Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Scripted passwd but it won't really be quiet! Post 302258212 by Tyralia on Friday 14th of November 2008 04:17:32 AM
Old 11-14-2008
Scripted passwd but it won't really be quiet!

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I have made a script that will always set the password back to a specified value when I log in as root, this is because for testing purposes I regularly change it as I'm logged in..but this isn't the point.

The thing that's bothering me is that the way I've done is:
passwd < the_password_is_here

where the_password_is_here has:
password
password

However, I want the whole passwd process to be quiet and not print anything to the screen.

Using:
passwd < the_password_is_here > dump
or
passwd < the_password_is_here | > dump

Did not work.
I'm assuming what's fundamentally wrong is the way I'm passing in a text file like that to circumvent me having to type the password in. If that's the case...what do I do to make it change my root password but not say a peep on the screen?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun E 10000 scripted shutdown

Howdy all. I am trying to configure a command file to be executed from a Sparc station to an E10000 to shut down at the same time. I do not have the hardware in which to actively test the script, but I do need some guidance, and Sun's documention on the E10000 leaves alot to be desired. Here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redfoot
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quiet System for Maintenance

I have backups that run in a cron @ midnight. Does the backup utility make sure that the system is quiet --(no users are logged on) or do I need to add some stuff to make sure nobody is accessing those file while they are being backed up. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

diffrent results between command line and scripted grep

When I type a command at the command line it supplies one result and the exact same command in a script egrep '^01|^02|^03|^04' file > fileout count = 29353 same count in the script yields a count of 23492 is there any reason this could be happening. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r1500
1 Replies

4. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripted Document Management System

Over the past 4 -5 years, I have cobbled together a rudimentary 'Document Management System' for a school district I support using Linux Bash Shell scripts.. The purpose of the scripting was to supplement features of a Job Applicant Center that had very simplistic methods of handle file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmuledeer
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between "QUIET=${QUIET:-yes}" and "QUIET=yes"

Hi, Can anyone tell me the difference between QUIET=${QUIET:-yes} and QUIET=yes . Regards, akash (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripted change of Oracle password on expiry

Hi All, I want to write a shell script to change the password on list of database servers, please guide me how do I achieve this. Please see below sample, how it is asking while manually changing the password, sqlplus test@oracle SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.2.0 - Production on Thu Jun 16... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

"rhgb quiet" controlling the display of commands in single user mode ?"rhgb quiet" controlling the d

Why does removing "rhgb quiet" from the kernel boot parameters control whether or not the commands I enter are displayed in single user mode ? For instance, if I do not remove "rhgb quiet", when I am in single user mode, whatever command I type will not be displayed on the screen. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies
vipw(1M)																  vipw(1M)

NAME
vipw - edit the password file SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
edits the password file while setting the appropriate locks, and does any necessary processing after the password file is unlocked. If the password file is already being edited, you will be told to try again later. The editor is used unless the environment variable indicates an alternate editor. performs a number of consistency checks on the password entry for and does not allow a password file with an incorrectly formatted root entry to be installed. To help reduce the possibility of leaving the system in an unbootable state, root's entry is not considered prop- erly formatted if it has a user ID that is not zero, or if it has a shell other than or Please refer to passwd(4) and the manual for further details of password file format. WARNINGS
An file that is not removed when a system crashes prevents further editing of the file using after the system is rebooted. is the standard lock used by all commands which knowingly modify Successful execution of is not sufficient for proper system operation. To help maintain consistency with other system databases, editing of the password file with is generally discouraged. Please use or to edit AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), chsh(1), passwd(1), sam(1M), useradd(1M), usermod(1M), userdel(1M), passwd(4). vipw(1M)