Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Resizing and repartitioning NTFS with gParted? Post 302262100 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 26th of November 2008 10:40:57 AM
Old 11-26-2008
I recommend that you use the Vista Shrink Volume tool.

Note that sometimes this tool does not work because because there are immovable system files at the very end of the volume, typically the MFT, or Master File Table for the volume.

Do a Web search for "Vista Making Shrink Volume work" and you will find instructions for how to deal with this issue.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

repartitioning

Hi. I am working on a Sunblade with Solaris 8 installed. 2 hard disks, not mirrored or striped. The person who set it up originally had not given /usr it's own partition. The second disk is one large partition with a directory mounted on it. We are running Apache on this machine to work with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmh
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Repartitioning hard drive on Solaris10

Hello, Is it possible to repartition hard drive on Solaris10 without deleting all the content of the drive? I have a workstation with 40G drive that has two partitions 4G and 36G. The big partition is allocated for /export/home and small for everything else (don't ask me why, I did not set it up... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pn8830
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do I have partitions with one command but not in gparted

Hi, I used gparted in ubuntu to re partiton my slave hard drive so according to it I just have a logical drive with one partition in it. But when I do sfdisk -l I get: Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System /dev/sdb1 0+ 9728 9729- 78148161 83 Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Gparted, NTFS, Partitions, and power failures.

Having just installed mint on my new raptor, I decided I was going to removel the old unix partition from my NTFS back up drive, and resize the NTFS partition to fill the full 500gigs instead of just 300. While resizing the 300 gig to fill the full drive my computer shut off. When I booted back... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Methal
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Metaset repartitioning

Dear all, This metaset stuff drive me crazy. The story begin with the Solaris 8 upgrade.... We have a pair of Solaris 8 with Sun Cluster 3.1, to prevent a long downtime, the Live Upgrade was chosen. As metadb cannot use LU to upgrade directly, we remove the diskset before upgrade, and put it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: donaldfoo
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Live Linux Cd's with gparted

Which Live Linux Cd's have gparted? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Ubuntu very slow after repartitioning

Good evening, i don't know if this is the right section, so forgive me if it's wrong. i have an Asus Gl503v in dual boot w10-ubuntu18. hard disk is hybrid ssd-hhd. w10 is the native system and it is on ssd. I partitioned the hdd left a part ntfs and a part ext4. In the ext4 part i created... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcov
15 Replies
scrounge-ntfs(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  scrounge-ntfs(8)

NAME
scrounge-ntfs -- helps retrieve data from corrupted NTFS partitions SYNOPSIS
scrounge-ntfs -l disk scrounge-ntfs -s disk scrounge-ntfs [-m mftoffset] [-c clustersize] [-o outdir] disk start end DESCRIPTION
scrounge-ntfs is a utility that can rescue data from corrupted NTFS partitions. It writes the files retrieved to another working file system. Certain information about the partition needs to be known in advance. The -l mode is meant to be run in advance of the data corruption, with the output stored away in a file. This allows scrounge-ntfs to recover data reliably. See the 'NOTES' section below for recover info when this isn't the case. OPTIONS
The options are as follows: -c The cluster size (in sectors). When not specified a default of 8 is used. -l List partition information for a drive. This will only work when the partition table for the given drive is intact. -m When recovering data this specifies the location of the MFT from the beginning of the partition (in sectors). If not specified then no directory information can be used, that is, all rescued files will be written to the same directory. -o Directory to put rescued files in. If not specified then files will be placed in the current directory. -s Search disk for partition information. (Not implemented yet). disk The raw device used to access the disk which contains the NTFS partition to rescue files from. eg: '/dev/hdc' start The beginning of the NTFS partition (in sectors). end The end of the NTFS partition (in sectors) NOTES
If you plan on using this program sucessfully you should prepare in advance by storing a copy of the partition information. Use the -l option to do this. Eventually searching for disk partition information will be implemented, which will solve this problem. When only one partition exists on a disk or you want to rescue the first partition there are ways to guess at the sector sizes and MFT loca- tion. See the scrounge-ntfs web page for more info: http://memberwebs.com/swalter/software/scrounge/ AUTHOR
Stef Walter <stef@memberwebs.com> scrounge-ntfs June 1, 2019 scrounge-ntfs