Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Modify the swap on Solaris10 on a volume VERITAS Post 302258610 by incredible on Saturday 15th of November 2008 01:04:05 AM
Old 11-15-2008
1. Create a volume for additional swap/dump:

# vxassist -g rootdg -U swap make swapvol2 2g

Note:

The additional swap and dump does not have to be in the rootdg/vg00.
The additional swap and dump can be on the same volume or separate volumes.

2. Add the following entries for additional swap/dump in /etc/fstab:

/dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/swapvol2 ... swap pri=1 0 0
/dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/swapvol2 ... dump defaults 0 0

Note: Since the dump device has no priority like swap, you don't need to specify pri=1 like swap device.

3. Activate the additional swap/dump:

# swapon -a
# crashconf -a

4. Modify /etc/rc.config.d/crashconf, uncomment the following line:

# CRASHCONF_READ_FSTAB: If set to 1, /etc/fstab will be scanned looking for
# "dump" devices, which will be configured as crash dump
# devices.
CRASHCONF_READ_FSTAB=1 <<--- here

5. Verify the configuration of additional swap/dump:

# swapinfo -tm
# crashconf -v

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

veritas filesystem and volume manager

WHat is the difference between Veritas filesystem and veritas volume manager? Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: knarayan
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

VEritas Volume Manager command

Hi, Somebody can help me to retrieve the command to use in Solaris 8 to display the space free on a Virtual disk created by VVM ? Thanks very much, Fabien Renaux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unclefab
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to resize mirror volume in veritas volume manager 3.5 on Solaris 9 OE

Hi all, I have a problem with vxvm volume which is mirror with two disks. when i am try to increase file system, it is throwing an ERROR: can not allocate 5083938 blocks, ERROR: can not able to run vxassist on this volume. Please find a sutable solutions. Thanks and Regards B. Nageswar... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nageswarb
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regarding Veritas Volume manager

hy guys I am new at this thread , i have installed sf 5.0 and wanted to encapsulate root disk but when i get to optionn to enter private region i get this error: Enter desired private region length (default: 65536) 512 VxVM ERROR V-5-2-338 The encapsulation operation failed with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charneet
2 Replies

5. Solaris

veritas volume manager links

Hi all, Anybody know the URLs of veritas volume manager disk problems,volume problems,root disk problems ...etc. Please share the URL's. i really appreciate for cooperation. regards krishna (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: murthy76
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Swap issue on a Solaris10 box

One of our system is running 3 oracle db instances. And as per prstat o/p the system is approximately using 78G of swap memory # prstat -J -n 2,15 PROJID NPROC SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME CPU PROJECT 4038 557 31G 29G 22% 113:23:43 10% proj1 4036 466 20G 19G... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

7. Solaris

veritas volume in DETACH STATE

Hello, recently some disks lost contact with solaris 10 system but the disks came back online on their own. I used "vxreattach disk" to attach them to dg and started raid 5 volume. Voulme's kstate is Enabled however state is DETACH. It bothers me a lot. In this state also I can mount the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: upengan78
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Veritas I/O fencing issue on Solaris10

I have 2 clusters running on solaris10 servers. VCS is working fine but when i configure I/O fencing with co-ordinated disks only one node have the keys on the disks at time where as both the nodes shuld have keys there what could be the reason for this ? like in the following o/p only Node2's... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VERITAS Volume Manager - mirror a disk/volume

I have a machine (5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210) that we are upgrading the storage and my task is to mirror what is already on the machine to the new disk. I have the disk, it is labeled and ready but I am not sure of the next steps to mirror the existing diskgroup and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rookieuxixsa
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extend a disk in veritas volume manager in veritas cluster?

Hi Experts, I wanted to extend a veritas file system which is running on veritas cluster and mounted on node2 system. #hastatus -sum -- System State Frozen A node1 running 0 A node2 running 0 -- Group State -- Group System Probed ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skmanojkum
1 Replies
fstab(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  fstab(4)

NAME
fstab - static information about the file systems SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is an ASCII file that resides in directory contains a list of mountable file-system entries. Each file-system entry appears on a separate line, and consists of fields separated by one or more blanks or tabs. The order of entries in is important only for entries without a pass number field. Entries without a pass number are sequentially checked by (see fsck(1M)) after the entries with a pass number have been checked. Each file-system entry must contain a device special file and may additionally contain all of the following fields, in the following order: directory type options backup frequency pass number (on parallel comment If any field after the name of the device special file is present, all fields must be present in the order indicated, to ensure correct place-holding. Entries from this file are accessed using (see getmntent(3X)). The fields are separated by white space, and a as the first non-whitespace character in an entry or field indicates a comment. device special file A block device special file name. This field is used by and other commands to identify the location of the storage device on which the file system resides. If type is this entry is ignored since a block device is not required for a memory file system. directory Name of the root of the mounted file system that corresponds to the device special file. If type is there is no corre- sponding device special file; directory is the root of the memory based file system. If type is directory can be the name of any directory within a file system. Only one directory should be specified per file system. directory must already exist and must be given as an absolute path name. type Can be or a file system type (for example, or If type is the device special file is made available as an area of swap space by the command (see swapon(1M)). The options field is valid. The fields directory, pass number, and backup frequency are ignored for entries. If type is the file system in which directory resides is made available as swap space by The options field is valid. The fields device special file, pass number, and backup frequency are ignored for entries. If type is the device special file field is ignored; the corresponding entry displayed in is Additionally, if type is will skip the entry even for matches of directory, if a different type is specified to If type is the device special file is made available as an area into which a system crash dump may occur, by the com- mand (see crashconf(1M)). The fields options, directory, pass number, and backup frequency are ignored for entries. Entries marked by the type are ignored by all commands and can be used to mark unused sections. If type is specified as either or the entry is ignored by the and commands (see mount(1M) and fsck(1M)). fsck also ignores entries with type specified as or options A comma-separated list of option keywords, as found in or (see mount(1M) and swapon(1M)). The keywords used depend on the parameter specified in type. backup frequency Reserved for possible use by future backup utilities. pass number Used by the command to determine the order in which file system checks are done. The root file system should be speci- fied with a pass number of 1, to be checked first, and other file systems should have larger numbers. (A file system with a pass number of zero is ignored by the command.) File systems within a drive should be assigned different pass numbers, but file systems on different drives can be checked on the same pass, to utilize possible parallelism available in the hardware. If pass number is not present, checks each such file system sequentially after all eligible file systems with pass numbers have been checked. comment An optional field that begins with a character and ends with a new-line character. Space from the pass number to the comment field (if present) or to the new-line is reserved for future use. There is no limit to the number of device special file fields in NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS If the field type is a remote NFS file system is implied. For NFS file systems, the device special file should be the serving machine name followed by ":" followed by the path on the serving machine of the directory being served. The pass number and backup frequency fields are ignored for NFS entries. EXAMPLES
Examples of typical entries: Add an HFS file system at using default mount options; (backup frequency 0) fsck pass 2: Add a device to a system managed using LVM, with default options (Note, the directory field cannot be empty, even though it is ignored): Add a swap device on a system implementing whole-disk layout to use the space after the end of the file system (options Add file system swap space on the file system containing directory type is set options to and (see swapon(1M)) for explanation of options). device field is ignored but must not be empty: (Note that both a file system entry and a swap entry are required for devices providing both services.) Use a device for dump space if the system crashes. directory field is ignored but must not be empty: (Note that both a swap entry and a dump entry are required for devices providing both services.) Add a MemFS file system at of The device special file field is ignored but must not be empty: WARNINGS
HP-UX system administration tools that provide file system mount management interfaces may read and/or write System administrators should be careful not to simultaneously modify this file with one of these tools. DEPENDENCIES
NFS Here is an example for mounting an NFS file system on systems that support NFS file systems: AUTHOR
fstab was developed by HP, AT&T, Sun Microsystems, Inc., and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
crashconf(1M), fsck(1M), mount(1M), swapon(1M), getfsent(3X), getmntent(3X), mnttab(4). fstab(4)