Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Difference between tty and console devices ? Post 302262083 by vilius on Wednesday 26th of November 2008 10:00:06 AM
Old 11-26-2008
Difference between tty and console devices ?

Hi,

What is the diference between these two ?

thanks
Vilius

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to programm TTY devices under UNIX platform?

Dear Export, I want to begin an serial-communication application codes associated with TTY devices. But I don't know what key settings should be concerned after opening a TTY device file under UNIX plarform(SunOS 5.7)? Could you give me some adivce? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: WayneYang
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connecting to cisco devices via console

I use configure cisco devices daily using hyper terminal in windows via the serial port. Is there an alternative solution in unix that I can connect to a cisco console port via serial port? What application do I need?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dgroove3
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Send console message to all users and tty

Hi people, i tried to search in the forum... but didnt found the answer... Sometimes i need to send a console message to all users in all tty, like reboot or shutdown does... But i cant find how to do that. Someone know? Thanks a lot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfca
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between console and ttys

Sometimes when I open up the terminal (like just now) it says Last login: Wed Jun 17 07:29:25 on console sometimes it says ttys (like when I exit and open a new window/tab). What's the difference? and is something fishy going on? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Command to redirect console to my tty?

Is there a utility built into Solaris that will allow me to see console messages from a tty? I've done a search and see that this is possible through software like ILOM, but I'm looking for a method to do this with built in utilities. For example, on AIX, I can use swcons `tty` (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: makodarear
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are pseudo-tty devices? Is my /etc/securetty file contains any?

Hi , I have searched wiki for pseudo tty devices but it was very complex for me to understand. Can any one help me understanding concept behind pseudo-tty in layman language? According to security manual of our org /etc/securetty files shouldn't have any pseudo tty devices. i understand ttyX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between console and Terminal.

I see these terms used all the time with hardly any distinction between the two. Any clarification would be appreciated!:) I could only get emacs to open in console so I was also wondering what are the common applications to use in console.:wall: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between system console and ILOM .

HI Guru's Can any one explain me the difference between a system console and a ILOM (SC). Thanks in Advance. RK :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between /dev and devices

Please explain me the difference between /dev and devices.. Googled info is - /dev - where logical device names stores here devices - physical device info stores here... Could any one explain me.. the real difference and major one (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijaySolaris
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
SIGSETOPS(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						      SIGSETOPS(3)

NAME
sigemptyset, sigfillset, sigaddset, sigdelset, sigismember - POSIX signal set operations. SYNOPSIS
#include <signal.h> int sigemptyset(sigset_t *set); int sigfillset(sigset_t *set); int sigaddset(sigset_t *set, int signum); int sigdelset(sigset_t *set, int signum); int sigismember(const sigset_t *set, int signum); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): sigemptyset(), sigfillset(), sigaddset(), sigdelset(), sigismember(): _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 1 || _XOPEN_SOURCE || _POSIX_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
These functions allow the manipulation of POSIX signal sets. sigemptyset() initializes the signal set given by set to empty, with all signals excluded from the set. sigfillset() initializes set to full, including all signals. sigaddset() and sigdelset() add and delete respectively signal signum from set. sigismember() tests whether signum is a member of set. Objects of type sigset_t must be initialized by a call to either sigemptyset() or sigfillset() before being passed to the functions sigaddset(), sigdelset() and sigismember() or the additional glibc functions described below (sigisemptyset(), sigandset(), and sig- orset()). The results are undefined if this is not done. RETURN VALUE
sigemptyset(), sigfillset(), sigaddset(), and sigdelset() return 0 on success and -1 on error. sigismember() returns 1 if signum is a member of set, 0 if signum is not a member, and -1 on error. On error, these functions set errno to indicate the cause. ERRORS
EINVAL sig is not a valid signal. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Glibc notes If the _GNU_SOURCE feature test macro is defined, then <signal.h> exposes three other functions for manipulating signal sets. int sigisemptyset(sigset_t *set); returns 1 if set contains no signals, and 0 otherwise. int sigorset(sigset_t *dest, sigset_t *left, sigset_t *right); places the union of the sets left and right in dest. int sigandset(sigset_t *dest, sigset_t *left, sigset_t *right); places the intersection of the sets left and right in dest. sigorset() and sigandset() return 0 on success, and -1 on failure. These functions are nonstandard (a few other systems provide similar functions) and their use should be avoided in portable applications. SEE ALSO
sigaction(2), sigpending(2), sigprocmask(2), sigsuspend(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2013-04-19 SIGSETOPS(3)