Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I add 4 lines together and then read the next 4 lines? Post 302261696 by mr_andrew on Tuesday 25th of November 2008 11:05:47 AM
Old 11-25-2008
It is HP-UX Itanium

I didnt have the #!/usr/bin/sh first, but when I didnt see any output I added it.

[root@knasen]> awk
Usage: awk [-F fs][-v Assignment][-f Progfile|Program][Assignment|File] ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to read lines one by one from a file

I have one file in which some commands have written line line i have to read lines from this file(file name passed as avariable) and then i have to execute these commands.. how can i do it? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bihani4u
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read lines from file

i have a problem on my bourne shell script. I want to read line by line and then stop when the line does not have letters or is an empty string. But i encounter an error at "while ". The error nessage is "test.sh: test: unknown operator line". Can anyone help me on this thanks :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagolo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read some lines from file!!!

any idea please!!! I want to pick up all lines of "state" and "desc" from x files: ... # state blah blah blah blah ... .. # desc blah blah blah .... Thx Andy (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy2000
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count lines - ignoring blank lines and commented lines

What is the command to count lines in a files, but ignore blank lines and commented lines? I have a file with 4 sections in it, and I want each section to be counted, not including the blank lines and comments... and then totalled at the end. Here is an example of what I would like my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help!! Need script to read files and add values by lines...

Hi All, I really need your help. I am a begginner in shell script and I believe this is a very simple issue. I have in my directory, n-files, like 1.dhm, 2.dhm, 3.dhm. These files have 1 column with 1 value per line, like: 1.dhm ------ 10 20 30 40 50 2.dhm ------ 30 50 20 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhuertas
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read different lines into column

Dear experts, Need your great help ! The input file is as follows: Name: test01 Name UID: C7:9D:79:52:2A:3F:DF:11:A8:64:00:60:16:36:04:02 Shareable: YES HBA/SP Pairs: HBA UID SP Name SPPort ------- ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tojzz
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When reading a csv file, counter to read 20 lines and wait for minute then read next 20 till end

Hello All, i am a newbie and need some help when reading a csv file in a bourne shell script. I want to read 10 lines, then wait for a minute and then do a reading of another 10 lines and so on in the same way. I want to do this till the end of file. Any inputs are appreciated ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor.s
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract some lines from one file and add those lines to current file

hi, i have two files. file1.sh echo "unix" echo "linux" file2.sh echo "unix linux forums" now the output i need is $./file2.sh unix linux forums (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snreddy_gopu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read few last lines of a file

Hi, I have a txt file in below format - START 1 2 3 4 END START 5 6 7 8 END START 9 10 END (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
8 Replies
Df(3pm) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   Df(3pm)

NAME
Filesys::Df - Perl extension for filesystem disk space information. SYNOPSIS
use Filesys::Df; #### Get information by passing a scalar directory/filename value my $ref = df("/tmp"); # Default output is 1K blocks if(defined($ref)) { print "Total 1k blocks: $ref->{blocks} "; print "Total 1k blocks free: $ref->{bfree} "; print "Total 1k blocks avail to me: $ref->{bavail} "; print "Total 1k blocks used: $ref->{used} "; print "Percent full: $ref->{per} "; if(exists($ref->{files})) { print "Total inodes: $ref->{files} "; print "Total inodes free: $ref->{ffree} "; print "Inode percent full: $ref->{fper} "; } } #### Get information by passing a filehandle open(FILE, "some_file"); # Get information for filesystem at "some_file" my $ref = df(*FILE); #### or my $ref = df(*FILE); #### or my $fhref = *FILE; my $ref = df($fhref); #### Get information in other than 1k blocks my $ref = df("/tmp", 8192); # output is 8K blocks my $ref = df("/tmp", 1); # output is bytes DESCRIPTION
This module provides a way to obtain filesystem disk space information. This is a Unix only distribution. If you want to gather this information for Unix and Windows, use "Filesys::DfPortable". The only major benefit of using "Filesys::Df" over "Filesys::DfPortable", is that "Filesys::Df" supports the use of open filehandles as arguments. The module should work with all flavors of Unix that implement the "statvfs()" and "fstatvfs()" calls, or the "statfs()" and "fstatfs()" calls. This would include Linux, *BSD, HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, Mac OS X, Irix, Cygwin, etc ... "df()" requires a argument that represents the filesystem you want to query. The argument can be either a scalar directory/file name or a open filehandle. There is also an optional block size argument so you can tailor the size of the values returned. The default block size is 1024. This will cause the function to return the values in 1k blocks. If you want bytes, set the block size to 1. "df()" returns a reference to a hash. The keys available in the hash are as follows: "{blocks}" = Total blocks on the filesystem. "{bfree}" = Total blocks free on the filesystem. "{bavail}" = Total blocks available to the user executing the Perl application. This can be different than "{bfree}" if you have per-user quotas on the filesystem, or if the super user has a reserved amount. "{bavail}" can also be a negative value because of this. For instance if there is more space being used then you have available to you. "{used}" = Total blocks used on the filesystem. "{per}" = Percent of disk space used. This is based on the disk space available to the user executing the application. In other words, if the filesystem has 10% of its space reserved for the superuser, then the percent used can go up to 110%. You can obtain inode information through the module as well, but you must call "exists()" on the "{files}" key first, to make sure the information is available. Some filesystems may not return inode information, for example some NFS filesystems. Here are the available inode keys: "{files}" = Total inodes on the filesystem. "{ffree}" = Total inodes free on the filesystem. "{favail}" = Total inodes available to the user executing the application. See the rules for the "{bavail}" key. "{fused}" = Total inodes used on the filesystem. "{fper}" = Percent of inodes used on the filesystem. See rules for the "{per}" key. There are some undocumented keys that are defined to maintain backwards compatibilty: "{su_blocks}", "{user_blocks}", etc ... If the "df()" call fails for any reason, it will return undef. This will probably happen if you do anything crazy like try to get information for /proc, or if you pass an invalid filesystem name, or if there is an internal error. "df()" will "croak()" if you pass it a undefined value. Requirements: Your system must contain "statvfs()" and "fstatvfs()", or "statfs()" and "fstatfs()" You must be running Perl 5.6 or higher. AUTHOR
Ian Guthrie IGuthrie@aol.com Copyright (c) 2006 Ian Guthrie. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
statvfs(2), fstatvfs(2), statfs(2), fstatfs(2), df(1), Filesys::DfPortable perl(1). perl v5.14.2 2006-06-25 Df(3pm)