Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed problem replacing long strings Post 302262525 by vino on Thursday 27th of November 2008 11:02:45 PM
Old 11-28-2008

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Replacing $1 with $2 escape problem

Hi all, I have a script which uses sed to replace one string with another. The problem is, the string to be matched, and its replacement are coming in as two command line arguments $1 and $2 $1 and $2 can be absolutely anything, but both should be treated purely as strings. My sed command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark007
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing strings with newlines : sed

Hi everyone, Since the previous time I received help from unix.com I have been encouraged to learn more. going through 1 of the articles(View Article) on sed I found, it pointed an interesting situation. Suppose the text is : Romeo and Ethel the Dancer Moves Audience to Tears. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with sed while replacing a string with another

Hi, I have a line something like this sys,systematic,system I want to replace only the word system with HI I used sed for this as below echo sys,systematic,system | sed 's/system/HI/' but I got output as sys,HIatic,system I wanted output as sys,systematic,HI Please tell me... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: friendyboy
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in replacing asterisk in sed

Hi all, Sed is the one which always trobules me :( here is my input : *** it industry need to be evolved *** in the world and hope so *** to be dream the output i am expecting is : *** it industry need to be evolved *** in the world and hope so *** to be dream ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing strings

I am trying to take the two line version of this: mv myFile.txt myFile.txt.bak sed 's/foo/bar/g' myFile.txt.bak > myFile.txt and make it into a shell script with three parameters. First two parameters are the string and string replacement and the third is file. So far this is what I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gordonheimer
5 Replies

6. Web Development

Apache log with long strings of Xs in GET request

Hi everybody, I was looking at my apache2 log and I found GET requests as such: Some ip - - "GET... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing or removing a long list of pattern by using awk or sed

Input: >abc|123456|def|EXIT| >abc|203456|def|EXIT2| >abc|234056|def|EXIT3| >abc|340056|def|EXIT4| >abc|456000|def|EXIT5| . . . Output: def|EXIT| def|EXIT2| def|EXIT3| def|EXIT4| def|EXIT5| . . My try code: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

best method of replacing multiple strings in multiple files - sed or awk? most simple preferred :)

Hi guys, say I have a few files in a directory (58 text files or somthing) each one contains mulitple strings that I wish to replace with other strings so in these 58 files I'm looking for say the following strings: JAM (replace with BUTTER) BREAD (replace with CRACKER) SCOOP (replace... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing strings

The code below gives the string "test1.txt" even though "tessdsdt" does not match "test1.txt". I would like to return "" if there is no match and return some kind of error that I can capture and decide what to do. echo test1.txt | awk -v src="tessdsdt" -v dst="test" '{sub(src,dst); print}' (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
16 Replies

10. Solaris

Replacing a string in a long list of files

I have a script that needs to read a file with a long list of /path/filenames - replace the name of the server in each file - and write the file to the same path with a date extension. This is the script that I have so far #!/bin/ksh umask 022 LIST=`scripts.list` for i in $LIST do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjdamon
2 Replies
Ns_Url(3aolserver)					   AOLserver Library Procedures 					Ns_Url(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Ns_AbsoluteUrl, Ns_ParseUrl, Ns_RelativeUrl, Ns_SkipUrl - URL manipulation routines SYNOPSIS
#include "ns.h" int Ns_AbsoluteUrl(Ns_DString *pds, char *url, char *baseurl) int Ns_ParseUrl(char *url, char **pprotocol, char **phost, char **pport, char **ppath, char **ptail) char * Ns_RelativeUrl(char *url, char *location) char * Ns_SkipUrl(Ns_Request *request, int n) _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Ns_AbsoluteUrl(pds, url, baseurl) Construct an URL based on baseurl but with as many parts of the incomplete url as possible. Return NS_OK or NS_ERROR. Ns_ParseUrl(url, pprotocol, phost, pport, ppath, ptail) Parse a URL into its component parts. Pointers to the protocol, host, port, path, and "tail" (last path element) will be set by ref- erence in the passed-in pointers. The passed-in url will be modified. Ns_RelativeUrl(url, location) If the url passed in is for this server, then the initial part of the URL is stripped off. e.g., on a server whose location is http://www.foo.com, Ns_RelativeUrl of "http://www.foo.com/hello" will return "/hello". Returns a pointer to the beginning of the relative url in the passed-in url, or NULL if error. Will set errno on error. Ns_SkipUrl(request, n) Return a pointer n elements into the request's url. SEE ALSO
nsd(1), info(n) KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 Ns_Url(3aolserver)