Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do I go about finding a value located in one file in another? Post 302258156 by Annihilannic on Friday 14th of November 2008 12:06:46 AM
Old 11-14-2008
Most greps accept a -f option to specify a file containing the list of strings to search for, so you can use that to filter the required lines out of file2, e.g.

Code:
grep -wf file1 file2 > outputfile

The -w makes it match whole words so that it doesn't confuse MARK and MARKETA, for example.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Where Xorg X-Lock file is located in Solaris?

I am using Xorg server with Solaris 10. After unnormal poweroff dtlogin tells: "The X-server can not be started on display :0" I am absolutelly sure it is because there is still a X-lock file from the previouse X-session somewhere, but I do not know where is it located in Solaris! :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eugrus
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pls Help - Need to edit file located in several directories

I need to update an entry called "mail.RiskNavigatorFromEmailAddress" in all of the "Application.properties" files below, which are located in several different directories... Each of these Application.properties files has the following entry: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a file located on another server

Hi, I have successfully copied a file from one server to another using following command. user1@server1# scp test.jsp user2@server2:/home/ Now i want to delete that copied file(test.jsp) from "server2" by running some command from server1. Please help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SanketJOSHI
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a file located on another server

Hi, I have successfully copied a file from one server to another using following command. user1@server1# scp test.jsp user2@server2:/home/ Now i want to delete that copied file(test.jsp) from "server2" by running some command from server1. Please help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SanketJOSHI
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

use awk to read randomly located columns in an excel file

Hi, I have an excel file that have a random count of columns/fields and what im trying to do is to only retrieve all the rows under 2 specific field headers. I can use the usually command for awk which is awk 'print{ $1 $2}' > output.txt, but the location of the 2 specific field headers is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdap
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know the device on which the file is located

Hi, i want to know on which device a file is located is there any command or anyway to know it thanks santosh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh149
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing KSH batch file located in specific folder

Ok apologies if this is trivial or doesn't make sense but I am quite new to korn shells; So I have a .ksh batch file located in a folder of my choosing, I want to run this file in a korn shell. The problem though is that I want to get VBA code to do this. I have (VBA) code which opens command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjsewell
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help to change the content for remote located file

Hi All, I have one file that sits on 4 diffrent servers, those servers are diffrent region based and they are authentication protected and that file has a diff port numbers, so when run the script it must ask my login details,region of server and port no for that file once it took from me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmarjuna
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to change the content for remote located file

Hi All, I have a file that sits on 4 diffrent servers, those servers are diffrent region based and they are authentication protected and that file has a diff port numbers, so when run the script it must ask my login details,region of server and port no for that file once it took from me it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmarjuna
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo dmidecode where is the file located ?

Been through all my /sys /sbin /bin directories and can't seem to find it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcnewton13
2 Replies
h5diff(1)						      General Commands Manual							 h5diff(1)

NAME
h5diff - Compares two HDF5 files and reports the differences. SYNOPSIS
h5diff file1 file2 [OPTIONS] [object1 [object2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
h5diff is a command line tool that compares two HDF5 files, file1 and file2, and reports the differences between them. Optionally, h5diff will compare two objects within these files. If only one object, object1, is specified, h5diff will compare object1 in file1 with object1 in file2. In two objects, object1 and object2, are specified, h5diff will compare object1 in file1 with object2 in file2. These objects must be HDF5 datasets. object1 and object2 must be expressed as absolute paths from the respective file's root group. Additional information, with several sample cases, can be found in the document H5diff Examples. OPTIONS
file1 file2 The HDF5 files to be compared. -h Print all differences. -r Print only the names of objects that differ; do not print the differences. These objects may be HDF5 datasets, groups, or named datatypes. -n count Print difference up to count differences, then stop. count must be a positive integer. -d delta Print only differences that are greater than the limit delta. delta must be a positive number. The comparison criterion is whether the absolute value of the difference of two corresponding values is greater than delta (e.g., |a-b| > delta, where a is a value in file1 and b is a value in file2). -p relative Print only differences that are greater than a relative error. relative must be a positive number. The comparison criterion is whether the absolute value of the difference 1 and the ratio of two corresponding values is greater than relative (e.g., |1-(b/a)| > relative where a is a value in file1 and b is a value in file2). object1 object2 Specific object(s) within the files to be compared. EXAMPLES
The following h5diff call compares the object /a/b in file1 with the object /a/c in file2: h5diff file1 file2 /a/b /a/c This h5diff call compares the object /a/b in file1 with the same object in file2: h5diff file1 file2 /a/b And this h5diff call compares all objects in both files: h5diff file1 file2 SEE ALSO
h5dump(1), h5ls(1), h5repart(1), h5import(1), gif2h5(1), h52gif(1), h5perf(1) h5diff(1)