Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX vmstat, comments and advices needed Post 302259861 by galapagos on Wednesday 19th of November 2008 05:24:59 AM
Old 11-19-2008
vmstat, comments and advices needed

Hi all..

I need some comments or advices about my HP-UX 11.11 performance.
It runs Oracle, some apps and weblogic.

For several times in a day, it's performance drops poorly (approx for minutes until an hour).
I tried to find articles about unix, oracle and weblogic tuning, which leads me to some informations :

1. Some Unix Kernel configuration (max_thread_proc, maxfiles, maxusers) needs to be set larger than the default configurations (I will reconfigure this soon)

2. My kernel configuration : lotsfree, desfree, minfree sets to 0 (zero)
I found some article which told to set it, according to my memory size. Anyone tried this before? did it give you a good result?

3. I ran vmstat for about 10 minutes (@1 sec), which gave me this results :
- SR : 20% return large page scan rate (avr. 9k, max 60k) and 80% return below 200 pages (most articles say this is not good, needs more RAM)
- RE : 20% return large reclaims (arg 800, max 4k) and 80% return below 10 pages
- R : 4% return more than my CPUs count (avr 10, during large SR) and 96% return below my CPUs count
- W : 5% return avr 15 pages, and 95% return almost none
- and PI also increase while RE increase

I need some comments or advices about 3 points above,
and, is it just configuration problem (tuning problem only) or I 'extremly' need more RAM?

(I'm kinda new at this, need much advices and guidances)
Thank you for your time, comments and advices.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vmstat

Hi, what does mean the free colomne in out put of vmstat ? is it free espace of physical memory or of swap space on hard disk ? Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

need advices on install/configure amanda on solaris 10

i would like to have advices on how to install/configure amanda on solaris 10. thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: conandor
1 Replies

3. Linux

vmstat help

Hi everyone, I need to see some VM manager performance/behavior information on some Linux boxes regarding pages scanned/activation of the paging algorithm in order to get an idea if a given server needs more memory and is actually paging. In Aix servers, by using the vmstat cmd you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcpetela
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

vmstat

Hi I need to write a script to display VMSTAT every 5 seconds and I just need the memory columns - swap free re and just the numbers and the headers arent required. For example bash-3.00$ vmstat 5| awk '{print $4" "$5" "$6}' disk faults cpu ------ This header isnt required swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapilk
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need advices on scripting for remote servers

Hi guys, I need some advice and recommendations for a work project I am doing. Let me state that security is not a concern as this is a closed network and the data is not sensitive. Here's what I would like to do and how I was planning to accomplish it: I have an application on my remote... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blueicedrop2000
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed script, changing all C-comments to C++-comments

I must write a script to change all C++ like comments: // this is a comment to this one /* this is a comment */ How to do it by sed? With file: #include <cstdio> using namespace std; //one // two int main() { printf("Example"); // three }//four the result should be: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_hawk
2 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Linux Storage system: looking for advices

Gidday! I'd like to setup a storage server for a friend of mine (he is a hobby photographer, and he produces about 100Gb pictures monthly). My friend has the following PC-Server-like system: AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4850e. ASUS M3N78-EMH HDMI motherboard with 6 SATA connectors. 3Gb... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loic Domaigne
7 Replies

8. Programming

Need some advices how to increse accuracy of the algorithm

Hi guys :D Can you raccomand some what I can do to increse accuracy of the Newton-Raphons method. It's not very accurate. // Implementation of Newton - Raphson method for // determination square root od positive number // Date: 10. april 2011 // Author: Solaris_user // Solution for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Want to learn Shell well.. Advices

Hi everyone.. Thanks a lot for reading this post. I am trying to learn shell and Unix well. I am taking course at UNT school, unfortunately, the professor doesn't explain well. I am trying to take an advantage of this course and learn as much as I could. I learn by myself.. read the book... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smasm9
1 Replies
MINCORE(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							MINCORE(2)

NAME
mincore - determine whether pages are resident in memory SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> #include <sys/mman.h> int mincore(void *addr, size_t length, unsigned char *vec); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): mincore(): _BSD_SOURCE || _SVID_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
mincore() returns a vector that indicates whether pages of the calling process's virtual memory are resident in core (RAM), and so will not cause a disk access (page fault) if referenced. The kernel returns residency information about the pages starting at the address addr, and continuing for length bytes. The addr argument must be a multiple of the system page size. The length argument need not be a multiple of the page size, but since resi- dency information is returned for whole pages, length is effectively rounded up to the next multiple of the page size. One may obtain the page size (PAGE_SIZE) using sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE). The vec argument must point to an array containing at least (length+PAGE_SIZE-1) / PAGE_SIZE bytes. On return, the least significant bit of each byte will be set if the corresponding page is currently resident in memory, and be clear otherwise. (The settings of the other bits in each byte are undefined; these bits are reserved for possible later use.) Of course the information returned in vec is only a snapshot: pages that are not locked in memory can come and go at any moment, and the contents of vec may already be stale by the time this call returns. RETURN VALUE
On success, mincore() returns zero. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EAGAIN kernel is temporarily out of resources. EFAULT vec points to an invalid address. EINVAL addr is not a multiple of the page size. ENOMEM length is greater than (TASK_SIZE - addr). (This could occur if a negative value is specified for length, since that value will be interpreted as a large unsigned integer.) In Linux 2.6.11 and earlier, the error EINVAL was returned for this condition. ENOMEM addr to addr + length contained unmapped memory. VERSIONS
Available since Linux 2.3.99pre1 and glibc 2.2. CONFORMING TO
mincore() is not specified in POSIX.1-2001, and it is not available on all Unix implementations. BUGS
Before kernel 2.6.21, mincore() did not return correct information for MAP_PRIVATE mappings, or for nonlinear mappings (established using remap_file_pages(2)). SEE ALSO
mlock(2), mmap(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-04-22 MINCORE(2)