Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merge text files while combining the multiple header/trailer records into one each. Post 302259213 by jim mcnamara on Monday 17th of November 2008 12:56:55 PM
Old 11-17-2008
You did not give enough information to build a correct script
We need a sample header line a sample data line and a sample trailer line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy all the files with time stamp and remove header,trailer from file

All, I am new to unix and i have the following requirement. I have file(s) landing into input directory with timestamp, first i want to copy all these files into seperate directory then i want to rename these files without timestamp and also remove header,trailer from that file.. Could... (35 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksrams
35 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

improve performance - replace $\| with $#@ and remove header and trailer records

Hi All, In my file i need to remove header and trailer records which comes in 1st line and last line respectively. After that i need to replace '$\|' with '$#@'. I am using sed command for this and its taking lot of time. Is there any other command which can be used to improve performance? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HemaV
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Header and Trailer records to a appended file

How can we a shell script and pass date parameters .I have 3 files comming from Datastage with |" delimited I need append 3 files as above: File1: P0000|"47416954|"AU|"000|"INS|"0000|"|"20060601|"99991231|"|"|"|"|"01 File 2:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: e1994264
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge all csv files in one folder considering only 1 header row and ignoring header of all others

Friends, I need help with the following in UNIX. Merge all csv files in one folder considering only 1 header row and ignoring header of all other files. FYI - All files are in same format and contains same headers. Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiny_Roy
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help combining txt files w/ multiple lines into csv single cell - also need data merge

:confused:Hello -- i just joined the forums. I am a complete noob -- only about 1 week into learning how to program anything... and starting with linux. I am working in Linux terminal. I have a folder with a bunch of txt files. Each file has several lines of html code. I want to combine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jetsetter
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge the multiple text files into one file

Hi All, I am trying to merge all the text files into one file using below snippet cat /home/Temp/Test/Log/*.txt >> all.txt But it seems it is not working. I have multiple files like Output_ServerName1.txt, Output_ServreName2.txt I want to merge each file into one single file and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to merge multiple text files vertically and place comma between fields

Hello expert friends, I'm writing a script to capture stats using sar and stuck up at report generation. I have around 10 files in a directory and need to merge them all vertically based on the time value of first column (output file should have only one time value) and insert comma after... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple files with common header

Hi all, Say i have multiple files x1 x2 x3 x4, all with common header (date, time, year, age),, How can I merge them to one singe file "X" in shell scripting Thanks for your suggestions. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarguru
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Append pipe | at the end of all the rows except header n trailer for all the files under a directory

Hi Experts Need help... I am looking for a Unix script to append pipe | at the end of all the rows (except header and trailer)in all the files placed under the directory /interfaces/Temp e.g. Header row1 row2 row3 Trailer The script should read all the files under... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani333
3 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)