Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: exiting from a loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting exiting from a loop Post 302262225 by hcclnoodles on Wednesday 26th of November 2008 04:52:36 PM
Old 11-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatwizrd
Why do you need a exit, break or continue have you tried just without all those?
The reason I need to quit from the loop is because each function is required only upon the success of the previous function, so in this case, I dont want to waste the time and resources attempting to run function2 if function1 has failed, (there are many of these related functions which are all reliant on the success of the previous one but my example shows just two)

If function1 has failed (i.e. a ping check fails in the example given above) I do not want it to move on to function2 (which checks the contents of a file) but to instead quit out of that loop and move onto the next loop item which will start at function1 again

The idea being like a series of sequential tests with only the loop items that pass every function test getting to the very last function

I can achieve this successfully via a series of nested if's upon more nested if's or indeed if I place the if statements within the body of the "for" loop (as stated above)...but i dont really want to do that as I would prefer to get this all working with functions

hope that makes it clearer

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

exiting in c

how can i exit in a c program i have tried system ("exit"); but this doesnt seem to work just wondered if you could help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruffenator
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Exiting while true loop when terminal is not the focus window

I am running an Ubuntu Gutsy laptop with Advanced Compiz fusion options enabled. I am using xdotool to simulate keyboard input in order to rotate through multiple desktops. I am looking for a way to kill a while true loop when the Enter key (or Control+C if it is easier) is pushed when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acclaypool
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Else Loop Exiting Early

All, I'm having a problem w/this function. Specifically, I want to call another function (get_stats) when the process in the else completes (the initial if and the elsif seem to work fine). But what's happening is the get_stats function call is running after the else runs only once, NOT when it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GregWold
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"while read ..." loop exiting after reading only one record

Greeting, The following script completes after reading only one record from the input file that contains many records. I commented out the "ssh" and get what I expect, an echo of all the records in the input.txt file. Is ssh killing the file handle? On the box "uname -a" gives "SunOS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twk
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in exiting a loop

Hi my code looks like: if test $STEP -le 10 then . . ls -1d AM*-OUT|while read MYDIR do cd $MYDIR ls |tail -n1| while read MYFILE do . . if test -s $MYFILE then sqlldr .... rc=$? if test $rc -ne 0 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anijan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop Forever Script Strangely Exiting

Hi, I have a really simple script which I want to run forever, inside the loop it runs a C application which if it exits should restart. #!/bin/sh while true do ./SCF scf.conf >> scf.log sleep 2 done For some reason the SCF C application coredumps and the script is exiting.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marvinwright
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem exiting a WHILE loop in ksh

Hi I am having a problem exiting a WHILE loop. I am on a Sun server using ksh. I am running a Veritas Cluster Software (High Availablity) command to obtain a group status and grepping the command output for status "G" which means that the filesystem is frozen and therefore not available to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigbuk
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Exiting signal 6

Hello all, I have a problem when installing Solaris 10 on Enterprise 450. I booted from dvd, then the installation was started. The error appeared after determining the installation method, F2-Standard, F?-Flash...... The error was Exiting signal 6. Please, need help. Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hardono
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

While Loop Exiting

We are trying to design a flow so that an ETL job shouldn't start until the previous job completes. The script we have written is while ; do sleep 2; done The loop however exits even when the process is actually running. Why could this be happening? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome_rajan
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop exiting

Hi , I am processing some files using below shell script the problem for loop exit after processing some files even though it exist.After modifying file.txt and rerunning the script and its running .Any Advise for i in `cat /xx/file.txt |tr -s "," '\n' ` ; do echo $i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan705
3 Replies
foreach(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							foreach(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
foreach - Iterate over all elements in one or more lists SYNOPSIS
foreach varname list body foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The foreach command implements a loop where the loop variable(s) take on values from one or more lists. In the simplest case there is one loop variable, varname, and one list, list, that is a list of values to assign to varname. The body argument is a Tcl script. For each element of list (in order from first to last), foreach assigns the contents of the element to varname as if the lindex command had been used to extract the element, then calls the Tcl interpreter to execute body. In the general case there can be more than one value list (e.g., list1 and list2), and each value list can be associated with a list of loop variables (e.g., varlist1 and varlist2). During each iteration of the loop the variables of each varlist are assigned consecutive values from the corresponding list. Values in each list are used in order from first to last, and each value is used exactly once. The total number of loop iterations is large enough to use up all the values from all the value lists. If a value list does not contain enough elements for each of its loop variables in each iteration, empty values are used for the missing elements. The break and continue statements may be invoked inside body, with the same effect as in the for command. Foreach returns an empty string. EXAMPLES
This loop prints every value in a list together with the square and cube of the value: set values {1 3 5 7 2 4 6 8} ;# Odd numbers first, for fun! puts "Value Square Cube" ;# Neat-looking header foreach x $values { ;# Now loop and print... puts " $x [expr {$x**2}] [expr {$x**3}]" } The following loop uses i and j as loop variables to iterate over pairs of elements of a single list. set x {} foreach {i j} {a b c d e f} { lappend x $j $i } # The value of x is "b a d c f e" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. The next loop uses i and j to iterate over two lists in parallel. set x {} foreach i {a b c} j {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j } # The value of x is "a d b e c f {} g" # There are 4 iterations of the loop. The two forms are combined in the following example. set x {} foreach i {a b c} {j k} {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j $k } # The value of x is "a d e b f g c {} {}" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. SEE ALSO
for(n), while(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
foreach, iteration, list, looping Tcl foreach(n)