Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting filtering one file based on results from other Post 302258642 by digipak on Saturday 15th of November 2008 06:01:54 AM
Old 11-15-2008
Thanks a lot

Yes.... It works perfectly as I wanted it. Thanks a million for your help. I really appreciate it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering list results

I created a large file list using: find . -type f -mtime +540 > test2.txt ..which searched recursively down the directory tree searching for any file older than 540 days. I would like to filter the results removing the directory name and the "/" character, resulting in only a list of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering records of a file based on a value of a column

Hi all, I would like to extract records of a file based on a condition. The file contains 47 fields, and I would like to extract only those records that match a certain value in one of the columns, e.g. COL1 COL2 COL3 ............... COL47 1 XX 45 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: risk_sly
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering one file based on results from other- AGAIN

I have asked this question here before and got the answer too. Unfortunately I used only one record as an example and the script works fine for one record but not for more than one record. Can anybody help me with writing a script for the data that I want to use from one file based on the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: digipak
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering records based on numeric field value in 8th position

I have a ";" delimited file.Whcih conatins a number fileds of length 4 charcters in 8th position But there is a alphanumeric charcters like : space, ";" , "," , "/" , "23-1" , "23 1" , "aqjhdj" , "jun-23" , "APR-04" , "4:00AM" , "-234" , "56784 ", "." , "+" "_" , "&" , "*" , "^" , "%" , "!"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indusri
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: filtering lines based on duplicate values in a column

Hi I have a file like this. I need to eliminate lines with first column having the same value 10 times. 13 18 1 + chromosome 1, 122638287 AGAGTATGGTCGCGGTTG 13 18 1 + chromosome 1, 128904080 AGAGTATGGTCGCGGTTG 13 18 1 - chromosome 14, 13627938 CAACCGCGACCATACTCT 13 18 1 + chromosome 1,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering records from 1 file based on some manipulation doen on second file

Hi, I am looking for an awk script which should help me to meet the following requirement: File1 has records in following format INF: FAILEd RECORD AB1234 INF: FAILEd RECORD PQ1145 INF: FAILEd RECORD AB3215 INF: FAILEd RECORD AB6114 ............................ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mintu41
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering first file columns based on second file column

Hi friends, I have one file like below. (.csv type) SNo,data1,data2 1,1,2 2,2,3 3,3,2 and another file like below. Exclude data1 where Exclude should be treated as column name in file2. I want the output shown below. SNo,data2 1,2 2,3 3,2 Where my data1 column got removed from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering duplicates based on lookup table and rules

please help solving the following. I have access to redhat linux cluster having 32gigs of ram. I have duplicate ids for variable names, in the file 1,2 are duplicates;3,4 and 5 are duplicates;6 and 7 are duplicates. My objective is to use only the first occurrence of these duplicates. Lookup... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Filtering based on column values

Hi there, I am trying to filter a big file with several columns using values on a column with values like (AC=5;AN=10;SF=341,377,517,643,662;VRT=1). I wont to filter the data based on SF= values that are (bigger than 400) ... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: daashti
25 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Filtering records of a csv file based on a value of a column

Hi, I tried filtering the records in a csv file using "awk" command listed below. awk -F"~" '$4 ~ /Active/{print }' inputfile > outputfile The output always has all the entries. The same command worked for different users from one of the forum links. content of file I was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmudikonda
3 Replies
JOIN(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   JOIN(1)

NAME
join -- relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-a file_number | -v file_number] [-e string] [-o list] [-t char] [-1 field] [-2 field] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The join utility performs an ``equality join'' on the specified files and writes the result to the standard output. The ``join field'' is the field in each file by which the files are compared. The first field in each line is used by default. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 which have identical join fields. Each output line consists of the join field, the remaining fields from file1 and then the remaining fields from file2. The default field separators are tab and space characters. In this case, multiple tabs and spaces count as a single field separator, and leading tabs and spaces are ignored. The default output field separator is a single space character. Many of the options use file and field numbers. Both file numbers and field numbers are 1 based, i.e., the first file on the command line is file number 1 and the first field is field number 1. The following options are available: -a file_number In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. -e string Replace empty output fields with string. -o list The -o option specifies the fields that will be output from each file for each line with matching join fields. Each element of list has either the form file_number.field, where file_number is a file number and field is a field number, or the form '0' (zero), repre- senting the join field. The elements of list must be either comma (',') or whitespace separated. (The latter requires quoting to protect it from the shell, or, a simpler approach is to use multiple -o options.) -t char Use character char as a field delimiter for both input and output. Every occurrence of char in a line is significant. -v file_number Do not display the default output, but display a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. The options -v 1 and -v 2 may be specified at the same time. -1 field Join on the field'th field of file1. -2 field Join on the field'th field of file2. When the default field delimiter characters are used, the files to be joined should be ordered in the collating sequence of sort(1), using the -b option, on the fields on which they are to be joined, otherwise join may not report all field matches. When the field delimiter char- acters are specified by the -t option, the collating sequence should be the same as sort(1) without the -b option. If one of the arguments file1 or file2 is '-', the standard input is used. EXIT STATUS
The join utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
For compatibility with historic versions of join, the following options are available: -a In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in both file1 and file2. -j1 field Join on the field'th field of file1. -j2 field Join on the field'th field of file2. -j field Join on the field'th field of both file1 and file2. -o list ... Historical implementations of join permitted multiple arguments to the -o option. These arguments were of the form file_number.field_number as described for the current -o option. This has obvious difficulties in the presence of files named 1.2. These options are available only so historic shell scripts do not require modification and should not be used. SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), paste(1), sort(1), uniq(1) STANDARDS
The join command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
July 5, 2004 BSD