Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help needed to understand the process entry in ps -ef Post 302262321 by demwz on Thursday 27th of November 2008 02:29:59 AM
Old 11-27-2008
It is very comon that shell scripts are executing subshells. this hppen f.eg. every time u use a | or a () statement. also some loop constructs are running in a subshell.
U can determine the parent in the 2. culoumn of the ps command.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Runaway process. Opinions needed

not too long ago, i wrote a very short script that will bring up 4 customized xterms. The script went completely abnormal simply because of an error I had made in a while loop. This script took control of the system and rendered everything useless. The system admin team which i was part of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

process automation ...help needed

hi all i am working in a organisation where we are using Ab Initio tool for datawarehousing purpose.Ab initio is installed on a unix environment.after developing the code we migrate it to production using certain commands which gets executed in the unix box.there are specific number of predefined... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - understand process status and continue the code execution

Hello, I need advice on how to check if started processes are finished in perl, here's explanation : OS is RHEL 4, perl -v = "This is perl, v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi" The logic of the script : #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; $param1 = $ARGV; $param2 = $ARGV; $param3 =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysgate
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

to understand stopped process in top

Hi, top process is shows like this in solaris server oracle 8i running: load averages: 5.01, 3.35, 2.82 18:24:45 344 processes: 332 sleeping, 5 running, 2 stopped, 5 on cpu CPU states: 22.2% idle, 29.6% user, 14.7% kernel, 33.5% iowait, 0.0% swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.gr
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in killing a process

I'm trying to kill a process which is in sleep mode and the parent PID is 1 but I can't kill it with "kill -9" command. Is there a way to kill this process without rebooting? Any help will be appreciated. Steve (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed to understand partitions in linux

Hi guys, It has been more than 2 month i switched to linux but i m still very much confused how linux handles and names the partitions. I have gone through couple of beginners material and found linux doesnt treat partitions as c: and d: instead it uses /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2 hda3 .But now i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Idea needed regarding process related script

I want to write a script which will take two time as input parameters and display the details of running processes between the two times, any ideas about the script ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandip250382
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Trying to understand the boot process

I understand the OBP program looks for the boot-device, loads the bootblk (located on physical disk sectors 1 through 15). Then the secondary boot program, /platform/`arch -k`/ufsboot is run. This program loads the kernel core image files (genunix and unix). So how does it uses the ufsboot and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MR.bean
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process to read a new file entry and execute a command

I need to develop a process/daemon which will constantly monitor a file for new entry and execute a command. for eg, there is a file /var/log/inotify.log When a new entry like below gets appeneded to this file, execute the command as follows. /home/user/public_html/bad.php|CREATE ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies
RATFOR(1)						      General Commands Manual							 RATFOR(1)

NAME
ratfor - rational Fortran dialect SYNOPSIS
ratfor [ option ... ] [ filename ... ] DESCRIPTION
Ratfor converts a rational dialect of Fortran into ordinary irrational Fortran. Ratfor provides control flow constructs essentially iden- tical to those in C: statement grouping: { statement; statement; statement } decision-making: if (condition) statement [ else statement ] switch (integer value) { case integer: statement ... [ default: ] statement } loops: while (condition) statement for (expression; condition; expression) statement do limits statement repeat statement [ until (condition) ] break next and some syntactic sugar to make programs easier to read and write: free form input: multiple statements/line; automatic continuation comments: # this is a comment translation of relationals: >, >=, etc., become .GT., .GE., etc. return (expression) returns expression to caller from function define: define name replacement include: include filename Ratfor is best used with f77(1). SEE ALSO
f77(1) B. W. Kernighan and P. J. Plauger, Software Tools, Addison-Wesley, 1976. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 RATFOR(1)