Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 'while' loop does not change local variables?! Post 302260413 by alex_5161 on Thursday 20th of November 2008 12:33:17 PM
Old 11-20-2008
I am using bash (sorry, forget to mention.)

I've checked your example - it is fine: the $n is set for outside.

Could you check my example with 'read' lines?

Here is my check:
Code:
> n=0; while true; do n=$n", "2; break; done; echo "after $n"
after 0, 2
> n=0; echo "11\n222\n333"| while read ll; do echo "now $ll"; n=$n", "2; echo "inside $n"; done; echo "after $n"
now 11
inside 0, 2
now 222
inside 0, 2, 2
now 333
inside 0, 2, 2, 2
after 0
>

While-true works, but while-read doesn't!

Last edited by alex_5161; 11-20-2008 at 01:43 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script, reading and resetting local variables

Hello, I have a problem with trying to run a shell script that reads in user input, validates, and sets to a 'default' value if the input is not valid. I cannot get the portion of resetting to a default value to work. These lines are skipped, and the value of x is still whatever the user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b888c
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change the IPAddress and local name

I just installed Red Hat Linux 7.3 on one of our server. Everything works fine except couple things I want to change: Could someone give me the full instruction of how to change the IPadress and the name of the computer name please??? Please give me the full instructions b/c I am new with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lapnguyen
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh with local variables

Hi, I am trying to do an rsh and execute the same script on a distant unix computer. The problem is that I need to get all the local variables of the distant computer to launch correctly my script. I'm working on AIX 4.3.3 I try to execute .profile in the rsh but it seems not to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jo_aze
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with global and local variables

Guys, how can I define global variables in sorlaris...cause I lose the values outside the scope. Rite now wat I do is,I redirect variable value to a file n then get it back outside the function...:o....theres obviously a better way of doing this...I now this is a basic question....but please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qzv2jm
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make variables in script function local?

Is it possible to make function variables local? I mean for example, I have a script variable 'name' and in function I have declared variable 'name' I need to have script's 'name' have the same value as it was before calling the function with the same declaration. The way to preserve a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

7. Programming

Thread function local variables

As I know threads share the memory. But, what about the local variables in the thread function? if i call multiple threads would they allocate seperate local variables for themselves? like thread_func() { int i, j; string... } Are the above local variables defined for each of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saman_glorious
1 Replies

8. Debian

How to change local IP address?

I have a new Ethernet device that has a default IP address on a different subnet and need to change it. I have a Debian 6.0 host connected to the device with a crossover cable and have changed the host /etc/hosts and /etc/networks files to the same subnet as the new device and rebooted. Ping... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a find command in ssh but using local variables?

I have a script like this (Yes, I know the DAY6 number isn't right - I'm just testing at this point): DAY0=`date -I` DAY1=`date -I -d "1 day ago"` DAY6=`date -I -d "2 days ago"` if then ssh root@synology1 nohup rm -rf "/volume1/Fileserver/$DAY6" fi I've tested the line to remove the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orionizer
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing all local variables for unset

I have tried to thoroughly search other threads before posting this question... I have a shell script (bsh) that I'd like to "re-execute" if the user chooses to. Before the program is executed again the local variables (those set within the script) need to be unset. Is there a command that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: powwm
6 Replies
MSSQL_FETCH_FIELD(3)													      MSSQL_FETCH_FIELD(3)

mssql_fetch_field - Get field information

SYNOPSIS
object mssql_fetch_field (resource $result, [int $field_offset = -1]) DESCRIPTION
mssql_fetch_field(3) can be used in order to obtain information about fields in a certain query result. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mssql_query(3). o $field_offset - The numerical field offset. If the field offset is not specified, the next field that was not yet retrieved by this function is retrieved. The $field_offset starts at 0. RETURN VALUES
Returns an object containing field information. The properties of the object are: o name - column name. if the column is a result of a function, this property is set to computed#N, where #N is a serial number. o column_source - the table from which the column was taken o max_length - maximum length of the column o numeric - 1 if the column is numeric o type - the column type. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mssql_fetch_field(3) example <?php // Connect to MSSQL and select the database mssql_connect('MANGOSQLEXPRESS', 'sa', 'phpfi'); mssql_select_db('php'); // Send a select query to MSSQL $query = mssql_query('SELECT * FROM [php].[dbo].[persons]'); // Construct table echo '<h3>Table structure for 'persons'</h3>'; echo '<table border="1">'; // Table header echo '<thead>'; echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>Field name</td>'; echo '<td>Data type</td>'; echo '<td>Max length</td>'; echo '</tr>'; echo '</thead>'; // Dump all fields echo '<tbody>'; for ($i = 0; $i < mssql_num_fields($query); ++$i) { // Fetch the field information $field = mssql_fetch_field($query, $i); // Print the row echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>' . $field->name . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . strtoupper($field->type) . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . $field->max_length . '</td>'; echo '</tr>'; } echo '</tbody>'; echo '</table>'; // Free the query result mssql_free_result($query); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_field_seek(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_FETCH_FIELD(3)