Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming `strcat' makes pointer from integer without a cast Post 302262514 by cdbug on Thursday 27th of November 2008 06:53:53 PM
Old 11-27-2008
`strcat' makes pointer from integer without a cast

A question to ask.

seq1 = "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee";
seq2 = "dddddddddddddddddddd";
char a = '*';

strcat(*seq2, &a);
strcat(*seq1, seq2);

compilation
warning: passing arg 1 of `strcat' makes pointer from integer without a cast

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Will we get SEGV if we try to “delete []” un-initialized integer pointer variable.

I have a class with an integer pointer, which I have not initialized to NULL in the constructor. For example: class myclass { private: char * name; int *site; } myclass:: myclass(....) : name(NULL) { ..... } other member function “delete “ the variable before... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshreddi_ps
2 Replies

2. Programming

comparison between pointer and integer

I received a warning when I tried to compile my program that said: warning: comparison between pointer and integer Could you please explain to me what this means, and in what ways I could possibly fix this? Thanks for your help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjung10
2 Replies

3. Programming

strcat() dumping core

strcat dumping core in the situation like main() { char* item; char* p=sat_item; char type; item=(char*) malloc(strlen(p)); strncpy(type,p,4); type='\0'; strcat(item,type); //dumping core } I couldn't get why strcat dumping core? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

strcat equivalent in shell scripting

Hi all, How does string concatenation work in shell scripting? I basically have a variable called "string" and I want to add the strings "aaa" "bbb" "ccc" "ddd" to the variable "string". These strings would be added based on some conditions and separated by spaces . So "string" might look... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixmat1
8 Replies

5. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

6. Programming

warning: passing arg 1 of `inet_addr' makes pointer from integer without a cast

I use solaris10,following is tcp client code: #include "cliserv.h" int main(int argc,char argv){ struct sockaddr_in serv; char request,reply; int sockfd,n; if(argc!=2) err_quit("usage: tcpclient <IP address of server>"); if((sockfd=socket(PF_INET,SOCK_STREAM,0))<0) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: konvalo
1 Replies

7. Programming

strcat outputs garbage

Anyone have any ideas why when using strcat function I would get some garbage at the beginning of the output string? what I'm doing is something like the following example. Code: char temp; char tempHolder; for(int i=0;i<something;i++){ sprintf(temp,"%u ", someVariable);... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: airon23bball
2 Replies

8. Programming

warning: comparison between pointer and integer

Hi guys :D I am still playing with my C handbook and yes, as you can see I have small problem as always :cool: I wrote a C code #include <stdio.h> #define MESSAGE 100 int main(void) { char input_mes - Pastebin.com And when I try to compile it I get following errors from gcc ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting vowels in string. "Comparison pointer-integer".

I'm trying to write a programme which scans strings to find how many vowels they contain. I get an error saying that I'm trying to compare a pointer and an integer inif(*v == scanme){. How can I overcome this ? Also, the programme seems to scan only the first word of a string e.g.: if I type "abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fakuse
1 Replies

10. Programming

strcat in C

Hello, #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> void main() { char tab={"12"}; FILE *outfile; char *outname = "/home/dir/"; printf("%s",strcat(outname,tab)); outfile = fopen(strcat(outname,tab), "w"); if (!outfile) { printf("There was a problem opening %s for writing\n", outname); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
2 Replies
STRCAT(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 STRCAT(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat - concatenate two strings SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char *strcat(char *dest, const char *src); char *strncat(char *dest, const char *src, size_t n); DESCRIPTION
The strcat() function appends the src string to the dest string, overwriting the null byte ('') at the end of dest, and then adds a ter- minating null byte. The strings may not overlap, and the dest string must have enough space for the result. The strncat() function is similar, except that * it will use at most n characters from src; and * src does not need to be null-terminated if it contains n or more characters. As with strcat(), the resulting string in dest is always null-terminated. If src contains n or more characters, strncat() writes n+1 characters to dest (n from src plus the terminating null byte). Therefore, the size of dest must be at least strlen(dest)+n+1. A simple implementation of strncat() might be: char* strncat(char *dest, const char *src, size_t n) { size_t dest_len = strlen(dest); size_t i; for (i = 0 ; i < n && src[i] != '' ; i++) dest[dest_len + i] = src[i]; dest[dest_len + i] = ''; return dest; } RETURN VALUE
The strcat() and strncat() functions return a pointer to the resulting string dest. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, C89, C99. SEE ALSO
bcopy(3), memccpy(3), memcpy(3), strcpy(3), strncpy(3), wcscat(3), wcsncat(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2008-06-13 STRCAT(3)