Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: two questions
Top Forums Programming two questions Post 302259157 by Corona688 on Monday 17th of November 2008 11:26:21 AM
Old 11-17-2008
More precisely, ctrl-c causes the shell to send sigint. And ctrl-D causes EOF -- the shell closes its own end of the pipe feeding into the process' standard input. The process will see there's no more data to read and quit instead of waiting forever on a pipe.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i got some questions :)

Hi! Im new to all this but the computer club im in has unix i think. now my questions. 1.is it NTFS i need to partion the harddrive with to be able to use unix? 2.Unix and Linux whats the diffrense?yes im a noob got no idea been using crap windows for ages and hate it. 3.I got a win98... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pierre
2 Replies

2. Programming

C questions

What does "extern" do? ex. extern int x; and another question, what about using static in functions? like: static void foo(), why? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
2 Replies

3. Solaris

2 Questions

Hello Everbody I hope you can give me a hand, I have some questions The first one itīs about some message that I donīt know what means, I was looking about it. but nothing. This is the message rsh: connection from bad port bsd-gw: Error reading from connection: Bad file number And my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just a few questions.

Hi everyone im new to this forums, i just wanted to get started by asking a few question(Im a Unix newbie) 1. How do i sort a file called "dirr" in a ascending order on the 3rd column 2. what does alias on=who do Thanks in advance!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Da Paper
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can any one help me out this questions.....

How do you locate all nonblank lines that don't begin with #, /* ,or // ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulsar2587
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just had a few questions

1) The lpr and sort utilities accept input either from a file named on the command line or from standard input. a)Name two other utilities that function in a similar manner. b)Name a utility that accepts its input only from standard input. 2) Explain the following error message. What... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: youngyou
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi questions

Hello, I would like to know how we can highlight/select a section of a file in vi and delete that section if we don't want to use the dd command to delete one line at at time. There is one where we don't want to delete the whole line , but up to a certain word. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies
pipe(2) 							System Calls Manual							   pipe(2)

Name
       pipe - create an interprocess channel

Syntax
       include <limits.h> /*Definition of PIPE_MAX*/
       pipe(fildes)
       int fildes[2];

Arguments
       fildes	 Passing an address as an array of two integers into the system call.

Description
       The system call creates an I/O mechanism called a pipe.	The file descriptors returned can be used in and operations.  Their integer values
       will be the two lowest available at the time of the function call.  The O_NONBLOCK and FD_CLOEXEC flags will be clear on both file descrip-
       tors.

When the pipe is written using the descriptor fildes[1], up to PIPE_MAX bytes of data are buffered before the writing process is suspended.
       A read using the descriptor fildes[0] picks up the data.

It is assumed that after the pipe has been set up, two (or more) cooperating processes (created by subsequent calls) pass data through  the
       pipe with and calls.

The shell has a syntax to set up a linear array of processes connected by pipes.

For further information on how and calls behave with pipes, see the and reference pages.

A signal is generated if a write on a pipe with only one end is attempted.

Restrictions
       Should more than 4096 bytes be necessary in any pipe among a loop of processes, deadlock may occur.

The  underlying	implementation	of  pipes is no longer socket based, but rather implemented through the file system.  Any application that
       needs socket functionality from pipes should use the system call.

Return Values
       The function value zero is returned if the pipe was created; -1 if an error occurred.

Diagnostics
       The call fails if:

[EMFILE]       Too many descriptors are active.

[ENFILE]       The system file table is full.

[EFAULT]       The fildes buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space.

Environment
       Differs from the System V definition in that ENFILE is not a possible error condition.

See Also
       sh(1), fork(2), read(2), socketpair(2), write(2)

pipe(2)