Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Does Posix support kernel level threading? Post 302260041 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 19th of November 2008 01:05:02 PM
Old 11-19-2008
What is a POSIX lib? libpthread.so is the POSIX threads library for a system that supports POSIX threads. How they are implemented is up to the kernel developer, not POSIX.

For Linux there is one API call: clone() that is unique to linux. It is used to exec new processes to be used mostly for threads.

Is POSIX scalable; multiprocessor support?

This does not make much sense to me:
POSIX is a standard, a set of rules - like a green traffic signal means "go". It doesn't say how big or bright the green light has to be. Just says 'must be green'

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Multi threading using posix thread library

hi all, can anyone tell me some good site for the mutithreading tutorials, its application, and some code examples. -sushil (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shushilmore
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Oot: Level 2 Unix Support? meaning

Hi all, I am sorry, I know this is not correct forum/silly question (usually this is requirement in some vacancies), but i hope someone can explain to me, what is the meaning of : SUN Tier 3 Support Tier 3 Application Installation Level 2 Solaris Level 2 AD MOM + DBA Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Where/What/Howto solve warning/error msg about Kernel patch level?

required Solaris 5.10 Kernel patch 137111-03 required Solaris 5.10 Fibre Channel Device Driver patch 125184-08 I want to know about the descriptions and what the patches will do. I searched www.sun.com (patches/updates) but don't see I am looking for. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Y4Net
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel Support

Hi, I want to learn that all the family of x86 processors are supported by kernel. I want to buy a board, which has VIA ESP10K processor and CHIPSET: VIA CN333 north bridge & VIA VT8237R south bridge Where can I find this? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yildiz.a
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ACL (POSIX and NFSv4) Support over NFS shared drives on different Unix platforms

Hello, I have a question regarding ACLs and their availability across different Unix platforms via NFS share. If I have an AIX/FreeBSD/Solaris/HP-UX client that has an nfs share from a different system mounted on it, will the ACLs on the nfs share be processed properly? My guess is that as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Kernel Patch level of ABE.

Hi, Anyone able to advise on how to find the kernel patch level of an ABE? showrev and uname -a will provide kernel patch details of the running environment, but how can I run these commands against the ABE or where do these commands get their information from i.e. is the kernel patch level... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CiCa
3 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Phenom II support in kernel

Does anyone know at which kernel version support for Phenom II x6 first appeared? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varsel
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Older OS support in Kernel zones

folks, I have a query. Can we create Kernel zone with the earlier Solaris OS? More precisely Can i create kernel zone with any different OS than that of OS in global zone. As of now in sol11U2 if we create kernel zone, there will be sol11u2 OS in kernel zone since the same is in global. But... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaishey
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Does UNIX support multi-Threading ?

Not just background process running ... but im looking if unix has any multi-threading concept like in Java, C# ... if not present, can you pls share the nearest feature in unix that is close to multi-threaded concept (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies
aio_proc_thread_pct(5)						File Formats Manual					    aio_proc_thread_pct(5)

NAME
aio_proc_thread_pct - percentage of all process threads allowed in AIO pool VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Recommended values DESCRIPTION
The implementation of POSIX AIO on HP-UX uses kernel threads to perform I/Os to filesystems that do not directly support true asynchronous I/O. (This distinction is transparent to the user.) The kernel threads are organized into worker-thread pools (called AIO thread pools) created on a per-process basis. Since a thread pool mechanism for I/Os introduces a variety of trade-offs concerning utilization of CPU time vs. I/O resources, four dynamic tunables are available to customize the behavior of this thread pool: aio_proc_threads(5), aio_proc_thread_pct(5), aio_req_per_thread(5), and aio_monitor_run_sec(5). Please see individual manpages for details on each of these tunables. The tunable specifies, on a per-process basis, the percentage of threads that can be used by the POSIX AIO system as kernel threads for issuing I/Os. The percentage is taken as a percentage of which is the upper bound on the number of threads a process may have. This tunable interacts with in the following way: the maximum number of threads used for AIO will be the smaller of the two values defined by the two tunables; i.e.: This allows the number of AIO threads to vary dynamically with but to always be bound by an absolute limit of Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? System administrators that run applications requiring heavy usage of POSIX AIO to filesystems. Restrictions on Changing This tunables is dynamic. Changes to to this tunable take effect immediately for new processes started after the change. They also impact existing processes, but the speed with which the changes propagate to running processes is determined by the tunable When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? should be raised for applications that do not use very many threads for their own work, but desire high performance from the POSIX AIO sub- system. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value of This Tunable? Some applications that use POSIX AIO but also require a large number of threads may find that they are unable to create new threads, because the POSIX AIO thread pool ends up using too many of a process' allowable threads. In addition, using a larger number of kernel threads might lead to increased CPU utilization. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? should be lowered when POSIX AIO performance is acceptable but applications using POSIX AIO are seeing errors when trying to create new threads for other work. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value of This Tunable? By ultimately reducing the number of threads available to handle POSIX AIO requests, overall I/O throughput of the POSIX AIO subsystem could be reduced. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time as This One? interacts with this tunable by setting a strict limit on the number of threads that can be used for POSIX AIO. This allows a hard limit to be imposed, regardless of what value happens to take. defines the desired relationship between the number of POSIX AIO kernel threads and the number of I/Os to be serviced. defines how often (in seconds) the AIO thread mechanism will monitor itself for adherence to the constraints defined by the tunables above. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), sam(1M), gettune(2), settune(2), aio_proc_threads(5), aio_req_per_thread(5), aio_monitor_run_sec(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters aio_proc_thread_pct(5)