Sponsored Content
Top Forums Web Development User authentication for some Perl CGI scripts Post 302258235 by cbkihong on Friday 14th of November 2008 05:26:23 AM
Old 11-14-2008
I'm not exactly sure what you meant by "I do not want to restrict the page to a few. Will this method not require me to explicitly add usernames of who can access". Well, there must be a list of users defined with password (password store) with any kind of authentication system. However, you can choose a format that allows you to more easily update who can have access (i.e. update the access list). You can also choose between an allow-by-default policy or a deny-by-default policy. That is if you don't want to have everybody authenticate, you can use an allow-by-default policy to define those explicitly require authentication, while the unstated ones can enter without authentication. This is all possible with easy Apache config.

The default password store is a text file. But Apache contains additional modules that allows you to put the authentication info in SQL database or DBM files that you can choose from. You can modify data stored in them from Perl.

I suggest you build yourself a simple test environment and see if that fits your use case because I'm not exactly sure what you meant.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help With CGI Scripts and .htaccess

Hi everyone, I need help with writing a script that does the following: a client/user goes onto my website, hits a link, it would pop up either 1. user name and password 2. password and directory name and then after they enter the required info, it would take them to their own folder. So... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crazycelicagts
6 Replies

2. Programming

Perl CGI Scripts

I need to create a webserver to run Perl CGI Scripts. Anyone have any ideas or good links? Yes I know there are lovely programs out there, but I need to build one in C. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cb.mark
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to share CGI Scripts across UNIX web server?

Hi, is it possible to create a CGI folder somewhere on the server and allow all domains on that server be able to access the scripts? I tried a ScriptAlias addition in httpd.conf but still no luck. Would greatly appreciate any tips! Thanks. Linux version 2.4.20-021stab028.3.777-enterprise Plesk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlsworld
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

isset() PHP function in cgi bash scripts

Hi! Some minutes ago I've posted a question related with sed regexps because I need to catch information sended with forms with GET action. This is the post: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/127800-regular-expression-sed.html But now I have a new question. Does cgi scripts have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GagleKas
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl LWP user authentication

Hello all.. i am new to perl scripting.. i wanted to parse a text file, encode the parsed text and attach in url.. please point me to right resources if you know any..This is my major problem. Now i try to get a url running and save it in a text file using LWP module in perl, I used following... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
0 Replies

6. Web Development

problem with exporting vairable from one perl cgi to another perl cgi script while redirecting.

Can anyone tell me how to export a variable from one perl CGI script to another perl cgi script when using a redirect. Upon running the login.pl the user is prompted to enter user name and password. Upon entering the correct credentials (admin/admin) the user is redirected to welcome page. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl cgi pages out of cgi-bin folder in WINDOWS

Hi team, I have a typical problem with cgi pages in apache webserver in WINDOWS I am able to execute(display) the pages that are saved in cgi-bin folder. But I am not able to execute the pages stored in htdocs or other folder other than cgi-bin folder. Could anyone please let me know how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl CGI : unable to download the excel sheet from perl cgi page

Hi All, I have written an cgi perl script that displays an image(Excel image) and when clicked on that Image I need to download a excel sheet. I made sure that excel sheet exists in the folder with the given name but still I am not able to download the sheet. print "<center><table... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

CGI Perl : while loop in CGI perl

Hi Team, I am trying to connect to database(succeeded ) and print the records on the browser using while loop. But the elements of array are not displayed instead while loop is displayed directly. Instead of the below I can embed html statements in print but I am looking for the below style as I... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripts - CGI and ssh

Hi Everyone, I started looking at the possibility of making some of our bash scripts available through a web server using CGI and the simple ones works just fine. Now I need to execute remote commands using ssh but can't really get it to work. I got private keys all sorted. Must be ssh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arizah
1 Replies
htpasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       htpasswd(1)

NAME
htpasswd - Create and update user authentication files SYNOPSIS
htpasswd [ -c ] [ -m ] passwdfile username htpasswd -b [ -c ] [ -m | -d | -p | -s ] passwdfile username password htpasswd -n [ -m | -d | -s | -p ] username htpasswd -nb [ -m | -d | -s | -p ] username password DESCRIPTION
htpasswd is used to create and update the flat-files used to store usernames and password for basic authentication of HTTP users. If htpasswd cannot access a file, such as not being able to write to the output file or not being able to read the file in order to update it, it returns an error status and makes no changes. Resources available from the httpd Apache web server can be restricted to just the users listed in the files created by htpasswd. This program can only manage usernames and passwords stored in a flat-file. It can encrypt and display password information for use in other types of data stores, though. To use a DBM database see dbmmanage. htpasswd encrypts passwords using either a version of MD5 modified for Apache, or the system's crypt() routine. Files managed by htpasswd may contain both types of passwords; some user records may have MD5-encrypted passwords while others in the same file may have passwords encrypted with crypt(). This manual page only lists the command line arguments. For details of the directives necessary to configure user authentication in httpd see the Apache manual, which is part of the Apache distribution or can be found at <URL:http://www.apache.org/>. OPTIONS
-b Use batch mode; i.e., get the password from the command line rather than prompting for it. This option should be used with extreme care, since the password is clearly visible on the command line. -c Create the passwdfile. If passwdfile already exists, it is rewritten and truncated. This option cannot be combined with the -n option. -n Display the results on standard output rather than updating a file. This is useful for generating password records acceptable to Apache for inclusion in non-text data stores. This option changes the syntax of the command line, since the passwdfile argument (usually the first one) is omitted. It cannot be combined with the -c option. -m Use MD5 encryption for passwords. On Windows and TPF, this is the default. -d Use crypt() encryption for passwords. The default on all platforms but Windows and TPF. Though possibly supported by htpasswd on all platforms, it is not supported by the httpd server on Windows and TPF. -s Use SHA encryption for passwords. Facilitates migration from/to Netscape servers using the LDAP Directory Interchange Format (ldif). -p Use plaintext passwords. Though htpasswd will support creation on all platforms, the httpd daemon will only accept plain text pass- words on Windows and TPF. passwdfile Name of the file to contain the user name and password. If -c is given, this file is created if it does not already exist, or rewritten and truncated if it does exist. username The username to create or update in passwdfile. If username does not exist in this file, an entry is added. If it does exist, the password is changed. password The plaintext password to be encrypted and stored in the file. Only used with the -b flag. EXIT STATUS
htpasswd returns a zero status ("true") if the username and password have been successfully added or updated in the passwdfile. htpasswd returns 1 if it encounters some problem accessing files, 2 if there was a syntax problem with the command line, 3 if the password was entered interactively and the verification entry didn't match, 4 if its operation was interrupted, 5 if a value is too long (username, filename, password, or final computed record), and 6 if the username contains illegal characters (see the RESTRICTIONS section). EXAMPLES
htpasswd /usr/local/etc/apache/.htpasswd-users jsmith Adds or modifies the password for user jsmith. The user is prompted for the password. If executed on a Windows system, the pass- word will be encrypted using the modified Apache MD5 algorithm; otherwise, the system's crypt() routine will be used. If the file does not exist, htpasswd will do nothing except return an error. htpasswd -c /home/doe/public_html/.htpasswd jane Creates a new file and stores a record in it for user jane. The user is prompted for the password. If the file exists and cannot be read, or cannot be written, it is not altered and htpasswd will display a message and return an error status. htpasswd -mb /usr/web/.htpasswd-all jones Pwd4Steve Encrypts the password from the command line (Pwd4Steve) using the MD5 algorithm, and stores it in the specified file. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
Web password files such as those managed by htpasswd should not be within the Web server's URI space -- that is, they should not be fetch- able with a browser. The use of the -b option is discouraged, since when it is used the unencrypted password appears on the command line. RESTRICTIONS
On the Windows and MPE platforms, passwords encrypted with htpasswd are limited to no more than 255 characters in length. Longer passwords will be truncated to 255 characters. The MD5 algorithm used by htpasswd is specific to the Apache software; passwords encrypted using it will not be usable with other Web servers. Usernames are limited to 255 bytes and may not include the character ':'. SEE ALSO
httpd(8) and the scripts in support/SHA1 which come with the distribution. May 2000 htpasswd(1)