Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I want to change login failure message, "login incorrect" Post 302259037 by vbe on Monday 17th of November 2008 05:06:31 AM
Old 11-17-2008
In /etc/profile, put:
Code:
if [[ ${LOGNAME} = "tom"  ]]
then
  echo "${LOGNAME} is not allowed to login. Contact your system administrator"
  sleep 5
  exit 1
fi

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

do you believe X-application will "kill" the CDE and come back to login dialog

1 . Thanks you for reading the letter 2 . I have programe a X-application .Sometimes, I run it from terminal of CDE ,it "kill" the CDE and I meet the login dialog . I debug it . I find that the SIGHUP caused the X-app died .I do not run it from terminal of CDE ,I run it "click button" from panel ,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell"

Hi I have installed solaris 10 on an intel machine. Logged in as root. In CDE, i open terminal session, type login alex (normal user account) and password and i get this message No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" :confused: What i want is: open various... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script as a login shell return "no controlling terminal"

I have created a ksh shell script and used it as a login shell for a user. </etc/passwd> lramirev:x:111:200:Luis:/export/home/menush:/usr/local/menush/menush My shell script is like this: </usr/local/menush/menush> #!/bin/ksh # if ] then . $HOME/.profile fi ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramirev
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script that can give login password for "ssh" without involving STDIN

Hi Folks, I am writing a shell script that can logon to remote machine automatically. But, I am facing one problem. I am using "ssh" command in script and while login into remote machine it asks for passowrd and it stops for STDIN input for password. I want my script to supply password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gydave
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to install "source" command!/ broken "login.cl"!

Hello, I am new to this forums and this is my first "asking help" message! i have 2 problems: 1- for unknown reasons the "source" command is not avalable in my system (UBUNTU). i can't either see it in my bin directory! 2- again for unknown reasons the "login.cl" file in the home... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: astrosona
0 Replies

6. Solaris

error message rmclomv ... SC Login Failure for user Please login:

Hello World ~ HW : SUN Fire V240 OS : Solaris 8 Error message prompts 'rmclomv ... SC login failure ...' on terminal. and Error Message prompts continually 'SC Login Failure for user Please login:' on Single Mode(init S) The System is in normal operation, though In case of rain, Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Unable To Perform A "Passwordless" SSH Login To A Server

Greetings! I am trying to perform a passwordless SSH login from a HPUX 11.31 client to a HPUX 11.31 server. Whenever I do a "ssh -l root serverA" from the client, I am prompted for a password. Giving the password, I am able to successfully login. However I am trying to accomplish a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rob Sandifer
9 Replies

8. Linux

Showing "permission denied" when trying to login in - Montavista Linux

Hello friends, I have scratched my system and after that when I am trying to access the console via root login it's failing with an error message of "permission denied". I am able to access the other login, I am having only problem with root and some other user login. I am using an telnet... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanoop
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Showing "permission denied" when trying to login in - Montavista Linux

Hello friends, I have scratched my system and after that when I am trying to access the console via root login it's failing with an error message of "permission denied". I am able to access the other login, I am having only problem with root and some other user login. I am using an telnet... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanoop
7 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)