Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shred utility
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shred utility Post 302260392 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 20th of November 2008 11:12:17 AM
Old 11-20-2008
Is this for a high-security envrionment? I hope not. Most shredding will not work for filesystems that do not (for various reasons) immediately wrote over a deleted file.

FileBuzz - Find Software Fast has some simple shredder utilities that will keep an uninformed manager happy but will probably never pass a security audit.

You can google for 'file shredder' - Linux has one called shred. It is opensource, so you can compile it if you have gcc.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH : Find files by date and shred them

Good afternoon everyone, For security reasons, I need to delete files on a HDD I have to send after the ending of a demo. I need to find all the files which not end by ".log" and which have been created for 45 days. After getting the file list, I would like to use the shred command. It... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbismuth
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help using shred instead of rm

Hi, I have this script which runs pretty well bar a couple of problems, I am trying to emulate the rm command and this means I can't use rm directory, I inted to alias my script to rm and then use mv to move files to a trash folder rather than delete forever. The problem: when I use mv to... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack1981
18 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

utility

hi experts, Can you please help me out in removing delimiters with in double quotes from a CSV file. input: ===== a,"bnn,",dgd, "sagfh,dj",ad output ===== a,"bnn",dgd, "sagfhdj",ad there are so mnay fileds in a row and there are millions of rows. Thanks in an advance.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhendu81
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shred multiple options

I've created a wxpython gui for the shred command. I can successfully mix and match all the shred options except two: -size and --random-source. (Man page definitions below). -size and --random-source seem to only work when they are used as the sole option passed. For example, I can zero a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: codecellar
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shred() not working on ext* file systems

When vfat format my128kb flash drive, shred works fine. But, when I format it using ext2 or ext3, shred() exits with this error: shred: /dev/sdb1: pass 1/1 (random)... shred: /dev/sdb1: error writing at offset 12288: Invalid argumentAnyone know what is going on? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: codecellar
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Unzip a file using unzip utility for files zipped without zip utility ?

Hi, I need to zip/compress a data file and send to a vendor. The vendor does have only unzip utility and can accept only .ZIP files. I do not have zip utility in my server. How do I zip/compress the file so that it can be deflated using unzip command ? I tried gzip & compress commands, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
1 Replies

7. BSD

Wipe out userland caches with shred, bleach bit is out of reach

Another topic that bothers me on bsd is the missing of bleach-bit. Looking at what bleach-bit can clean, the new version, it wipes out all the caches of the user. May someone can give me a hint how to clean the userland in bsd and all the hidden caches for the user. shred all rubbish or LSA cookies... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
0 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences exist compared to the "URI" class interface: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclass of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs. o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path: same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc: same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery: same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components: same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters) o $url->params and $url->eparams methods o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag: same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords: same as $uri->query_keywords o $url->localpath and friends map to $uri->file. o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr: same as $uri->to for mailto URI o $url->groupart method for news URI o $url->article: same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.12.5 2011-08-13 URI::URL(3)