Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting arrays not printing properly in bash Post 302258531 by npatwardhan on Friday 14th of November 2008 06:31:53 PM
Old 11-14-2008
arrays not printing properly in bash

hi guys,
i wrote this script and it takes some fields from a file and puts it into three different arrays. The first array works just fine but when I try to use the second array (ARRAY1) all i get is a blank value on the screen..

this works fine..i get ARRAY[9] value on the screen just fine
Code:
exec 10<io
while read LINE <&10; do
    ARRAY[$count]=$LINE
    ((count++))
done
echo Number of elements: ${#ARRAY[@]}
echo ${ARRAY[@]}
echo ${ARRAY[9]}
exec 10>&-

this does not work..it shows me blank value on the output
Code:
exec 10<io1
while read LINE <&10; do
    ARRAY1[$count]=$LINE
    ((count++))
done
echo Number of elements: ${#ARRAY1[@]}
echo ${ARRAY1[@]}
echo ${ARRAY1[1]}
exec 10>&-

echo ${ARRAY1[@]} shows all the elements just fine but echo ${ARRAY1[1]} shows a blank on the screen..
what is wrong here?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing arrays

Suppose I assign these variables: n=5 row=n let col=n/2 val=17 let table$row=val I want to print the last variable. How do I do that? I have tried: echo ${table$row} This is the error message: ksh: ${table$row}: bad substitution (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: morkfard
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrays in bash.need help

:confused: Is it possible to delete array elements dynamically.For instance,consider an array( a b c d ) ,now can i delete array (the third element 'c').So that the array becomes array(a b d).. Thanks in advance!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tj23
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching Bash Arrays

Hi, I am writing a bash shell script. I would like to execute a statement only if an array contains a specific value. For example: array=(1 3 5 7) I would like to execute the statement only if the value 3 is present in ${array}. Thanks for any help, Mike (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

arrays in bash

hi guys, i have the following script and when i run it i get blank lines on the screen.. i am trying to display the contents of array var.. #!/usr/bin/bash var=`awk 'NR>20&&NR<31' try.sum | awk '{print $4}'` echo "${var}" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtraction in bash arrays

hi i am using bash shell to perform some subraction. here is what i have: i have a while loop and am using i as a counter. diff= `expr ${ARRAY1} - ${ARRAY2}` for example array1 has -0.7145 and array2 has -0.7041. when i try the above command, i get expr: non-numeric argument. any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Yet another bash arrays question

Hi all, I have a file that contains many lines, but only a few are of my interest, so I'm cutting it with grep + awk, and the result I get is for example line 0 line 1 line 2 line 3 line n Now I want to store each line in an array "cell" so I can use it later calling to ${array},... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuxSax
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving old files bash script - not working properly

I'm trying to write a script that moves data that's older than 2 weeks to a different place. It works well, EXCEPT, that when the script hits a file within a directory inside the working directory, it will move it to the root of the destination directory instead of putting it in the correct... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ugolee
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash-how to properly READ and PASTE variables.

Recently i made a script for a project at molecular dynamics but am stuck at the last step.The thing i want to do is to ask the user to input the number of particles, then replace the bolded numbers at lines 9 and 17.. code #!/bin/bash #read number of particles echo "insert the number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arisinhell
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arrays in bash using strings to bash built-in true

I have the following code and for some reason when I call the program using /home/tcdata/tatsh/trunk/hstmy/bin/bash/raytrac.bash --cmod=jcdint.cmod I get hasArgument = hasArgument = true Somehow the array element is returning even though I have not chosen the option. ... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
41 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner here, how to call a bash-script from python properly?

Hi everyone, i have the following script.sh: foo='lsusb | grep Webcam | cut -c16-18' sudo /home/user/public/usbreset /dev/bus/usb/001/$foo when i try to call this script from python using subprocess.call("script.sh", shell=True) it seems that only 'sudo /home/user/public/usbreset' is being... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilfemir
6 Replies
ARRAY_REPLACE(3)							 1							  ARRAY_REPLACE(3)

array_replace - Replaces elements from passed arrays into the first array

SYNOPSIS
array array_replace (array $array1, array $array2, [array $...]) DESCRIPTION
array_replace(3) replaces the values of $array1 with values having the same keys in each of the following arrays. If a key from the first array exists in the second array, its value will be replaced by the value from the second array. If the key exists in the second array, and not the first, it will be created in the first array. If a key only exists in the first array, it will be left as is. If several arrays are passed for replacement, they will be processed in order, the later arrays overwriting the previous values. array_replace(3) is not recursive : it will replace values in the first array by whatever type is in the second array. PARAMETERS
o $array1 - The array in which elements are replaced. o $array2 - The array from which elements will be extracted. o $... - More arrays from which elements will be extracted. Values from later arrays overwrite the previous values. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array, or NULL if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Example #1 array_replace(3) example <?php $base = array("orange", "banana", "apple", "raspberry"); $replacements = array(0 => "pineapple", 4 => "cherry"); $replacements2 = array(0 => "grape"); $basket = array_replace($base, $replacements, $replacements2); print_r($basket); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => grape [1] => banana [2] => apple [3] => raspberry [4] => cherry ) SEE ALSO
array_replace_recursive(3), array_merge(3). PHP Documentation Group ARRAY_REPLACE(3)