Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Use a Serial Console with Mac OS X Leopard Post 302262270 by joecassara on Wednesday 26th of November 2008 11:47:21 PM
Old 11-27-2008
Use a Serial Console with Mac OS X Leopard

I'm trying to use an old Commodore 128D as a terminal to access OS X's shell via a serial port. I've used 'screen' and 'zterm' to ensure the two machines are successfully interfaced.

Instructions for opening up the serial console on other Unix-y operating systems don't work with OS X Leopard. My serial port is /dev/tty.usbserial.

* Activating the serial console in /etc/ttys -- No luck

* /usr/libexec/./getty std.9600 /dev/tty.usbserial -- Seem to do nothing

* screen /dev/tty.usbserial -- The Mac and 128D communicate with each other, but a shell is NOT opened on the 128D

I've scoured the internet for a solution to no avail. All I've found are procedues for OS X Server, using SerialTerminalSupport, but I don't have Server.

Any ideas?

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mac backup script in leopard

Hi all I had a nice simple backup script on my mac running Tiger. I used an Automator 'Run Shell Script' command that loaded psync and backed up one directory on an external drive to a directory on another external drive. This was the command /usr/local/bin/runpsync 0 0 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Billy T
1 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

loading MAC X 5.0(leopard) on a X86 laptop

I want to install MAC X 5.x on my T60 Lenova laptop. I have the Original Mac X 5.0 installation media. I tried to install it on a blank hard disk in my laptop but it doesn't work. On the internet I found sites that offer torrent downloads but I can't use torrent downloads on my laptop. (Corp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mndavies
1 Replies
cyclades-devices(5)													       cyclades-devices(5)

NAME
cyclades-devices - tables for driving cyclades-serial-client DESCRIPTION
The cyclades-devices file supplies all mapping between Unix device files (/dev/*) and the addresses of serial ports of Cyclades Terminal Servers. It contains one entry for each serial port, with the following format: device:rastype:rasname:physport:type:options Note: A # character at beginning of line indicates a comment The entry fields are: devname - A full pathname of the file that will be associated to the serial port. It must start with a "/dev/" preffix. Two naming schemes may be used here: - devname does not exist, and will be linked to a free pseudo-tty. This is the default behavior of cyclades-ser- cli. - devname is the name of a valid slave pseudo-tty. In this case, the '-t 1' option must be assigned in options field. (Note: this option is not supported by this release). rastype - Terminal Server type: - prts, for Cyclades Pr302X/TS Terminal Servers. - path, for Cyclades PathRAS Terminal Server. rasname - Host Name or IP Address of the Terminal Server where the serial port resides. physport - Number of physical port in the Terminal Server. If treated as the IP address associated with this port, in a IP-based addressing scheme. type - Server type that will be contacted to handle the serial port: - rtelnet, for Remote Telnet Server - socket, for Socket Server options - Per-port specific options, passed to cyclades-ser-cli program. EXAMPLES
1. Device on a PR3020/TS Terminal Server pr3k Port 1, accessed through /dev/ctty01 device file name, using telnet protocol (remote telnet server) /dev/ctty01:prts:pr3k:1:rtelnet: 2. The same device, but with an IP address pr3k_port1 associated to the serial port (IP-based port addressing) /dev/ctty01:prts:pr3k_port1:0:rtelnet: 3. Device on a PathRAS Terminal Server pr3k Port 2, accessed through /dev/ctty02 device file name, using socket protocol (socket server) /dev/ctty02:path:pr3k:2:socket: FILES
/etc/cyclades-devices This file SEE ALSO
cyclades-serial-client(1), cyclades-ser-cli(1) cyclades-devices(5)