Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to install fonts in AIX
Operating Systems AIX how to install fonts in AIX Post 302260220 by aix.dba on Thursday 20th of November 2008 01:17:51 AM
Old 11-20-2008
Error

Dear bakunin,

Thanks for helping, actually I am new to AIX.

I need to install new fonts in AIX 64.

shall I copy and paste in fonts folder "/usr/lib/X11/fonts" ? or ..

Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
dba

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Can I Install AIX 4.3.3 on a PC?

Would it be possible to install AIX ver 4.3.3 on a Pc so I can Practice commands and become familiar with the system? Is there anything special that i would have to do? Thanks Frank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wumagic
1 Replies

2. AIX

Install additional fonts ?

Hi, I have two fonts installed on my AIX machine: FONT FILE GLYPH FONT ID NAME SIZE ENCODING ==== ============== ===== ========= 0 Erg22.iso1.snf 12x30 ISO8859-1 1 Erg11.iso1.snf 8x15 ISO8859-1 I want to install more, how to obtain available fonts list ? What filesets I must install ?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
0 Replies

3. AIX

Adding own fonts in AIX

Hi I am new to AIX and want to install some fonts (in Indian Languages) created by us into the AIX server and we should be able to use these fonts in Mozilla and other user applications. There is no Info Print Manager. We have font files as PFB/PFM and TTF. Which is the best method to go... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mssridhar
0 Replies

4. AIX

Russian fonts not displaying in AIX PDF files

Hi, We have an issue with russian cyrillic fonts that are not displayed correctly in pdf when application works in AIX . The same russian fonts are displayed properly in windows machine. There are spaces between russian characters and also cyrillic fonts are overlapping in AIX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jinto
3 Replies

5. AIX

Install fixes on AIX 5.3

I'm new to AIX, so please excuse my ignorance! I'm trying to get the system I am now in charge of up-to-date. The 'oslevel' is 5.3.0.0--does this mean no fixes have been installed on this machine since version 5.3 was installed, or just none committed? I've run a couple of what appears to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianmd
5 Replies

6. AIX

AIX TrueType Fonts Installation

We have an app that prints PDF files but some of the required TrueType fonts are missing on our AIX box. Does AIX support TrueType fonts? How can I install the following fonts?: OCR A Extended (OCRAEXT.TTF) Courier New (cour.ttf) I have tried copying those fonts from my Windows box into... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
4 Replies

7. AIX

AIX pseries install

Hello, I'm very rookie to AIX and attempting to install AIX. I have vio ready on the machine and don't know how to install OS? Inserted Volume 1 DVD into the ROM, don't know what to do next. Searched many forum but cant find the this basic thing. Please let me know how to install AIX on this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
4 Replies

8. AIX

How to install python on the AIX 5.2?

Hi folks, Could tell me how to install python on the AIX 5.2 ? What better method for install: rpm or compiling? Regards. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stenioc1
4 Replies

9. AIX

AIX Fonts and Display issue

Hello Everyone, have a question regarding fonts: #env root@oraapp:/>env _=/usr/bin/env LANG=ar_AA LOGIN=root SSH_TTY=/dev/pts/1 PATH=/usr/bin:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/bin/X11:/sbin:/usr/java131/jre/bin:/u ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

10. AIX

How to find the details of Fonts on AIX?

Hi, Can someone help me out, how I can find the details of the Fonts installed on AIX, details such as the font type, directory, Non-Latin Fonts like Greek, Hebrew, or Arabic, starting with Arabic Objective: Oracle Reports creates PDF on AIX we want to use ARABIC Fonts which are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies
update-fonts-alias(8)					      System Manager's Manual					     update-fonts-alias(8)

NAME
update-fonts-alias - compile fonts.alias files SYNOPSIS
update-fonts-alias [OPTION] directory ... DESCRIPTION
update-fonts-alias assembles a fonts.alias file in an X font directory using one or more alias files found in a subdirectory of /etc/X11/fonts/. It is typically invoked only from the post-installation and post-removal scripts of a package containing X Window System fonts that provide aliases for their XLFD names, but may be invoked at any time to reconstruct fonts.alias files. For each directory, which is simply the last component of its path (such as '75dpi' or 'misc'), update-fonts-alias will assemble either /usr/lib/X11/fonts/directory/fonts.alias or /usr/share/fonts/X11/directory/fonts.alias from the files found in /etc/X11/fonts/direc- tory/package.alias. This enables multiple packages to provide aliases for fonts in the same directory. No font package actually provides the fonts.alias file in the X font directory itself, so there is no danger of overwriting one package's aliases with those of another. For instance, the two packages 'xfonts-base' and 'xfonts-base-transcoded' may both install fonts into the directory /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc. They each place their fonts.alias files in /etc/X11/fonts/misc/xfonts-base.alias and /etc/X11/fonts/misc/xfonts-base-transcoded.alias (respectively). update-fonts-alias concatenates these two files (as well as any others that match /etc/X11/fonts/misc/*.alias) into /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias. The format of fonts.alias files is described in the mkfontdir(1x) manual page. An example of how to use update-fonts-alias in package maintainer scripts is provided in the Debian Policy Manual. OPTIONS
-h, --help displays a brief usage message and exits. OPERANDS
update-fonts-alias takes one or more X font directory names to operate on as operands. Only the final path component of the directory name should be specified; e.g., update-fonts-alias 75dpi is correct, while 'update-fonts-alias /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi' and 'update-fonts-alias /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi' are not. ENVIRONMENT
COLUMNS indicates the width of the terminal device in character cells. This value is used for formatting diagnostic messages. If not set, the terminal is queried using stty(1) to determine its width. If that fails, a value of '80' is assumed. DIAGNOSTICS
Errors usage error: one or more font directories must be provided update-fonts-alias was invoked without operands. Supply one or more X font directory names to operate on. usage error: unrecognized option update-fonts-alias was invoked with an unrecognized option argument. Use only the options documented in "OPTIONS", above. fatal error: path to X font directory must be used A directory name was supplied that was not an X font directory name. Supply X font directory names only. Warnings warning: absolute path directory was provided Usage of absolute paths is deprecated. Use only the final component of the X font directory name for directory. warning: directory does not exist or is not a directory The supplied directory was invalid. update-fonts-alias skipped it. EXIT STATUS
0 update-fonts-alias ran successfully. 1 update-fonts-alias experienced a fatal error; see the section on diagnostic messages above. 2 update-fonts-alias was invoked with invalid arguments. BUGS
See the Debian Bug Tracking System <http://bugs.debian.org/xfonts-utils>. If you wish to report a bug in update-fonts-alias, please see /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt or the reportbug(1) command. AUTHOR
update-fonts-alias was written by Branden Robinson. SEE ALSO
mkfontdir(1x) Debian Project 2004-11-11 update-fonts-alias(8)