Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Testing for empty file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Testing for empty file Post 302258508 by Ikon on Friday 14th of November 2008 05:19:44 PM
Old 11-14-2008
What error do you get??

I beleive if should be 2 && like below.
Code:
if [ -s results1.tmp ] && [-s results2.tmp]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

testing for file size in script

Has anyone got a few tips on how I can test if the file size is 0? I am moving files on a regular basis from one location to another with ftp. The files which are 0 bytes in size we want to discard. Thankyou in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ivo
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing existence of a file /directory

hey guys How can i test existence of a file /directory in a directory in a script thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaya
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

empty file in hp-ux

Hi, I need your help. How can I create an empty filename with a specific size, in hp-ux? Regards, Mizi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mizi
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to empty file using > but the file size increasing when next append

AIX 5.3 / KSH I have a Java application which creates a log file a.log. I have a KSH script which does the following action cp a.log /directory2/b.log > a.log After this the file size goes to 0 as per "ls -l" Then next time when the application writes into this file, the file size... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: firdousamir
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting same exit status for empty and non empty file

Hi All, I am checking for a empty input file to do some further action , but I am getting exit status 0 in both the cases , for empty and non empty file both. The value of $? is coming 0 in if part also and else part too. #!/bin/ksh if ]; then echo "data" # exit 0 echo "$?" else... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

testing if a file is a directory

i have written this simple script called isdir.sh #! /bin/bash dir=$1 _ls=`ls $dir` for file in $_ls do if then echo "D $file" fi donethe output is not right. for example $ ./isdir.sh src ***no output*** but i have in ~/src some directories drwxr-xr-x 2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: and77
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

testing file permissions.....

script name: filetest.sh if ; then echo " You didn't enter any argument" elif ; then echo " file not exist" elif ; then echo " file not readable" elif ; then echo " file not writable" else echo " file both readable and writable" fi running like... $ ./filetest filename ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ani83_pune
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing for one word in a file

I am trying to test the output of a file. What I have so far is this: if ]; then echo "yes";fi The problem with this is it works but I only want it to print out if the file contains the word "Compacted." The == sign means identical or equal to so it won't work. I tried ~ but that doesn't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File and directory testing

original post -- I have a korn shell script that does some things that depend on creating and writing a file in a directory. I'm looking for a more elegant/efficient way to do the check than what I'm using now: if ] then print "Creating ${STGDIR}/${SHOW}" mkdir... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dalej
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to reformat output if input file is empty, but not if file has data in it

The below awk improved bu @MadeInGermany, works great as long as the input file has data in it in the below format: input chrX 25031028 25031925 chrX:25031028-25031925 ARX 631 18 chrX 25031028 25031925 chrX:25031028-25031925 ARX 632 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)