Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo on several lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echo on several lines Post 302262227 by chebarbudo on Wednesday 26th of November 2008 04:55:34 PM
Old 11-26-2008
Thanks chatwizrd,
Can you be more explicit, I don't really understand you. The point is not to do all the actions together but one after the other. After each action is completed, I want to display a certain percentage on line one.
For example, here is a script named icandothat:
Code:
~# cat icandothat
action1() { echo 'doing action1...'; sleep 3; }
action2() { echo 'doing action2...'; sleep 5; }
action3() { echo 'doing action3...'; sleep 2; }
echo '0%   completed'
action1
echo '30%  completed'
action2
echo '80%  completed'
action3
echo '100% completed'

Here is the result of this script at different times (left) compared to the result of a so called script icannotdothat (right). The script I would like to be able to write is the script on the right.
T=0
Code:
~# icandothat                 ~# icannotdothat
0%   completed                0%   completed
doing action1...              doing action1...

T=3 seconds
Code:
0%   completed                30%  completed
30%  completed                doing action2...
doing action2...

T=8 seconds
Code:
0%   completed                80%  completed
doing action2...              doing action3...
80%  completed
doing action3...

T=10 seconds
Code:
0%   completed                100% completed
doing action2...              doing action3...
80%  completed                ~#
doing action3...
100% completed
~#

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combine 2 lines (command & echo)

does anyone know how to combine 2 lines? this is what im playing around with. (filename: online, user name: prml0001, real name: primal) #!/bin/sh who | grep $1 > /dev/null if then grep $1 /etc/passwd | cut -f 5, -d : echo is logged on exit 0 else grep $1... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo a block of lines

echo "line 1" echo "line 2" echo "..." echo "..." echo "line n-1" echo "line n" How can I echo n number of lines with one 'echo' command? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girisha
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo multiple lines

I have a code: echo "First Line ^M Second Line" | mail -s "Lines" abc@gmail.com Basically, I want to send an email with text in this format: First Line Second Line But there is something wrong with my 'echo'. The ^M is not interpreted as carriage return. Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laiko
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo print in different lines within email sent by Cron job

Hi all, I think this could have a simple solution, just I canīt get it so far. I have the script below that includes several echo commands in order to show that every part of the script have been executed. A cron job executes this script and when is completed the output is sent by email. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo printing a line in 2 lines; expected to print in one line

Dear All, fileName: therm.txt nc3h7o2h 7/27/98 thermc 3h 8o 2 0g 300.000 5000.000 1390.000 41 1.47017550e+01 1.71731699e-02-5.91205329e-06 9.21842570e-10-5.36438880e-14 2 -2.99988556e+04-4.93387892e+01 2.34710908e+00 4.34517484e-02-2.65357553e-05 3 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script: Echo continuation across many lines

I am writing a bash script that automatically generates a macro program. I want to have an echo on multiple lines and getting an error /home/chaos/instru-correct.sh: line 309: command line is: command not found I am using echo "# The general synopsis of the $mfl" \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies
AIO_ERROR(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual						      AIO_ERROR(2)

NAME
aio_error -- retrieve error status of asynchronous I/O operation (REALTIME) LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <aio.h> int aio_error(const struct aiocb *aiocbp); DESCRIPTION
The aio_error() system call returns the error status of the asynchronous I/O request associated with the structure pointed to by aiocbp. RETURN VALUES
If the asynchronous I/O request has completed successfully, aio_error() returns 0. If the request has not yet completed, EINPROGRESS is returned. If the request has completed unsuccessfully, the error status is returned as described in read(2), write(2), or fsync(2) is returned. On failure, aio_error() returns -1 and sets errno to indicate the error condition. ERRORS
The aio_error() system call will fail if: [EINVAL] The aiocbp argument does not reference an outstanding asynchronous I/O request. SEE ALSO
aio_cancel(2), aio_read(2), aio_return(2), aio_suspend(2), aio_write(2), fsync(2), read(2), write(2), aio(4) STANDARDS
The aio_error() system call is expected to conform to the IEEE Std 1003.1 (``POSIX.1'') standard. HISTORY
The aio_error() system call first appeared in FreeBSD 3.0. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>. BSD
June 2, 1999 BSD