Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question about spooler
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question about spooler Post 302260444 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 20th of November 2008 01:18:40 PM
Old 11-20-2008
/var/spool is one common place.
But the file may not be there - once you cancel the print job the file is marked for deletion.

Does the software not have some kind of 'I want a copy of the file' option?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

printer status for print spooler: help

Hey people I am currently working on a print spooler for unix over a network. I need help regarding the status of the printer. Is there any way to know when the printer has finished a previous job, so that the next job from the queue can be processed. Also is there any other way to print other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rage
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

Spooler Problem

Greetings, I have encountered the following errors and printing stops frequently. " ERROR 45 FROM LOCKF CALL ON FILE OUTPUTQ". I restart the spooler repeatedly but that is not a permanent solution. Please give me your usual assistance. With regards, Wobitu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wobitu
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Unix Spooler - Hp deskjet

W eare currently running a Unix printer spooler and HP Deskjet printers. We are trying to set up a printer on the spooler server, but are getting connection errors. While we are able to ping and telnet to the relevant HP printer, we cannot set them up. Response: - The HP JetDirect Printer... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vegas
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restarting the Spooler

:confused: Everytime our UNIXWARE 7 Server is restarted we also have to restart the spooler. If the spooler is not restarted, print jobs get stuck in the queu. Once restarted by using the following command lpstop and lpstart everything works fine. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorgy
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Spooler Script

I have posted before about this; but I am not sure I was clear on my message, so I am hoping someone can help with this as I gathered more information. Excuse me if I am not making sense...I am new to UNIXWARE :-( The print spooler start script was adjusted according to another engineer... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yorgy
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print spooler

:eek: I need to check the status of my print spooler on an HP-UX what is the command? Thanks Janelle (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lilnixon
1 Replies

7. SCO

SCO: UNIX Spooler

I have a system that will not allow me to print from any network printers. The printers are setup correctly. I have already used lpshut and lpsched to reset the spooler I am able to print jobs as long as I go around the spooler. However, anytime I attempt to send a job through spooler it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: T Long
9 Replies
cancel(1)																 cancel(1)

NAME
cancel - cancel print request SYNOPSIS
cancel [ request-ID...] [destination...] cancel -u user... [destination...] The cancel utility cancels print requests. There are two forms of the cancel command. The first form of cancel has two optional arguments: print requests (request-ID) and destinations (destination). Specifying request-ID with destination cancels request-ID on destination. Specifying only the destination cancels the current print request on destination. If desti- nation is not specified, cancel cancels the requested print request on all destinations. The second form of cancel cancels a user's print requests on specific destinations. Users can only cancel print requests associated with their username. By default, users can only cancel print requests on the host from which the print request was submitted. If a super-user has set user-equivalence=true in /etc/printers.conf on the print server, users can cancel print requests associated with their username on any host. Super-users can cancel print requests on the host from which the print request was submitted. Superusers can also cancel print requests from the print server. The print client commands locate destination information using the printers database in the name service switch. See nsswitch.conf(4), printers(4), and printers.conf(4) for details. The following options are supported: -u user The name of the user for which print requests are to be cancelled. Specify user as a username. The following operands are supported: destination The destination on which the print requests are to be canceled. destination is the name of a printer or class of printers (see lpadmin(1M)). If destination is not specified, cancel cancels the requested print request on all destinations. Specify destination using atomic or POSIX-style (server:destination), names. See for information regarding using POSIX-style des- tination names with cancel. See standards(5) for information regarding POSIX. request-ID The print request to be canceled. Specify request-ID using LP-style request IDs (destination-number). user The name of the user for which the print requests are to be cancelled. Specify user as a username. The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. /var/spool/print/* LP print queue. $HOME/.printers User-configurable printer database. /etc/printers.conf System printer configuration database. printers.conf.byname NIS version of /etc/printers.conf. printers.org_dir NIS+ version of /etc/printers.conf. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWpcu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ lp(1), lpq(1B), lpr(1B), lprm(1B), lpstat(1), lpadmin( 1M), nsswitch.conf(4), printers(4), printers.conf(4), attributes(5), standards(5) POSIX-style destination names (server:destination) are treated as print requests if destination has the same format as an LP-style request- ID. See standards(5). Some print servers send cancelation notification to job owners when their print jobs have been cancelled. This notification usually comes in the form of an email message. Cancelation notices cannot be disabled on a Solaris server. 23 Feb 2005 cancel(1)