Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script is hanging
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script is hanging Post 302259622 by awk on Tuesday 18th of November 2008 01:34:00 PM
Old 11-18-2008
The "cat" command is awaiting standard in to feed to the output file.

Probably, you want to cat "some file" to the appropriate output file.

I have this problem all the time when I type a grep command, and forget to put the file to grep.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hanging sql script

Need your help pls... I have integrated my shell script with sqlplus statements that will fetch necessary data for the rest of the script. As observed, sometimes problems at the oracle database occurs wherein users can not login via sqlplus, so does the script. During execution, the logging of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script hanging - remsh

Greetings to everyone, My Problem: I have a script which inturn calls couple of other scripts in different servers (solaris) to do a server startups on the respecitve boxes. My script ... #!/usr/bin/ksh siebsrvr_root=/users/siebelserver/siebsrvr cd $siebsrvr_root . ./siebenv.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivsiv
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with EXPECT script hanging

I am new at developing EXPECT scripts. I'm trying to create a script that will automatically connect to a UNIX server via FTP and download a log file from the server within a specified server directory on the remote machine. I'm having problems with the EXPECT script "hanging" at the password... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: markus2008
0 Replies

4. Linux

Script to simulate hanging process

I want to create a script to simulate a process that hangs to test a java application. My java app executes a system command, which can also be executing scripts, etc. Any ideas on such a script? The java code is: Runtime rt = Runtime.getRuntime(); Process p = rt.exec("sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brendan76
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script hanging???

ok... this is where i am at... i need a script to call another script as a wrapper because the first script creates a sub-shell. here is what i got... i kick off the first script "CCBDEMO-threadpoolworker.sh" #!/bin/bash clear #clearing screen directory="/data1/spl/cis/CCBDEMO/bin"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dagaswolf
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script Hanging

Hey, Does anyone know why my Perl script is hanging when i execute it. print "looking around ...\n"; my ($out, $err, $exit) = $scon->cmd('ls'); print "done"; i get the following error: channel 1: open confirm rwindow 131043 rmax 32768 I'm using use Net::SSH::W32Perl Module.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phi01
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Hanging

Hi! I have written a program three threads will be created to execute three different Sybase SQLs. so three thread will call a method runQuery. In run query again we create child process to execute the actuall SQL by connecting to the SQL. When I run the process first three threading working fine.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jramesh1
0 Replies

8. Solaris

df command hanging

Hi Folks, When i execute the command df -kh in my system the o/p hangs.. The command runs fine but takes a lot of time before coming back to the # prompt. Can anyone please suggest the possible cause and solution?. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.goel.piet
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed hanging

/bin/sed -n '$q;5633653,0 p' lfile lfile is a log file that is being updated several times a second. so, the command above figures out the line number it wants in the lfile and then proceeds to output all lines from that line number to the end of the file. the problem is, the end of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script is hanging up every time even after it's successful

We are using a korn shell script which is meant to trigger a Oracle job to load the data from a flat file to an Oracle database . Also the same script addresses the following tasks also like triggering a SFTP job to pick the file from one path to the target location and checking the same with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmng
6 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)