Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo on several lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echo on several lines Post 302262214 by chatwizrd on Wednesday 26th of November 2008 03:52:19 PM
Old 11-26-2008
I dont think so because it cant go to the next action until it completes the first.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combine 2 lines (command & echo)

does anyone know how to combine 2 lines? this is what im playing around with. (filename: online, user name: prml0001, real name: primal) #!/bin/sh who | grep $1 > /dev/null if then grep $1 /etc/passwd | cut -f 5, -d : echo is logged on exit 0 else grep $1... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo a block of lines

echo "line 1" echo "line 2" echo "..." echo "..." echo "line n-1" echo "line n" How can I echo n number of lines with one 'echo' command? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girisha
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo multiple lines

I have a code: echo "First Line ^M Second Line" | mail -s "Lines" abc@gmail.com Basically, I want to send an email with text in this format: First Line Second Line But there is something wrong with my 'echo'. The ^M is not interpreted as carriage return. Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laiko
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo print in different lines within email sent by Cron job

Hi all, I think this could have a simple solution, just I canīt get it so far. I have the script below that includes several echo commands in order to show that every part of the script have been executed. A cron job executes this script and when is completed the output is sent by email. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo printing a line in 2 lines; expected to print in one line

Dear All, fileName: therm.txt nc3h7o2h 7/27/98 thermc 3h 8o 2 0g 300.000 5000.000 1390.000 41 1.47017550e+01 1.71731699e-02-5.91205329e-06 9.21842570e-10-5.36438880e-14 2 -2.99988556e+04-4.93387892e+01 2.34710908e+00 4.34517484e-02-2.65357553e-05 3 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script: Echo continuation across many lines

I am writing a bash script that automatically generates a macro program. I want to have an echo on multiple lines and getting an error /home/chaos/instru-correct.sh: line 309: command line is: command not found I am using echo "# The general synopsis of the $mfl" \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies
XtCallActionProc()														XtCallActionProc()

Name
  XtCallActionProc - explicitly invoke a named action procedure.

Synopsis
  void XtCallActionProc(widget, action, event, params, num_params)
	   Widget widget;
	   String action;
	   XEvent *event;
	   String *params;
	   Cardinal num_params;

Inputs
  widget    Specifies the widget in which the action is to be invoked; must be of class Core or any subclass thereof.

action    Specifies the name of the action routine.

event     Specifies the event to pass to the action procedure.

params    Specifies parameters to pass to the action procedure.

num_params
	    Specifies the number of elements in the params array.

Description
  XtCallActionProc()  looks  up the action procedure named action and invokes it, passing widget, event, params, and num_params as arguments.
  Before calling the named action, XtCallActionProc() invokes any action hook procedures that have been registered with XtAppAddActionHook().

It is the responsibility of the caller to ensure that the contents of the event, params, and num_params arguments are appropriate  for  the
  specified  action routine and, if necessary, that the specified widget is realized and/or sensitive.	If the named action routine cannot be
  found, XtCallActionProc() generates a warning message and returns.

When searching for the action procedure, XtCallActionProc() looks in the following places:

o  The widget's class and all superclass action tables, in subclass-to-superclass order.

o  The parent's class and all superclass action tables, in subclass-to-superclass order, then on up the ancestor tree.

o  The action tables registered with XtAppAddActions() and XtAddActions() from the most recently added table to the oldest table.

See Also
  XtAppAddActionHook(1), XtRemoveActionHook(1),
  XtActionHookProc(2).

Xt - Translations and Actions													XtCallActionProc()