Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: read from a file to a list
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read from a file to a list Post 302259341 by pinkgladiator on Tuesday 18th of November 2008 12:09:37 AM
Old 11-18-2008
read from a file to a list

Hello there,

I have a file that contents a list of email address, and each is separated by new lines. I want to read the first email address into TO: filed and the rest into a list and goes to cc field. I plan to use mailx to send the email. I inserted the email addresses into an array, but what can I do to turn the array into a list, so I can pass it to mailx command? The script is working, but it prints list of cc one by one. That won't work for mailx since I need all of them in a list. Thanks!

#read email address line by line, the first line always goes to TO field
fname="/home/.../emailFile.txt"
cc[100]="" #list of cc receipients

exec<$fname
value=0

while read line
do
value=`expr $value + 1`;
if [ $value -eq 1 ]
then
headit=$line
echo "headit email is: $headit" #receipient email address, always the first line in the file
else
cc[$value]=$line
echo "it contacts email: ${cc[$value]}"
fi
done

#mailx command to send email with a text body, attachment, cc, bcc, and replying address,
echo "test" | cat - body.txt | mailx -a attachment.html -b "bcc@mail.com" -c "$cc" -s "test" -r "reply@mail.com" "$headit"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a list one at a time

just have a muddled head at the moment... bare with me. say i have a variable $count... and a list in a file i want to use the $count line from that textfile but don't seem to recall how to access it? eg user=`cat file1.txt` # user to be $count line in that list? eg david... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortypig
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read list of filenames from text file, archive, and remove

I posted a week ago regarding this scripting question, but I need to revisit and have a few more questions answered.. User cfajohnson was extremely helpful with the archive script, but clarification on my part is needed to help steer the answer in a direction that works in this particular... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read list of filenames from text file and remove these files in multiple directories

I have a large list of filenames from an Excel sheet, which I then translate into a simple text file. I'd like to use this list, which contains various file extensions , to archive these files and then remove them recursively through multiple directories and subdirectories. So far, it looks like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with awk - how to read a content of a file from every file from file list

Hi Experts. I need to list the file and the filename comes from the file ListOfFile.txt. Basicly I have a filename "ListOfFile.txt" and it contain Example of ListOfFile.txt /home/Dave/Program/Tran1.P /home/Dave/Program/Tran2.P /home/Dave/Program/Tran3.P /home/Dave/Program/Tran4.P... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanit
7 Replies

5. Programming

Cannot read a file with read(fd, buffer, buffersize) function

# include <stdio.h> # include <fcntl.h> # include <stdlib.h> # include <sys/stat.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { int fRead, fPadded, padVal; int btRead; int BUFFSIZE = 512; char buff; if (argc != 4) { printf ("Please provide all of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naranja18she
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a list of paths from a file?

Hi everyone! I'm pretty bad at shell scripting and I am trying to create a java launcher. The idea is to store in a configuration file different paths (each for a different java version) and then, run a .sh file that would read the specified java path and execute the .jar file. This is what i have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mostacholoco
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When reading a csv file, counter to read 20 lines and wait for minute then read next 20 till end

Hello All, i am a newbie and need some help when reading a csv file in a bourne shell script. I want to read 10 lines, then wait for a minute and then do a reading of another 10 lines and so on in the same way. I want to do this till the end of file. Any inputs are appreciated ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor.s
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read workstation list from file und run command

Hi, how do I read in a file which includes a list of workstations and then run a command for each workstation ? I am unclear which command to use to read in , or is this not possible ? Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manni2
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file and execute the read command

Hi, I am facing issues with the below: I have a lookup file say lookup.lkp.This lookup.lkp file contains strings delimited by comma(,). Now i want to read this command from file and execute it. So my code below is : Contents in the lookup.lkp file is : c_e,m,a,`cd $BOX | ls cef_*|tail... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a lis, find items in a file from the list, change each item

Hello, I have some tab delimited text data, file: final_temp1 aname val NAME;r'(1,) 3.28584 r'(2,)<tab> NAME;r'(3,) 6.13003 NAME;r'(4,) 4.18037 r'(5,)<tab> You can see that the data is incomplete in some cases. There is a trailing tab after the first column for each incomplete row. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies
CALIBRE-SMTP(1) 						      calibre							   CALIBRE-SMTP(1)

NAME
calibre-smtp - part of calibre SYNOPSIS
calibre-smtp [options] [from to text] DESCRIPTION
Send mail using the SMTP protocol. calibre-smtp has two modes of operation. In the compose mode you specify from to and text and these are used to build and send an email message. In the filter mode, calibre-smtp reads a complete email message from STDIN and sends it. text is the body of the email message. If text is not specified, a complete email message is read from STDIN. from is the email address of the sender and to is the email address of the recipient. When a complete email is read from STDIN, from and to are only used in the SMTP negotiation, the message headers are not modified. Whenever you pass arguments to calibre-smtp that have spaces in them, enclose the arguments in quotation marks. OPTIONS
--version show program's version number and exit -h, --help show this help message and exit -l, --localhost Host name of localhost. Used when connecting to SMTP server. -o, --outbox Path to maildir folder to store failed email messages in. -f, --fork Fork and deliver message in background. If you use this option, you should also use --outbox to handle delivery failures. -t, --timeout Timeout for connection -v, --verbose Be more verbose COMPOSE MAIL Options to compose an email. Ignored if text is not specified -a, --attachment File to attach to the email -s, --subject Subject of the email SMTP RELAY Options to use an SMTP relay server to send mail. calibre will try to send the email directly unless --relay is specified. -r, --relay An SMTP relay server to use to send mail. --port Port to connect to on relay server. Default is to use 465 if encryption method is SSL and 25 otherwise. -u, --username Username for relay -p, --password Password for relay -e, --encryption-method Encryption method to use when connecting to relay. Choices are TLS and SSL. Default is TLS. SEE ALSO
The User Manual is available at http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual Created by Kovid Goyal <kovid@kovidgoyal.net> calibre-smtp (calibre 0.6.53) July 2010 CALIBRE-SMTP(1)