Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Question About Multi-Processed Applications... fork() Post 302259931 by f.ben.isaac on Wednesday 19th of November 2008 09:28:25 AM
Old 11-19-2008
ha ok, i see. orphan child signal will end up to init....

so it goes like

init()
X
y
Z

X is parent of Y. X is child of init().....

So lets say i opened a browser in *nix. This browser is multi-process.
First browser opened (X) is going to be a child on init()
Second browser (Y) opened, is going to be a child of (X).
X will take care of Y. If X dies, init() takes care of Y..

I hope this is right. I would like somebody to confirm!

Many THANKS!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

simple fork question

When executing this simple program: #include <unistd.h> void main() { int f; printf("\n Parent procces ID=%d\n",getpid()); f=fork(); if(f==0) { printf("\n Child process ID=%d father=%d\n",getpid(),getppid()); } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bb666
2 Replies

2. Programming

Multi threading using fork

Hi, I have written a code which will run a set of process using fork. I want to know from You how can i start another job when one of my job in my loop is completed My code is #include<stdio.h> #include<ctype.h> main() { int pid,cid; ChildProcess(); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshraju_ma
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

one question to critical workloads and applications functions

hi everybody, what mission critical workloads and applications functions can run on the UNIX operating system? best regards (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: styfo
5 Replies

4. Programming

A small question about fork()

Hello experts, I am using fork() in my code but I am confused which output comes first child or parent? I did the following code .My book shows parent first but my linux shows child first.Can anyone tell me why? #include <stdio.h> int main(){ int pid; printf("I am original process with pid... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlhazan
5 Replies

5. High Performance Computing

What is it about OpenMosix that supports multi-process applications?

I read that 'Any single program that can run as multiple processes can benefit from OpenMosix: "The GIMP" photo editor and the "kandel" fractal generator are known to do this. Are there other load-balancing clusters that do support multi-process applications? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Advice Pro
1 Replies

6. Programming

Beginners question about fork

Hi everyone: I'm developing a dynamic library for notifications, this library is used for a daemon that i've programmed, when something goes wrong the library should send an email to an administrator, but since sending an email is a non-vital process then it can fail (it should work as an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edgarvm
4 Replies

7. Programming

multiple fork() question

I writing a program that forks three times but only on the parent process. The three children processes then produces output in order. 1, 2, 3. I am confused on how to do this. I have tried multiple if and else if statements but the output does not come out right. How should I go about doing this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TWhitt24
1 Replies

8. Programming

Newbie question on exec,fork, wait,pipe C

Hello everybody.I want to make clear that i am not going to ask from anybody to build my asignement but i have a big problem. I can't seem to find anywhere ONE good example on C about what i am trying to do:wall:.I think it is simple. All i ask is one example, even a link is fine. So, i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cuervo
1 Replies

9. Programming

question about fork

i'm experimenting fork function and i found this code #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <wait.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <unistd.h> int main(void) { int fd; pid_t p; p = fork(); fork(); if (p>0) { fork();} fork(); fork();... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blob84
6 Replies

10. Programming

Linux fork, execv, wait question

Hi All, I have a program for class that needs to do the following: 1. Print the directory entries from the current directory using ncurses 2. Provide a prompt next to each directory entry and allow the user to enter commands that may or may not be about the file 3. Execute those commands in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: afulldevnull
1 Replies
preap(1)							   User Commands							  preap(1)

NAME
preap - force a defunct process to be reaped by its parent SYNOPSIS
preap [-F] pid... DESCRIPTION
A defunct (or zombie) process is one whose exit status has yet to be reaped by its parent. The exit status is reaped via the wait(3C), waitid(2), or waitpid(3C) system call. In the normal course of system operation, zombies may occur, but are typically short-lived. This may happen if a parent exits without having reaped the exit status of some or all of its children. In that case, those children are reparented to PID 1. See init(1M), which periodically reaps such processes. An irresponsible parent process may not exit for a very long time and thus leave zombies on the system. Since the operating system destroys nearly all components of a process before it becomes defunct, such defunct processes do not normally impact system operation. However, they do consume a small amount of system memory. preap forces the parent of the process specified by pid to waitid(3C) for pid, if pid represents a defunct process. preap will attempt to prevent the administrator from unwisely reaping a child process which might soon be reaped by the parent, if: o The process is a child of init(1M). o The parent process is stopped and might wait on the child when it is again allowed to run. o The process has been defunct for less than one minute. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -F Forces the parent to reap the child, overriding safety checks. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: pid Process ID list. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned by preap, which prints the exit status of each target process reaped: 0 Successfully operation. non-zero Failure, such as no such process, permission denied, or invalid option. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu (32-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | |SUNWesxu (64-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
proc(1), init(1M), waitid(2), wait(3C), waitpid(3C), proc(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
preap should be applied sparingly and only in situations in which the administrator or developer has confirmed that defunct processes will not be reaped by the parent process. Otherwise, applying preap may damage the parent process in unpredictable ways. SunOS 5.10 26 Mar 2001 preap(1)