Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding files older than the current date and time and renaming and moving Post 302260399 by ragavhere on Thursday 20th of November 2008 11:54:32 AM
Old 11-20-2008
Whenever i run the code whatever file is in the specified directory should get renamed and moved to the specified folder provided the file created date and time is older than the current date and time.

Last edited by ragavhere; 11-20-2008 at 01:12 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files to have date/time in filename

I have a program that will export my data to a single file, but it assigns a file name that is overridden every time I run the program. I need to change the file name to have a sequential number in the filename. How do I rename a file so that the filename contains the system date and time. I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wayneb
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving and renaming multiple files

Greetings, I know i can use the mv command to move and rename one file. How can I do this with multiple files? example pic01.bmp to pic0001.bmp how can i perform this function on an entire directory of sequential files and keep them in sequence? Hints, suggestions are most welcome:) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocinante
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check whether the given file is 5 weeks older than current date

HI, I need to check whether the given file is 5 weeks older than current date ?? Can anyone give me the script for this ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: risshanth
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming of multiple files with current date

Hi, I have a fixed 4 files in each different directory. The total 17 directories are there each one having 4 files inside it. I need rename all of them with current date. The files formates will be as below: Folder1: abc_NOR_xyz_ddmmyyyy.txt abc_NOR_ghij_ddmmyyyy.txt Folder2:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjanardhan83
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex renaming then moving files

I am a biologist and using an program on a computer cluster that generates a lot of data. The program creates a directory named ExperimentX (where X is a number) that contains files "out.pdb" and "log.txt". I would like to create a script that renames the out.pdb file to out_ExperimentX.pdb (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yaledocker
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding hours and minutes to current date (Only to date not to time)

Hi, I want to add some hours and minutes to the current date. For example, if the current date is "July 16, 2012 15:20", i want to add 5 hours 30 minutes to "July 16, 2012 00:00" not to "July 16, 2012 15:20". Please help. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manojgarg
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying current date time of EDT in IST time

Hi Folks, My server time is in EDT. And i am sending automated mails from that server in which i need to display the current date time as per IST (GMT+5:30). Please advice how to display the date time as per IST. IST time leads 9:30 mins to EDT. and i wrote something like below. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Showdown
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

WHM Crontab and Folder Renaming to current date

Hello, i am trying to rename a folder named 'cpbackup' to current date in our WHM Root via setting up a cronetab entry. but the folder does not get renamed on the scheduled time :confused: */1 * * * * timestamp=$(date +%m%d%Y);/bin/mv /ac_backups/cpbackup /ac_backups/$timestamp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kandyjet
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving and renaming files

I have a directory full of directories, say called A B C D E .... In each of these directories there are files called 1.dsp 2.dsp 3.dsp ..... along with others (with different extensions) I need to go through each of these directories and move the dsp file to another folder, but with the name now... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: claire.a
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Subscribers with Date 90 days older than current date

I have to display only those subscribers which are in "unconnected state" and the date is 90 days older than today's date. Below command is used for this purpose: cat vfsubscriber_20170817.csv | sed -e 's/^"//' -e '1d' | nawk -F '",' '{if ( (substr($11,2,4) == 2017) && ( substr($11,2,8) -lt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dia
1 Replies
SORTM(1)							     [nmh-1.5]								  SORTM(1)

NAME
sortm - sort messages SYNOPSIS
sortm [+folder] [msgs] [-datefield field] [-textfield field] [-notextfield] [-limit days] [-nolimit] [-verbose | -noverbose] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Sortm sorts the specified messages in the named folder according to the chronological order of the "Date:" field of each message. The -verbose switch directs sortm to tell the user the general actions that it is taking to place the folder in sorted order. The -datefield field switch tells sortm the name of the field to use when making the date comparison. If the user has a special field in each message, such as "BB-Posted:" or "Delivery-Date:", then the -datefield switch can be used to direct sortm which field to examine. The -textfield field switch causes sortm to sort messages by the specified text field. If this field is "subject", any leading "re:" is stripped off. In any case, all characters except letters and numbers are stripped and the resulting strings are sorted datefield-major, textfield-minor, using a case insensitive comparison. With -textfield field, if -limit days is specified, messages with similar textfields that are dated within `days' of each other appear together. Specifying -nolimit makes the limit infinity. With -limit 0, the sort is instead made textfield-major, date-minor. For example, to order a folder by date-major, subject-minor, use: sortm -textfield subject +folder FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder SEE ALSO
folder(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs"'defaultstoall" `-datefield' defaults to date `-notextfield' `-noverbose' `-nolimit' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. If the current message is moved, sortm will preserve its status as current. HISTORY
Timezones used to be ignored when comparing dates: they aren't any more. Messages which were in the folder, but not specified by `msgs', used to be moved to the end of the folder; now such messages are left untouched. Sortm sometimes did not preserve the message numbering in a folder (e.g., messages 1, 3, and 5, might have been renumbered to 1, 2, 3 after sorting). This was a bug, and has been fixed. To compress the message numbering in a folder, use "folder -pack" as always. BUGS
If sortm encounters a message without a date-field, or if the message has a date-field that sortm cannot parse, then sortm attempts to keep the message in the same relative position. This does not always work. For instance, if the first message encountered lacks a date which can be parsed, then it will usually be placed at the end of the messages being sorted. When sortm complains about a message which it can't temporally order, it complains about the message number prior to sorting. It should indicate what the message number will be after sorting. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 SORTM(1)