Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: read a file line by line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read a file line by line Post 302262063 by radoulov on Wednesday 26th of November 2008 09:23:35 AM
Old 11-26-2008
You don't need a function:

Code:
while IFS= read -r; do
  yourfunction "$REPLY"
done<filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to read a line in gps receiver log file and append that line to new file

Hi, I have gps receiver log..its giving readings .like below Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'. GPSD,R=1 $GPGSV,3,1,11,08,16,328,40,11,36,127,00,28,33,283,39,20,11,165,00*71... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gudivada213
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file line by line and process the line to generate another file

Hi, i have file which contains data as below(Only sample shown, it may contain more data similar to the one shown here) i need to read this file line by line and generate an output file like the one below i.e based on N value the number of MSISDNs will vary, if N=1 then the following... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read a text file line by line & process it...

Hi , I am trying to write an shell, which reads a text file (from a location) having a list of numbers of strictly 5 digits only ex: 33144 Now my script will check : 1) that each entry is only 5 digits & numeric only, no alphabets, & its not empty. 2)then it executes a shell script called... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_to_shell
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read the contents of two files line by line and compare the line by line?

Hi All, I'm trying to figure out which are the trusted-ips and which are not using a script file.. I have a file named 'ip-list.txt' which contains some ip addresses and another file named 'trusted-ip-list.txt' which also contains some ip addresses. I want to read a line from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to read a file from particular line till required line and process

Hi All, Am trying to write wrapper shell/bash script on a utility tool for which i need to pass 2 files as arugment to execute utility tool. Wraper script am trying is to do with above metion 2 files. utility tool accepts : a. userinfo file : which contains username b. item file : which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file line by line and compare subset of 1st line with 2nd?

Hi all, I have a log file say Test.log that gets updated continuously and it has data in pipe separated format. A sample log file would look like: <date1>|<data1>|<url1>|<result1> <date2>|<data2>|<url2>|<result2> <date3>|<data3>|<url3>|<result3> <date4>|<data4>|<url4>|<result4> What I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

With script bash, read file line per line starting at the end

Hello, I'm works on Ubuntu server My goal : I would like to read file line per line, but i want to started at the end of file. Currently, I use instructions : while read line; do COMMAND done < /var/log/apache2/access.log But, the first line, i don't want this. The file is long... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fuziion
5 Replies
ldns-testns(1)						      General Commands Manual						    ldns-testns(1)

NAME
ldns-testns - simple fake nameserver tool SYNOPSYS
ldns-testns [ OPTION ] datafile DESCRIPTION
ldns-testns can be used to provide answers to DNS queries for testing. The answers are premade, and can be tailored to testing needs. The answers can be wildly invalid or unparseable. This program is a debugging aid. It is not efficient, especially with a long config file, but it can give any reply to any query. This can help the developer pre-script replies for queries. It listens to IP4 UDP and TCP by default. You can specify a packet RR by RR with header flags to return. ldns-testns is not meant for production use. OPTIONS
-r Listens to a random port. The port number is printed to stdout. -p port Listens to the specified port. -f num Forks this number of additional instances that serve the same ports and same datafile. They do not exit; printed is 'forked pid: <num>' and you have to kill them yourself. -v Outputs more debug information. It is possible to give this option multiple times to increase verbosity level. -6 Bind to IP6 address instead of IP4. Use together with -p. datafile The data file is read on start up. It contains queries and the packets that should be sent in answer to those queries. The data file format is explained below. DATA FILE FORMAT
The data file format has ';' to denote comment. A number of entries are processed first to last. The first matching entry is used to answer the query with. This is a line based format. DNS resource records are entered in zone-file format. You can use $ORIGIN and $TTL directives. Zone file '(' and ')' to span multiple lines are not allowed. $ORIGIN origin $TTL default_ttl ENTRY_BEGIN ; first give MATCH lines, that say what queries are matched ; by this entry. ; 'opcode' makes the query match the opcode from the reply ; if you leave it out, any opcode matches this entry. ; 'qtype' makes the query match the qtype from the reply ; 'qname' makes the query match the qname from the reply ; 'serial=1023' makes the query match if ixfr serial is 1023. MATCH [opcode] [qtype] [qname] [serial=<value>] MATCH [UDP|TCP] MATCH ... ; Then the REPLY header is specified. REPLY opcode, rcode or flags. (opcode) QUERY IQUERY STATUS NOTIFY UPDATE (rcode) NOERROR FORMERR SERVFAIL NXDOMAIN NOTIMPL YXDOMAIN YXRRSET NXRRSET NOTAUTH NOTZONE (flags) QR AA TC RD CD RA AD REPLY ... ; any additional actions to do. ADJUST copy_id ; 'copy_id' copies the ID from the query to the answer. ; 'sleep=10' sleeps for 10 seconds before giving the answer (TCP is open) ADJUST [sleep=<num>] ; sleep before giving any reply ADJUST [packet_sleep=<num>] ; sleep before this packet in sequence SECTION QUESTION <RRs, one per line> ; the RRcount is determined automatically. SECTION ANSWER <RRs, one per line> SECTION AUTHORITY <RRs, one per line> SECTION ADDITIONAL <RRs, one per line> EXTRA_PACKET ; follow with SECTION, REPLY for more packets. HEX_ANSWER_BEGIN ; follow with hex data ; this replaces any answer packet constructed ; with the SECTION keywords (only SECTION QUERY ; is used to match queries). If the data cannot ; be parsed, ADJUST rules for the answer packet ; are ignored HEX_ANSWER_END ENTRY_END AUTHOR
Written by the ldns team as an example for ldns usage, and for testing purposes. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <ldns-team@nlnetlabs.nl>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006-2008 NLnet Labs. This is free software. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. 14 Dec 2006 ldns-testns(1)