Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Pl explain the shell script code Post 302260968 by jlliagre on Saturday 22nd of November 2008 12:38:42 PM
Old 11-22-2008
That conditional expression is partly pointless as "0" can never be equal to "-r".

It is equivalent to:

Code:
if [ "$1" = "-r" ]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

could someone explain this code

hey peeps could someone explain what this part of the code means: 'if echo $* | grep -q' $i '|| thanks tHe_nEw_GuY (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_new_guy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

explain me this shell script ...

currentSid=${TWO_TASK:-$ORACLE_SID} echo $currentSid this script returns value of ORACLE_SID but what i am not getting is what is ":-" doing ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

explain the code

Hi , Can anyone explains what does the below highlighted statements means: # Set environment variables . ${0%/*}/wrkenv.sh jobName_sh=${0##*/} jobName=${jobName_sh%.*} Thanks, Sri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can any one explain what this code will do

ccc_con,CCC_CON,0 Above is the input for this code #!/usr/bin/bash my_path=`dirname $0` T_table=$1 S_table=$2 P_table=$3 #Star new code while read ${my_path}/arch_table_list.txt { awk -F "," '{print $1}' ${my_path}/arch_table_list.txt ${S_table} awk -F "," '{print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

please explain this sed shell script to remove C++ comments.

#! /bin/sed -nf # Remove C and C++ comments, by Brian Hiles (brian_hiles@rocketmail.com) # Sped up (and bugfixed to some extent) by Paolo Bonzini (bonzini@gnu.org) # Works its way through the line, copying to hold space the text up to the # first special character (/, ", '). The original... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priyaranjan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

can any one explain the meaning of the below code ?

while getopts :g:l:h: KEY $* do case $KEY in g) NAME=$OPTARG ;; l) LAB=$OPTARG ;; h) HD=$OPTARG ;; *) echo "Illegal option: $OPTARG" echo "$usage" exitStatus=1 exitGrace esac done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh1234
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain SED code

Hi, Can anyone pls explain me the below SED code in detail. sed -e :a -e '$!N;s/\n//;ta' -e P -e D When this code is executed with a file(has 1lac records), it is taking very long time to process. So I wanted to modify this SED code with equivalant AWK code. Thanks, Sri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please explain what this code is doing

Hi, Pls explain me what the below code is doing. specially meaning if -a while calling test function- case $1 in 1) beg_dt=01; end_dt=07 ;; 2) beg_dt=08; end_dt=14 ;; 3) beg_dt=15; end_dt=21 ;; 4) beg_dt=22; end_dt=28 ;; 5) beg_dt=29; end_dt=31 ;; esac test \( `date +%w` -eq $2 -a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendtoshailesh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

explain while loop in ksh shell script

#!/bin/ksh log=ABCl log=EFG log=HIJ i=0 while <------ what is the meaning of ($i - lt 3) do print ${log} (( i=i+1 )) done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bperl1967
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain this shell script code.

Hi i am new to shell script can any one please explain me the code below which is written for execution of python scripts which are located in same folder. please explain the code line by line ls *.py > xx while do read myline || break python $myline done<xx Thanks Mukthyar.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mukthar1255
1 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)