Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Question about the system() function in C Post 302258462 by jim mcnamara on Friday 14th of November 2008 03:56:46 PM
Old 11-14-2008
Corona's point is well taken. One point to add:
Code:
getconf _POSIX_ARG_MAX

So if POSIX mode is taken as a maximum to be usable "everywhere" then we do not have to worry about excessive arguments. See your limits.h file, or sysconf() man page.

A good solution might be to write a script on the fly, then call system(), popen() or even fork()/exec() to run your text - commands string. The point being that a "universal" accepted lowest limit is pretty small, especially if you factor in ENV variables.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

system() function call...

Hi, Though I should check this myself.. but I don't have a cc compiler at this time.. :( When I compile a c program containing say system(myshell.sh).. do the executable require that the actual script myshell.sh to be present whenever it executes? I guess it needs.. otherwise I can just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
1 Replies

2. Programming

system function in c

Hai Friends I have used the function system() to execute a command. My requirement is that i have to list the files in a directory applying some wildcard paterns. For example if i want to list *.c files i go with the function system("ls *.c"); and the output gets printed on the monitor.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: collins
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FIND function - system wide

Hi, I have a task to search for a file called 'Xstartup' in the whole system because there might be different versions of it which overrite eachother. Can anyone suggest a smart command to run this search ? The machine needs to scan every single folder beginning from root. Please help, I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System() function in <stdlib.h>

Hi, guys ,, I want to know the implementation of System() function in C Unix, and its prototype definition: int system(const char * string) in the header file <stdlib.h> ??! please help me ! because that is part of my project !! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: someone33
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell function, system, awk

Hi all, I am calling a shell function within awk using system. I am struggling to get my expected output: #!/bin/sh set -o nounset BEG=44 END=55 shfun() { echo "1|2|3" } export -f shfun typeset -F > /dev/null awk 'BEGIN {OFS="|"; print "'"$BEG"'",system( "shfun"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkl_jkl
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use ${?} and system() function???

Hi All, I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode' commands for the same and those worked fine. Please find below the same. X " ( cat /sastemp/body.txt; uuencode test.xls test.xls ) | mailx -s 'testing'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manas6
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use system function in awk

Could any one tell me how to use the system function in awk? I want to use it to print the system date. I have been trying like this : yes |head -1|awk '{ system("date")}' When I execute the above it always returns back to the prompt. Your help would be much appreciated. regards,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_ksv
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using system function in C

Hi Guys , I want to use system function in C to do the following work. cp <file1> <file2> and then ><file1> e,g cp \var\log\cpm_cpmd_1.log.1 \var\log\cpm_cpmd_1.log.2 and then >\var\log\cpm_cpmd_1.log.1 1. g_config_info.cpmm_config.cpm_log_path=\var\log\ 2. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meet123321
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help using SYSTEM function in NAWK

I am scanning a file (line by line) for format errors. A line could have multiple errors. Each field in the line is evaluated for errors and sent, along w/ any error messages, to a temporary file. Finally, if any errors were detected, this temporary file is then appended to the errorFile. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aschera
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

System function in awk

Hello Friends, I have written a script like below, I aimed to move some CDR files (call data record) whose the last field is "1" (NF=1 ) from a spesific directory to a new directory Field Seperator is pipe. If the directory does not exitst i should create it. I will give the script two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
5 Replies
explain_system_or_die(3)				     Library Functions Manual					  explain_system_or_die(3)

NAME
explain_system_or_die - execute a shell command and report errors SYNOPSIS
#include <libexplain/system.h> void explain_system_or_die(const char *command); void explain_system_success_or_die(const char *command); int explain_system_success(const char *command); DESCRIPTION
These functions may be used to execute commands via the system(3) function, and report the results. explain_system_or_die void explain_system_or_die(const char *command); The explain_system_or_die function is used to call the system(3) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from explain_system(3), and then the process terminates by calling exit(EXIT_FAILURE). This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: int status = explain_system_or_die(command); command The command, exactly as to be passed to the system(3) system call. Returns: This function only returns on success, see system(3) for more information. On failure, prints an explanation and exits. explain_system_success_or_die void explain_system_success_or_die(const char *command); The explain_system_success_or_die function is used to call the system(3) system call. On failure, including any exit status other than EXIT_SUCCESS, an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from explain_system(3), and then the process terminates by calling exit(EXIT_FAILURE). This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: explain_system_success_or_die(command); command The command, exactly as to be passed to the system(3) system call. Returns: This function only returns on success. On failure, prints an explanation and exits. explain_system_success int explain_system_success(const char *command); The explain_system_success function is used to call the system(3) system call. On failure, including any exit status other than EXIT_SUC- CESS, an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from explain_system(3). However, the priniting of an error message does not also cause exit(2) to be called. This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: int status = explain_system_success(command); command The command, exactly as to be passed to the system(3) system call. Returns: the value returned by the system(3) system call. In all cases other than EXIT_SUCCESS, an error message will also have been printed to stderr. SEE ALSO
system(3) execute a shell command explain_system(3) explain system(3) errors exit(2) terminate the calling process COPYRIGHT
libexplain version 0.52 Copyright (C) 2008 Peter Miller explain_system_or_die(3)