Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare two files and remove all the contents of one file from another Post 302259269 by Christoph Spohr on Monday 17th of November 2008 04:14:00 PM
Old 11-17-2008
Hi,

to print the different lines of two files try:

Code:
comm -3 file1 file2

and for further informations

Code:
man comm

Kind regards

Chris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare array contents with file

I have an array "arrA" with the following contents: A0012 Paint Shop.doc ES001 Contract Signature.doc Budget Plan.pdf TS PWS.pdf My data file "Files.dat" has the same contents: A0012 Paint Shop.doc ES001 Contract Signature.doc Budget Plan.pdf TS PWS.pdf I have a script that compares... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & replace contents within a file

I have 2 files file1 1 TMQUEUE QUE1 STMW633A 100 DMADM DOMGRPSTMW633A STMW633A 100 GWADM GWTGRPSTMW633A STMW633A 100 GWADM GWTGRPSTMW633AA STMW633A 100 GWADM GWTGRPSTMW638A STMW638A 100 TMSYSEVT EVTGRPSTMW633A STMW633A 100 TMSYSEVT ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaustubh137
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare 2 file contents , if same delete 2nd file contents

Give shell script....which takes two file names as input and compares the contents, is both are same delete second file's contents..... I try with "diff"...... but confusion how to use "diff" with if ---else Thanking you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to compare file contents

Hello Has anyone got an example shell script that I can use to compare the contents of two files. The files should contain the same contents, eg. file1.txt apple pear grape file2.txt apple pear grape (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deedaz
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare contents of two files

Hello, I have two files containing both two columns: $ cat file1 col1 nbr1 col2 nbr2 col3 nbr3 ... $ cat file2 val1 ri1 val2 ri2 val3 ri3 ... I need to compare every nbr (nbr1, nbr2,...) in the second column of file1 with every ri (ri1, ri2,...) in the second column of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpromo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to grep a pattern from file compare contents with another file and replace

Hi All, Need help on this I have 2 files one file file1 which has several entries as : define service{ hostgroup_name !host1,!host5,!host6,.* service_description check_nrpe } define service{ hostgroup_name !host2,!host4,!host6,.* service_description check_opt } another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namitai
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files and remove a line from a file if first column is greater than 25

my files are as follows fileA sepearated by tab /t 00 lieferungen 00 attractiop 01 done 02 forness 03 rasp 04 alwaysisng 04 funny 05 done1 fileB funnymou120112 funnymou234470 mou3raspnhdhv rddfgmoudone1438748 so all those record which are greater than 3 and which are not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajniman
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove // inbetween the files contents?

Hi Am Using unix Aix Have a file name called FILE1 having the content of FILE1 is cat FILE1 01/11/2012 03/11/2012 // // // 04/11/2012 I Need Output as:- cat FILE1 01/11/2012 03/11/2012 04/11/2012 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare two file contents which created within one hour?

Hi Gurus, I need to compare two file contents and log the difference. the detail as below: in current directory there is file abc20140728_1020.txt abc20140728_1110.txt I need to find the files which created within 60 minutes first then compare the contents. I am able to use find... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
COMM(1) 							   User Commands							   COMM(1)

NAME
comm - compare two sorted files line by line SYNOPSIS
comm [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
Compare sorted files FILE1 and FILE2 line by line. With no options, produce three-column output. Column one contains lines unique to FILE1, column two contains lines unique to FILE2, and column three contains lines common to both files. -1 suppress column 1 (lines unique to FILE1) -2 suppress column 2 (lines unique to FILE2) -3 suppress column 3 (lines that appear in both files) --check-order check that the input is correctly sorted, even if all input lines are pairable --nocheck-order do not check that the input is correctly sorted --output-delimiter=STR separate columns with STR --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Note, comparisons honor the rules specified by `LC_COLLATE'. EXAMPLES
comm -12 file1 file2 Print only lines present in both file1 and file2. comm -3 file1 file2 Print lines in file1 not in file2, and vice versa. AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report comm bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report comm translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
join(1), uniq(1) The full documentation for comm is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and comm programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'comm invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 COMM(1)