Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ping by hostname
Operating Systems AIX Ping by hostname Post 302260288 by bakunin on Thursday 20th of November 2008 05:19:10 AM
Old 11-20-2008
I agree with funksen: name resolution is a staged process and you could configure it to first ask a nameserver (or several nameservers successively) and only then consult the local "/etc/hosts" file.

If the system is configured to try using a nameserver which doesn't exist this would account for the time it takes to resolve the hostname.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

UX 11iV2 - No ping by hostname

Hi. I just installed the HP-UX 11i V2. I have problems with CDE - it is inoperative (after logon there is a message box: messaging system failure - or something like that, it asks to check /etc/hosts and network settings). nslookup works by hostname and IP, hostname shown the correct... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netwalker
7 Replies

3. Solaris

cannot ping by hostname

Hi All, My current setup is: 1x Windows Server (Windows 2000 server) 1x Unix Server 2x Windows machine 3x Unix Terminals (Hostnames = A, B and C) Problem The problem iam having is Unix terminal C cannot be ping across by Unix terminal A or B or Unix server by using the hostname. Unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tlee
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Can't ping using hostname on Solaris 10

I recently installed Solaris 10 on my Sun workstation. I cannot ping using hostname from another computer on the same network. But I can ping using the IP address. Also I can ping other systems using their hostnames. Can anyone give some information regarding how to resolve this issue. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha123
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suse 10 SP3 won't ping hostname

hi guys I got something I haven't been able to fix I configure a Linux Suse 10 box, added static IP, DNS (resolv), gateway (routes) but I am not able to ping other servers by name but nslookup works and the server can navigate on internet check below the problematic server is server-host20 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
4 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

HP UX - ILO Console hostname different than Machine Hostname...

Hi All, So we added a new HP-UX 11.31 machine. Copied OS via Ignite-UX (DVD)over from this machine called machine_a. It was supposed to be named machine_c. And it is when you log in...however when I'm in the ILO console before logging in, it says: It should say: What gives? And how do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ping by hostname not working

anyone ever seen this problem: I can ping the server by IP address but I can't by hostname. nslookup is working and dns query is ok. # nslookup mwxnsb24 Server: 10.11.49.206 Address: 10.11.49.206#53 Name: mwxnsb24 Address: 10.10.58.175 # ping... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
8 Replies

8. Solaris

my sun solaris 10 cannot ping and nslookup other server using hostname.

hi.... i have sun solaris 10 server, fedora 10, and Windows Server.. i cant ping my sun solaris 10, fedora 10 and Windows Server using hostname (etc: ping winserver.bengkel2.com), but i can ping all using IPV4 and IPV6 address.. can u give some suggestion to solve my problem or some idea to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: izuan_7657
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping the hostname of many servers using a script

Hi We have some 300 servers in the Data center and some of them are running with AIX and some of them are running with Solaris. I need a script which can be run in one of the server and that script should ping the hostname of all the 300 servers. Also the script should notify if any server is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
9 Replies

10. IP Networking

DNS problem : ping doesn't recognize hostname

I have vmware on my windows PC ( hostname : acer ). vmware has RHEL 7 ( hostname : rhel7 ) installed recently. RHEL IP configuration IP : 192.168.5.128 Netmask : 255.255.255.0 ssh to rhel7 works from acer using putty resolve.conf cat /etc/resolv.conf nameserver 192.168.5.1 host... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
12 Replies
RESOLVCONF.CONF(5)					      System Manager's Manual						RESOLVCONF.CONF(5)

NAME
resolvconf.conf -- resolvconf configuration file DESCRIPTION
resolvconf.conf is the configuration file for resolvconf(8). The resolvconf.conf file is a shell script that is sourced by resolvconf(8), meaning that resolvconf.conf must contain valid shell commands. Listed below are the standard resolvconf.conf variables that may be set. After updating this file, you may wish to run resolvconf -u to apply the new configuration. RESOLVCONF OPTIONS
interface_order These interfaces will always be processed first. If unset, defaults to the following:- lo lo[0-9]* dynamic_order These interfaces will be processed next, unless they have a metric. If unset, defaults to the following:- tap[0-9]* tun[0-9]* vpn vpn[0-9]* ppp[0-9]* ippp[0-9]* search_domains Prepend search domains to the dynamically generated list. search_domains_append Append search domains to the dynamically generated list. domain_blacklist A list of domains to be removed from consideration. To remove a domain, you can use foo.* To remove a sub domain, you can use *.bar name_servers Prepend name servers to the dynamically generated list. You should set this to 127.0.0.1 if you use a local name server other than libc. name_servers_append Append name servers to the dynamically generated list. name_server_blacklist A list of name servers to be removed from consideration. The default is 0.0.0.0 as some faulty routers send it via DHCP. To remove a block, you can use 192.168.* private_interfaces These interfaces name servers will only be queried for the domains listed in their resolv.conf. Useful for VPN domains. This is equivalent to the resolvconf -p option. state_dir Override the default state directory of /run/resolvconf. This should not be changed once resolvconf is in use unless the old direc- tory is copied to the new one. LIBC OPTIONS
The following variables affect resolv.conf(5) directly:- resolv_conf Defaults to /etc/resolv.conf if not set. resolv_conf_options A list of libc resolver options, as specified in resolv.conf(5). resolv_conf_passthrough When set to YES the latest resolv.conf is written to resolv_conf without any alteration. resolv_conf_sortlist A libc resolver sortlist, as specified in resolv.conf(5). resolv_conf_local_only If a local nameserver is configured then the default is just to specify that and ignore all other entries as they will be configured for the local nameserver. Set this to YES to list them instead, if you need working DNS and the local nameserver stops functioning at the expense of duplicated server queries. SUBSCRIBER OPTIONS
openresolv ships with subscribers for the name servers dnsmasq(8), named(8), pdnsd(8) and unbound(8). Each subscriber can create configura- tion files which should be included in in the subscribers main configuration file. dnsmasq_conf This file tells dnsmasq which nameservers to use for specific domains. dnsmasq_resolv This file tells dnsmasq which nameservers to use for global lookups. Example resolvconf.conf for dnsmasq: nameservers=127.0.0.1 dnsmasq_conf=/etc/dnsmasq-conf.conf dnsmasq_resolv=/etc/dnsmasq-resolv.conf Example dnsmasq.conf: listen-address=127.0.0.1 conf-file=/etc/dnsmasq-conf.conf resolv-file=/etc/dnsmasq-resolv.conf named_options Include this file in the named options block. This file tells named which nameservers to use for global lookups. named_zones Include this file in the named global scope, after the options block. This file tells named which nameservers to use for specific domains. Example resolvconf.conf for named: nameservers=127.0.0.1 named_options=/etc/named-options.conf named_zones=/etc/named-zones.conf Example named.conf: options { listen-on { 127.0.0.1; }; include /etc/named-options.conf; }; include /etc/named-zones.conf; pdnsd_conf This is the main pdnsd configuration file which we modify to add our forward domains to. If this variable is not set then we rely on the pdnsd configuration file setup to read pdnsd_resolv as documented below. pdnsd_resolv This file tells pdnsd about global nameservers. If this variable is not set then it's written to pdnsd_conf. Example resolvconf.conf for pdnsd: nameservers=127.0.0.1 pdnsd_conf=/etc/pdnsd.conf # pdnsd_resolv=/etc/pdnsd-resolv.conf Example pdnsd.conf: global { server_ip = 127.0.0.1; status_ctl = on; } server { # A server definition is required, even if emtpy. label="empty"; proxy_only=on; # file="/etc/pdnsd-resolv.conf"; } unbound_conf This file tells unbound about specific and global nameservers. Example resolvconf.conf for unbound: nameservers=127.0.0.1 unbound_conf=/etc/unbound-resolvconf.conf Example unbound.conf: include: /etc/unbound-resolvconf.conf SEE ALSO
resolv.conf(5) and resolvconf(8). AUTHORS
Roy Marples <roy@marples.name> BUGS
Please report them to http://roy.marples.name/projects/openresolv BSD
March 19, 2012 BSD