Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assigning values to an array via for/while loop Post 302261467 by fiori_musicali on Monday 24th of November 2008 09:07:41 PM
Old 11-24-2008
Code:
for i in 1 2 3 4 5; do
      arr[$i]=$(awk 'NR=="$i" { print $2 }' file_with_5_records)
done

Got that far.

So YES: my syntax was incorrect to begin with. I've been dabbling with programming so little that I still have trouble remembering that = is an assignment and not a comparison.

The script still doesn't do what I want because AWK doesn't know the value of $i. I need to pass it to AWK somehow, or come up with a different approach.

Any tips/workarounds...??

I'm really looking forward to getting stuck at some more profound obstacles...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning values to an array

The way I've been using arrays currently have been: #!/bin/ksh set -A myArray myArray=value1 myArray=value2 myArray=value3 myArray=value4 Is there a way I can assign values to an array that will automatically place the value into the next element in the array like: myArray=value1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: Assigning array values..

I have to add a variable value to an array, something like this: ...... @my_array_name = $value_of_this_variable; This doesnt seem to work, any ideas why? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning the values to an Array

hi every body, i donot know how to assign a array varible with a file see i having file more file property1 Name property2 Address the above two line are tab Space seperated between the property and its value i want to seperate it and assign to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkraja
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning values for a dynamic array for an input

Hello, Can somebody please give me a snippet for the below requirement. I want to assign the values separeted by a comma to be assigned to a dynamic array. If I give an input (read statement) like abc1,abc2,abc3,abc4,abc5, all these strings abc* should be assigned to an array like below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelj
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Assigning a value to a variable name then running a loop on these values

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could assist me for (what is probably) a very straightforward answer. I have input files containing something like File 1 Apples Apples Apples Apples File 2 Bananas Bananas Bananas Bananas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubleo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning array values using awk in shell scripting

hi My script as below #!/bin/ksh for i in `seq 1 7` do a=$(awk '{print $i}' /home/rama/expenese.txt) done for i in `seq 1 7` do echo "${a}" done content of expense.txt is as below 5032 210179 3110 132813874 53488966 11459221 5300794 I want output as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramakrishna V
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Column Values to ARRAY in ksh

Hi , i have file which is having two fields in it (#delimited) ABC#FILE_01.DAT DEF#FILE_02.DAT i want to write first field values to one array example A_01 and second field values to B_02 array please let me know how to do this ,my final requirement i have send out a mail for each record... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkabc789
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning values to 2 variables within for loop

Hi All, Is it possible to grep for two files and assign their names to two separate variables with for loop? I am doing the below currently: if then for fname in $( cd $dirA ; ls -tr | grep "^Ucountry_file$") do InFile=$dirA/$fname ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : Assigning multile hash values to a single array

I know that @food = %fruit; Works. But how do I assign %fruit and %veggies to @food ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies
mdbFontset(5)							 The m17n Library						     mdbFontset(5)

NAME
mdbFontset - Fontset DESCRIPTION
The m17n library loads a fontset definition from the m17n database by the tags <fontset, FONTSET-NAME>. The plist format of the data is as follows: FONTSET ::= PER-SCRIPT * PER-CHARSET * FALLBACK * PER-SCRIPT ::= '(' SCRIPT PER-LANGUAGE + ')' PER-LANGUAGE ::= '(' LANGUAGE FONT-SPEC-ELEMENT + ')' PER-CHARSET ::= '(' CHARSET FONT-SPEC-ELEMENT + ')' FALLBACK ::= FONT-SPEC-ELEMENT FONT-SPEC-ELEMENT ::= '(' FONT-SPEC [ FLT-NAME ] ')' FONT-SPEC ::= '(' [ FOUNDRY FAMILY [ WEIGHT [ STYLE [ STRETCH [ ADSTYLE ]]]]] REGISTRY [ OTF-SPEC ] [ LANG-SPEC ] ')' SCRIPT is a symbol of script name (e.g. latin, han) or nil. LANGUAGE is a two-letter symbol of language name code defined by ISO 639 (e.g. ja, zh) or nil. FONT-SPEC is to specify properties of a font. FOUNDRY to REGISTRY are symbols corresponding to Mfoundry to Mregistry property of a font. See m17nFont for the meaning of each property. OTF-SPEC is a symbol specifyng the required OTF features. The symbol name has the following syntax. OTF-SPEC-NAME ::= ':otf=' SCRIPT LANGSYS ? GSUB-FEATURES ? GPOS-FEATURES ? SCRIPT ::= SYMBOL LANGSYS ::= '/' SYMBOL GSUB-FEATURES ::= '=' FEATURE-LIST ? GPOS-FEATURES ::= '+' FEATURE-LIST ? FEATURE-LIST ::= '~' ? FEATURE ( ',' '~' ? FEATURE ',' ) Here, FEATURE is a four-letter Open Type feature. LANG-SPEC is a symbol specifying the required language support. The symbol name has the following syntax. LANG-SPEC-NAME ::= ':lang=' LANG Here, LANG is a two or three-letter ISO-639 language code. FLT-NAME is a name of Font Layout Table (Font Layout Table). EXAMPLE
This is an example of PER_SCRIPT. (han (ja ((jisx0208.1983-0))) (zh ((gb2312.1980-0))) (nil ((big5-0)))) It instructs the font selector to use a font of registry 'jisx0208.1983-0' for a 'han' character (i.e. a character whose Mscript property is 'han') if the character has Mlanguage text property 'ja' in an M-text and the character is in the repertories of such fonts. Otherwise, try a font of registry 'gb2312.1980-0' or 'big5-0'. If that 'han' character does not have Mlanguage text property, try all three fonts. See the function mdraw_text() for the detail of how a font is selected. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001 Information-technology Promotion Agency (IPA) Copyright (C) 2001-2011 National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html>. Version 1.6.2 12 Jan 2011 mdbFontset(5)