Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Emacs line indentation
Top Forums Programming Emacs line indentation Post 302259416 by spirtle on Tuesday 18th of November 2008 04:45:17 AM
Old 11-18-2008
I guess Python is a little tricky because emacs cannot use the usual C-M-q to indent a code block since the indentation defines the block!
How about C-x TAB ( the indent-rigidly command) which shifts the selected region? The command takes an argument in the usual way to specify the number of spaces to move, e.g. C-u n C-x TAB to move the selected text n spaces. n can be negative to un-indent.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making Emacs to show line number

Hi all How can I make Emacs to show the line numbers at the left or right as a default. This might help me to quickly jump to a given line. Thanks SS (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurya_s
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

emacs as a line editor

hello, I would like to use emacs as a line editor (I use emacs as editor). I try "set -o emacs" but I have nothing. Thank you for any help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: annemar
5 Replies

3. Programming

A question of indentation

Hi, Using GNU indent(1) I tried to indent a C source file which has no indentation (all lines start at column 1). The result I am trying to achieve, should look like this with the exception that only tabs are used for indentation (no spaces). Unfortunately, I couldn't find the appropriate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Michael Iatrou
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding indentation using unix script

I have piece of Informatica code in a file as : IIF(substr(flag,0,2)=1,false,IIF(flag= 1 ,0,NULL)) Please provide me with idea how to write a unix script which reads this file and write indented code into another file. The output in the second file should look as: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srikanth.ch
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

indentation and lowercase to uppercase

hi, i need to write a bash script that does two things. the program will take from the command line a file name, which is a C code, and an integer, which is the size of my indentation i would then have to indent every nested code by the number of columns provided by the user in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kratos.
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Indentation help

Hi I have coded 300 line script.Its not indented properly.i am not good at indentation. I would appreciate your help on this. i want to use a 4 space indentataion.Hence if i "set tabstop=4" and use tabs for coding and if some one else open this script in their system it looks unindented since... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use emacs? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a beginner in unix. Please correct me if I put the question in a wrong way.. How to use emacs editor? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format? I have the following link :- http link i.e. url and path : /abc/xyz.dev/xyz/documents What... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Indentation using awk

I need to write an awk program who does this http://i.stack.imgur.com/yzSqB.jpg I'd be very grateful for any help, Thanks a lot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guy9050
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Indentation using awk

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I need to write an awk program who does this (sorry its too big) http://i.stack.imgur.com/yzSqB.jpg 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: .. 3. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts): declaring a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guy9050
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Indentation for Lists in html

An writing some html instructions to have text beside an image. The image is located on the left and I want the tect to appear on the right side of the image. The text includes a list. The problem is that the list boxes and not shifted. The text within the list align on the left with the... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
20 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::Editor::RequireEmacsFileVariables(User Contributed Perl DocumentatPerl::Critic::Policy::Editor::RequireEmacsFileVariables(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::Editor::RequireEmacsFileVariables - Per-file editor settings. AFFILIATION
This policy is part of Perl::Critic::More, a bleeding edge supplement to Perl::Critic. DESCRIPTION
Many text editors know how to find magic strings in files that indicate settings that work best for that file. For example, the file can indicate that it expects four-character indentation. In emacs, this magic string is called "File Variables". There are two syntaxes: "-*- ... -*-" (single-line) and "Local Variables: ... End:" (multi-line). Both syntaxes allow leading and trailing text on the line. The single-line syntax must be used on the first line of the file to be recognized, or on the second line if the first line is a shebang. The following examples are explicitly allowed by Perl: #!perl -w -*- cperl -*- #!perl -w # -*- cperl -*- #!perl # -*- cperl -*- The multi-line syntax must be used "in the last page" (that is, after the last formfeed) at the end of the file. As of Emacs21, the "end of the file" is hard-coded to be the last 3000 bytes of the file (in the hack-local-variables function in files.el). In this syntax, each line must begin and end with the same prefix/suffix pair. That pair is defined by the text before and after the "Local Variables:" string. SEE ALSO
Perl::Critic::Policy::Editor::RequireViModeline <http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/File-Variables.html> In Emacs, you can view the "File Variables" info node by typing: "Help-key", "i", "g", "(emacs)File Variables" (where "Help-key" is often "C-h" or "F1".) Alternatively, you can execute the following elisp: (info "(emacs)File Variables") AUTHOR
Chris Dolan <cdolan@cpan.org> Michael Wolf <MichaelRWolf@att.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006-2008 Chris Dolan This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-10 Perl::Critic::Policy::Editor::RequireEmacsFileVariables(3)