Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Locking a script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Locking a script Post 302259083 by bsddaemon on Monday 17th of November 2008 07:44:25 AM
Old 11-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave123
Hello everyone

Im sure this has been asked lots of times before, but after endless searching i cant find what i need.
How can i make a bash script unreadable to all, including root, but still executable, im not worried about editing it again etc... , is there a way to convert it or something, i have tried chmod and chown, but root is still able to view the script, or is not possible.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
Root is your machine's god.

The only thing I can think of is to encrypt your bash file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

System Locking Up

I have a server that is locking up pretty frequently for serveral months. I have about 4 dumb terminals running off this server and it appears that when the system is about to lock up it starts to run really slow on one of the terminals and then the rest follow suit until it just craps out. We... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcrawfo4
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Locking

Hi, Does anyone know what happens when two processes are simultaneously trying to write to a single file in UNIX (AIX)? Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penfold
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

locking problem

Hi... after unlock my computer from lock, all telnet windows which i opened previously are closing automaticaly... i hope u understand....plz give solution... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatramana
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locking in Unix?

Hi all! I want to know about Mapping Filesystems to Multiprocessor Systems.( lock ...) and Traditional UNIX Locking Primitives. Can you help me? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nguoidoius
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file locking

how do i implement file locking in unix? example if i want to update a file, i would like to use file locking. how do i implement it? i am using shell script thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yang
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to do file locking?

how to ensure all files are being locked while updateing some files? example when i want to update the password and shadow file in unix. how do i implement file locking?? please advice thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yang
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

locking mechanism

I have a shell script. How can use some kind of locking mechanism to ensure that the script is not being executed by two people at the same time? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File locking

i am working on a device runnin on linux....i have configured the samba server in the device such that my windows PC can access a shared folder in the device. Also in the device i am runnin some programs which access the files in this shared folder. What i want to know is whether there is any way i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhinx
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Locking Down SFTP

Hi List, I'm sure this has been done before and there must be several ways to skin the cat on this topic. What I am trying to achieve is set up user accounts for use with SFTP based on the standard OpenSSH protocol. And I want to be able to lock them down so that they cannot browse outside of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Which process/script is locking account ?

There is a account - ohsuser on Solaris-10 zone. It is getting locked every 2-3 minutes. Can I know, what is process or script, which is using this account and locking it ? root@tswsd23-prdt01:/root# cat /var/adm/messages | tail -10 Sep 24 11:05:53 tswsd23-prdt01 nmo: Excessive (3) login... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
5 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe name ... DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /usr/bin/gdb'' it will create the following two files: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1026675 Jun 7 13:53 /usr/bin/gdb -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2304524 May 30 13:02 /usr/bin/gdb~ /usr/bin/gdb~ is the original file and /usr/bin/gdb is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /usr/bin/gdb~ once you are sure that /usr/bin/gdb works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some standard utilities (basename, chmod, ln, mkdir, mktemp, rm, sleep, and tail). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)