Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to count the occurence of a character in a line Post 302262032 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 26th of November 2008 08:00:14 AM
Old 11-26-2008
No duplicate or cross-posting, please read the rules.

Continue here:

https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...#post302262025

Thread closed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting occurence of a particular character on each line

Hi, I have the following data in a flat file: abcd_efgh_ijkl_20080522.dat|20080602222508|1357 abcd_efgh_ijkl_20080522.dat|20080602222508|1357 abcd_efgh_ijkl_20080522.dat|20080602222508|1357 I need to check the no. of occurence of "|" (pipe) on each line and the output should look like below:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hey_mak
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurence of a character in a line

Suppose i have data like :- 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c x,y,z,t I want to count the occurence of , (comma) in every line. Waiting for a solution. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit207
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count specific word or character per line

Hi, I need help regarding counting specific word or character per line and validate it against a specific number i.e 10. And if number of character equals the specific number then that line will be part of the output. Specific number = 6 Specific word or char = || Sample data:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janzper
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count character in one line

Please check the attachment for the example. Purpose: count how many "|" character in one line and also display the line number. expect result: Line 1 : there are 473 "|" characters Line 2 : there are 473 "|" characters I have tried to use awk to count it, it's ok when the statistic... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambious
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of character occurence but not from quotation marks

I have the following string: 31-01-2012, 09:42:37;OK;94727132638;"Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1)";3G;WAP;I need a script which is counting the occurrence of semicolons ( ; ) but exclude the ones from the quotation marks. In the string given as example there are 8 semicolons but the script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calinlicj
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to count character present in a line

Suppose i have multiple line like below in a file. ASDFAFAGAHAHAHA AGAHAHAJGAFAGAH AHAHAKAHAHAHAKA I need a bash script to count a character and also Also count the number of character present in each line . suppose for line 1: A=x, S=y, D=x and so on and total character=15. where x y and z is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: XXLMMN
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character count of each line

Hi, I have a file with more than 1000 lines. Most of the lines have 16 characters. I want to find out lines that have less than 14 characters (usually 12 or 13). wc -l gives me the line count and wc -c gives me the total characters in a file. I could not get the total characters for each line.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting the character count of the last line

I need the character count of the last line of each file in a directory, and not the total. Now I have been doing this but unfortunately, -exec doesn't support pipes: find sent/ -type f -exec tail -1|wc -c {} \; If I try this: find sent/ -type f -exec tail -1 {} \; | wc -c It will give... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - remove begin of line up to the third and including occurence of character

hello. How to remove all characters in a line from first character ( a $ ) until and including the third occurrence of that character ( $ ). Any help is welcome. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
INSTR(3)						       MBK UTILITY FUNCTIONS							  INSTR(3)

NAME
instr - find an occurence of a string in a string, starting at a specified character. ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSYS
#include "mut.h" char *instr(s, find, from) char *s, *find, from; PARAMETERS
s Pointer to the string to be searched for the pattern find Pointer to the string to be found, the pattern from Character to be searched backwards before searching for the pattern DESCRIPTION
instr searches the first occurence of the string find in the string s, starting its search at the last occurence of the from character in the string s. If either s or find is NULL, the function returns NULL. If from is (char)0, the pattern is searched from the begining of s. This quite exotic behaviour is useful to search the occurence of a name in a string resulting from a flatten, when only a terminal object name is to be taken into account. RETURN VALUES
instr return NULL either if the pattern find is not present in the searched string s, or if one at least of these two string are NULL. If the pattern is found, a value different from NULL is returned. EXAMPLE
#include "mut.h" /* check for the pattern 'ck' anywhere in the string */ #define contains_ck(name)instr(name, "ck", ' ') /* check for the pattern 'ck' in the signal name, not instance ones */ #define isclock(ptsig) instr(getsigname(ptsig), "ck", SEPAR) SEE ALSO
mbk(1), isvdd(3), isvss(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 INSTR(3)