Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers The dumbest of dumb Text Search questions Post 302260456 by joeyg on Thursday 20th of November 2008 01:59:13 PM
Old 11-20-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver Not all put together, but shows some pieces to investigate

Show the initial file.
Create a duplicate with line numbers.
Set variable mline equal to first occurence of ABC.
Echo variable $mline.
Use awk to find line number > 3 (value of ml) and the word blah.
Note that I did not find the earler blah entries.

[I believe with awk, a couple of those steps could be skipped by utilizing the record number parameter.]

Code:
> cat file73
blah
blah
ABC
DEF
yech
yech
blah
blah

> cat -n file73 >file73.n
> mline=$(grep -n ABC file73 | head -1 | cut -d":" -f1)
> echo $mline
> awk -v ml=$mline '$1>ml && $2=="blah" {print}' file73.n
    10  blah
    11  blah

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Two dumb questions

It's obvious I'm a newbie after today, so I come to ask two questions. Or, solutions to two problems, anyway. I'm running KDE 3.1 on SuSE Linux 8.2, for reference. 1. After downloading programs for KDE and running 'configure', I infallably get an error that states: 'in the prefix, you've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Darkstripes
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Super dumb questions by a newbie

Okay, I'm trying to get this new job and I was told they use Unix based systems, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I'm fairly knowledgable about computers and have heard about Unix many times before, but I am not at all familar with it. So here comes the dumb questions: What exactly... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjm22
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumbest UNIX question ever

I haven't used UNIX is several years. But I became pretty good at it and love it. But I am rusty. I know this is basic, but how do you copy and paste? The user guide says what I remember, to highlight the text and the right-click. But it isn't working. I don't know if this will matter,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arungavali
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simplistic Questions (Basically I am dumb.)

Just trying to inform myself a bit.:confused: Some of the info I am looking for is environments its used in, processor family, device control (batch, interactive, real-time) memory management techniques (eg. Involves providing ways to allocate portions of memory to programs at their request, and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fatalrealm
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i have few dumb questions..

i wanna learn UNIX so 1. how should i start? 2. which book should i use? 3. which environment is best for learning n then getting job? thanx in advance........:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vjai
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

i have few dumb questions..

i wanna learn UNIX so 1. how should i start? 2. which book should i use? 3. which environment is best for learning n then getting job? thanx in advance........:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vjai
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Probably the dumbest question you've read in a while...

So, I realize that this will be considered a very stupid question, but I am very new to Linux (specifically Ubuntu) and I would just like some user input rather than blindly searching through many volumes (although I plan on doing that later). So I've been going through and running some... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karamazov91
5 Replies

8. Programming

Binary search tree questions. Please help =)

I have some questions about certain placement of child nodes since I'm just learning BSTs and it's quite confusing even after reading some sources and doing some online insertion applets. Let's say I want to add nodes 5,7,3,4 to an empty basic BST. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jill Ceke
1 Replies

9. Solaris

This must be the dumbest question ever posted -T5140 power button

I have a T5140 and cannot find the power switch -is there an on/off button? Good grief ! Thank you in advance. joe (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joboy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies
radiusd.conf(5) 					   FreeRADIUS configuration file					   radiusd.conf(5)

NAME
radiusd.conf - configuration file for the FreeRADIUS server DESCRIPTION
The radiusd.conf file resides in the radius database directory, by default /etc/raddb. It defines the global configuration for the FreeRA- DIUS RADIUS server. CONTENTS
There are a large number of configuration parameters for the server. Most are documented in the file itself as comments. This page docu- ments only the format of the file. Please read the radiusd.conf file itself for more information. The configuration file parser is independent of the server configuration. This means that you can put almost anything into the configura- tion file. So long as it is properly formatted, the server will start. When the server parses the configuration file, it looks only for those configurations it understands. Extra configuration items are ignored. This "feature" can be (ab)used in certain interesting ways. FILE FORMAT
The file format is line-based, like many other Unix configuration files. Each entry in the file must be placed on a line by itself, although continuations are supported. The file consists of configuration items (variable = value pairs), sections, and comments. Variables Variables can be set via: name = value Single and double-quoted strings are permitted: string1 = "hello world" string2 = 'hello mom' Sections A section begins with a section name, followed on the same line by an open bracket '{'. Section may contain other sections, com- ments, or variables. Sections may be nested to any depth, limited only by available memory. A section ends with a close bracket '}', on a line by itself. section { ... } Sections can sometimes have a second name following the first one. The situations where this is legal depend on the context. See the examples and comments in the radiusd.conf file for more information. section foo { ... } Comments Any line beginning with a (#) is deemed to be a comment, and is ignored. Comments can appear after a variable or section defini- tions. # comment foo = bar # set variable 'foo' to value 'bar' section { # start of section ... } # end of section Continuations Long lines can be broken up via continuations, using '' as the last character of the line. For example, the following entry: foo = "blah blah blah" will set the value of the variable "foo" to "blah blah blah". Any CR or LF is not turned into a space, but all other whitespace is preserved in the final value. REFERENCES
The value of a variable can reference another variable. These references are evaluated when the configuration file is loaded, which means that there is no run-time cost associated with them. This feature is most useful for turning long, repeated pieces of text into short ones. Variables are referenced by ${variable_name}, as in the following examples. foo = bar # set variable 'foo' to value 'bar' who = ${foo} # sets variable 'who' to value of variable 'foo' my = "${foo} a" # sets variable 'my' to "bar a" If the variable exists in a section or subsection, it can be referenced as ${section.subsection.variable}. Forward references are not allowed. Relative references are allowed, by pre-pending the name with one or more period. blogs = ${.foo} Will set variable blogs to the value of variable foo, from the current section. blogs = ${..foo} Will set variable blogs to the value of variable foo, from the section which contains the current section. blogs = ${modules.detail.detailfile} Will set variable blogs to the value of variable detailfile, of the detail module, which is in the modules section of the configuration file. FILES
/etc/raddb/radiusd.conf SEE ALSO
radiusd(8) unlang(5) AUTHOR
Alan DeKok <aland@freeradius.org> 12 Jun 2007 radiusd.conf(5)