3, 1998 BSD