Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users don't understand the unix script Post 302259111 by pochaman on Monday 17th of November 2008 09:40:34 AM
Old 11-17-2008
don't understand the unix script

if {"$my_ext_type" = MAIN]; then
cd $v_sc_dir
Filex.SH $v_so_dir\/$v_fr_file
Can somebody tell me what does this suggest. I am pretty new to unix and
I am getting confused.
What i understood from here is
If we have a file extension name as MAIN
which we have then we change the directory to the path in
$v_sc_dir. And there we find the file Filex.SH [which we have].
Now comes the problem of my understanding. We have this path
$v_so_dir. But i dont know what this |[back slash means] can somebody tell me.
Also we have $v_fr_file -spool file. I am pretty confused. Please help me.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

I don`t understand how It work (about startup script)?

Hi all. The startup script in /usr/local/bin. After user login the script run an application. Iwould in the same way run the another application. How to make It similar? Where I must to look? Regards. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Don't understand how RS functions in awk

I learn using RS in awk to extract portion of file in this forum which is wonderful solution to the problem. However, I don't understand how exactly it operates. I don't quite understand the mechanism behind how searching for /DATA2/ can result in extracting the whole section under "DATA2" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe228
3 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

I don't understand some basics..

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: 1)find all lines in file ,myf that contain all the words cat dog and mouse in any order and start with the letter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cudders
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another Simple BASH command I don't understand. Help?

I have a text file called file1 which contains the text: "ls -l" When I enter this command: bash < file1 > file1 file1 gets erased. However if I enter this command: bash < file1 > newfile the output from "ls -l" is stored in newfile. My question is why doesn't file1's text ("ls -l") get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phunkypants
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl syntax that I don't understand.

I'm just trying to confirm that I understand someone's code correctly. If someone has code that says: $foo ||= mysub(); I'm assuming that it means if $foo is nothing or undef, then assign it some value via mysub(). If I'm wrong on this, please let me know. Also, what's the difference... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to compile and don't understand error message

this is my program i am trying to compile /* filedata -- display information about a file */ #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <sys/types.h> /* * use octarray for determing * if permission bits set */ static short octarray = {0400, 0200, 0100,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heywoodfloyd
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I don't understand conditions :(

Hi there, I have a very general question. I'm rather new to (bash) shell scripting and I don't understand how conditions work... I've read numerous tutorials but I don't get it. I really don't. Sometime what I do works, sometime it doesn't and that's frustating. So what's the actual difference... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hypsis
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Don't understand AWK asort behaviour

Hello, I have the following script : BEGIN { print "1 ***"; split("abc",T,""); T="e"; T="z"; T="y"; for (i in T) printf("%i:%s ",i,T); print ""; for (i=1; i<=length(T); i++) printf(T); print "" print "2 ***"; asort(T,U); for (i in U) printf("%i:%s ",i,U); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgilot
3 Replies
VLOCK-MAIN(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     VLOCK-MAIN(8)

NAME
vlock-main - lock current virtual console SYNOPSIS
vlock-main [plugins...] DESCRIPTION
vlock-main is part of vlock(1), the Virtual Console locking program for Linux. It locks the current session and will only exit if the cur- rent user can authenticate themselves. The root user will also be able to unlock the session, unless disabled at compile time. The com- mand line arguments specify plugins that should be loaded by vlock-main. See vlock-plugins(5) for more information. If plugin support is disabled at compile time, the only supported argument is "all". ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables can be used to change the behavior of vlock-main: USER If this variable is when vlock-main is run as root (uid 0) vlock locks the screen as this user instead of root. The root password will still be able to unlock the session, unless disabled at compile time. VLOCK_ALL_MESSAGE If this variable is set and all consoles are locked its contents will be used as the locking message instead of the default message. VLOCK_CURRENT_MESSAGE If this variable is set and only the current consoles is locked its contents will be used as the locking message instead of the default message. VLOCK_MESSAGE If this variable is set its contents will be used as the locking message instead of the default. This overrides the former two variables. VLOCK_TIMEOUT Set this variable to specify the timeout (in seconds) after which the screen saver plugins (if any) will be invoked. If this vari- able is unset or set to an invalid value or 0 no timeout is used. See vlock-plugins(5) for more information about plugins. VLOCK_PROMPT_TIMEOUT Set this variable to specify the amount of time (in seconds) you will have to enter your password at the password prompt. If this variable is unset or set to an invalid value or 0 no timeout is used. Warning: If this value is too low, you may not be able to unlock your session. SIGNALS
Several signals are ignored. vlock-main will try to exit cleanly if SIGTERM is received. SEE ALSO
vlock(1), vlock-plugins(5) AUTHORS
Frank Benkstein <frank-vlock@benkstein.net> Linux 28 July 2007 VLOCK-MAIN(8)