Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Use a Serial Console with Mac OS X Leopard Post 302262270 by joecassara on Wednesday 26th of November 2008 11:47:21 PM
Old 11-27-2008
Use a Serial Console with Mac OS X Leopard

I'm trying to use an old Commodore 128D as a terminal to access OS X's shell via a serial port. I've used 'screen' and 'zterm' to ensure the two machines are successfully interfaced.

Instructions for opening up the serial console on other Unix-y operating systems don't work with OS X Leopard. My serial port is /dev/tty.usbserial.

* Activating the serial console in /etc/ttys -- No luck

* /usr/libexec/./getty std.9600 /dev/tty.usbserial -- Seem to do nothing

* screen /dev/tty.usbserial -- The Mac and 128D communicate with each other, but a shell is NOT opened on the 128D

I've scoured the internet for a solution to no avail. All I've found are procedues for OS X Server, using SerialTerminalSupport, but I don't have Server.

Any ideas?

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mac backup script in leopard

Hi all I had a nice simple backup script on my mac running Tiger. I used an Automator 'Run Shell Script' command that loaded psync and backed up one directory on an external drive to a directory on another external drive. This was the command /usr/local/bin/runpsync 0 0 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Billy T
1 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

loading MAC X 5.0(leopard) on a X86 laptop

I want to install MAC X 5.x on my T60 Lenova laptop. I have the Original Mac X 5.0 installation media. I tried to install it on a blank hard disk in my laptop but it doesn't work. On the internet I found sites that offer torrent downloads but I can't use torrent downloads on my laptop. (Corp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mndavies
1 Replies
scc(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						    scc(7)

NAME
scc - Serial keyboard/mouse/communications interface SYNOPSIS
controller scc0 at tc0 slot 3 vector sccintr DESCRIPTION
Two base board Zilog scc dual UARTS provide DEC 3000 series personal systems with keyboard, mouse, and serial communications interfaces. The serial communications interfaces can operate at baud rates from B50 to B57600 (see tty(7)). The driver for the scc interface supports hardware flow control using the Request to Send (RTS) and Clear to Send (CTS) signals. When hardware flow control is enabled, the flow of input data is controlled by the RTS signal and the flow of output data is controlled by the CTS signal. If the CTS signal is off, the driver will suspend output to that line until the CTS lead is reasserted. Likewise, the driver will turn off the RTS lead to tell the device connected to the line to stop sending data as a result of congestion on the host side. When the condition clears, the driver will turn on the RTS lead to tell the device to resume sending data. In alternate console configurations (that is, no graphics head), communications port 2 (/dev/tty01) becomes the system console. The serial system console port always operates at 9600 BPS, 8-bits, no parity. No modem or hardware flow control is supported. RESTRICTIONS
Data communications equipment attached to the console serial port in alternate console configurations must be set to 9600 BPS, 8-bits, no parity. The scc driver enforces this restriction. Only communications port 1 (/dev/tty00) includes full modem control. FILES
console terminal local terminal local terminal RELATED INFORMATION
console(7), devio(7), modem(7), tty(7), MAKEDEV(8) delim off scc(7)