Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SED Substitution
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED Substitution Post 302258207 by paresh n doshi on Friday 14th of November 2008 04:02:45 AM
Old 11-14-2008
Is this a homework or sth?

try this,
tr -s " " < filename > outfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substitution using sed

I know we can substitute a string using sed but how? For example: sed 's/(old variable)/(new variable)/ details.dat Am I suppose to put $old variable or whatever? Because I tried many times, it didnt work by putting $old variable. Am I suppose to enclose it with "" or ''? Please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ohji
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitution

Hi, I have a set of files containing strings like I.TEST1_TEST2 or B.ESSA_ESSB for example. Does somebody know how to substitute these strings whith the same name and an extension "_V1" (ie. I.TEST1_TEST2_V1) using sed command or else ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jo_aze
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution using SED

Hi , I am stuck up in the below scenario:- I need to read a file name (eg A.txt) name frm another file (eg B.txt) and then I need to search for a particular expression in A.txt and substitute it with another expression. How can I use SED inside SHELL Scripting and command prompt as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Substitution

Hi , I am stuck up in the below scenario:- I need to read a file name (eg A.txt) name frm another file (eg B.txt) and then I need to search for a particular expression in A.txt and substitute it with another expression. How can I use SED inside SHELL Scripting and command prompt as well to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Hi I am trying to do a text insertion in a text file at a particular line number in a shell script. However its not working. sed '122i\ > for j in \`echo $MyList\` ; do perl -pi -e\'s#01\/01\/2009#01\/01\/2011#\' $j ; done' $HOME/MyScript.ksh The Actual line to be inserted at line 122... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with sed substitution

I'm a noob to unix, and I have a line of data like the following: title=Boston|tcolor=green|desc=Large city in New England|url=www.boston.com Is there a way to change a field value with sed substitution? (i.e. change tcolor=green to tcolor=blue) I figured out: sed... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: stabby
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution with sed

I have a file with some numbers having single quotes around them which I want to remove. i.e. '923930' -> 23930 If it can be done without using sed thats fine. I have tried with sed but can't think how to replace this pattern on only the numbers (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_invalid
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Hello, I have two files. File1 is normal txt file and File2 contains list of line numbers. e.g. File2: 3 6 9 ..... I need to replace a character in File1 in lines (taken from File2). For that I am using a "for" loop: for i in $(cat File2) do sed "$i s/Y/N/" File1 done but my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitution

How can you use sed with a line of code that reads: 67899:Bill:Williams:Maple Dr.:45908600 Let us say we want to replace Maple Dr. with Oak St. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yonkers062986
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Hi everyone, I need very simple sed command to change a parameter in a text file. I have a line in this text which is like set xx 0.5 A program reads this file and does some algebraic calculations. So to make a parameter scan I need to change the value of xx. I thought I can do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hayreter
7 Replies
DBIx::ContextualFetch(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				DBIx::ContextualFetch(3pm)

NAME
DBIx::ContextualFetch - Add contextual fetches to DBI SYNOPSIS
my $dbh = DBI->connect(...., { RootClass => "DBIx::ContextualFetch" }); # Modified statement handle methods. my $rv = $sth->execute; my $rv = $sth->execute(@bind_values); my $rv = $sth->execute(@bind_values, @bind_cols); # In addition to the normal DBI sth methods... my $row_ref = $sth->fetch; my @row = $sth->fetch; my $row_ref = $sth->fetch_hash; my %row = $sth->fetch_hash; my $rows_ref = $sth->fetchall; my @rows = $sth->fetchall; my $rows_ref = $sth->fetchall_hash; my @tbl = $sth->fetchall_hash; DESCRIPTION
It always struck me odd that DBI didn't take much advantage of Perl's context sensitivity. DBIx::ContextualFetch redefines some of the various fetch methods to fix this oversight. It also adds a few new methods for convenience (though not necessarily efficiency). SET-UP my $dbh = DBIx::ContextualFetch->connect(@info); my $dbh = DBI->connect(@info, { RootClass => "DBIx::ContextualFetch" }); To use this method, you can either make sure that everywhere you normall call DBI->connect() you either call it on DBIx::ContextualFetch, or that you pass this as your RootClass. After this DBI will Do The Right Thing and pass all its calls through us. EXTENSIONS
execute $rv = $sth->execute; $rv = $sth->execute(@bind_values); $rv = $sth->execute(@bind_values, @bind_cols); execute() is enhanced slightly: If called with no arguments, or with a simple list, execute() operates normally. When when called with two array references, it performs the functions of bind_param, execute and bind_columns similar to the following: $sth->execute(@bind_values); $sth->bind_columns(undef, @bind_cols); In addition, execute will accept tainted @bind_values. I can't think of what a malicious user could do with a tainted bind value (in the general case. Your application may vary.) Thus a typical idiom would be: $sth->execute([$this, $that], [($foo, $bar)]); Of course, this method provides no way of passing bind attributes through to bind_param or bind_columns. If that is necessary, then you must perform the bind_param, execute, bind_col sequence yourself. fetch $row_ref = $sth->fetch; @row = $sth->fetch; A context sensitive version of fetch(). When in scalar context, it will act as fetchrow_arrayref. In list context it will use fetchrow_array. fetch_hash $row_ref = $sth->fetch_hash; %row = $sth->fetch_hash; A modification on fetchrow_hashref. When in scalar context, it acts just as fetchrow_hashref() does. In list context it returns the complete hash. fetchall $rows_ref = $sth->fetchall; @rows = $sth->fetchall; A modification on fetchall_arrayref. In scalar context it acts as fetchall_arrayref. In list it returns an array of references to rows fetched. fetchall_hash $rows_ref = $sth->fetchall_hash; @rows = $sth->fetchall_hash; A mating of fetchall_arrayref() with fetchrow_hashref(). It gets all rows from the hash, each as hash references. In scalar context it returns a reference to an array of hash references. In list context it returns a list of hash references. ORIGINAL AUTHOR
Michael G Schwern as part of Ima::DBI CURRENT MAINTAINER
Tony Bowden <tony@tmtm.com> LICENSE
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
DBI. Ima::DBI. Class::DBI. perl v5.10.0 2005-09-27 DBIx::ContextualFetch(3pm)