Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search flat file and return 3 fields Post 302259392 by yongitz on Tuesday 18th of November 2008 02:38:51 AM
Old 11-18-2008
Code:
awk -F"," -v pat=$SERIALNUM '$0 ~ pat {print $2,$3}' your_flat_file.txt

This assumes that you only got one serial number stored in SERIALNUM variable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to return all the ID's from file based on the distribution ID search

Hi, Please help me out on this I have to store some distribution lists(dl) in a file say mail.txt Say the file format be d1 = alok@yahoo.co.in;alvin@rediffmail.com;vijay@yahoo.com; & so on... d2 = abhinav@gmail.com;dalpit@hotmail.com;garima@yahoo.com;& so on... d3 = .... & so on Now what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kumbhatalok
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for String within File and Return File Name

How do I search for a string within a file and return the names of the file that contain the string? I would like to search directories and sub-directories. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bggibson
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search fields within a file

I need to be able to search multiple fields within a file that contain blank (nothing). Not sure what command to use? thought it would be grep but not sure how to write it The reason is i have a script that when it does this and identifies a field which has a blank it errors out of the script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

`find`, pulling 1st field from ASCII flat file as search/-name?

Hey Everyone! I have searched around for this on Unix.com and Google, and I'm either not phrasing my search properly or this is not as simple as I thought... I have a script that runs on a nightly basis that pulls one field worth of data from an internal MySQL database and populates to an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gecko12332
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search flat file in specific byte

I am on AIX Unix. I want to read a flat file for a string in a certain byte. I want to find the value: 943034 in column 56; and write out just those records to another file. Also, could I get the line/record number of where it was found in the input file? Thank you, sboxtops (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search specific pattern in file and return number of occurence

Hi I want to search for a specific pattern in file Say ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD;PQR ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD_IS_NOT_ENOUGH;XYZ ABC;HELLO_UNIX_FORUM;LMN Pattern to search is : "HELLO_UNIX_*****" and not "HELLO_UNIX_***_***_" I mean after "HELLO_UNIX" there can only be one word.In this case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line

Hi All, Can you please guide me to search a string in a particular column of file and return the line number of the line where it was found using awk. As an example : abc.txt 7000,john,2,1,0,1,6 7001,elen,2,2,0,1,7 7002,sami,2,3,0,1,6 7003,mike,1,4,0,2,1 8001,nike,1,5,0,1,8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunshankar.c
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

gawk script to search and replace text in a flat file

Hi I am new to unix and newbie to this forum. I need help in writing a gawk script that search and replace particular text in a flat file. Input file text : ZIDE_CONTROL000 100000000003869920900000300000001ISYNC 000002225489 0000000002232122 20120321 16:40:53 ZIDE_RECORD000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkausmel
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to delete fields from flat file

I would like to know awk command to delete the specific feild from a flat file delimited by '|' if the first feild starts with 354 I tried awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|"} {$16=""; sub(/\|/, "")}'1 Input file: 354|||||GROUND||97||JUDD STREET|||LONDON||WC1H 9JG|ADI001| 354|||||FLAT 1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya_001
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for blank fields in a text file from a certain position?

Sample txt file : OK00001111112| OK00003443434|skjdaskldj OK32812983918|asidisoado OK00000000001| ZM02910291029|sldkjaslkjdasldjk what would be the shell script to figure out the blank space (if any) after the pipe sign? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
4 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)