Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) OS X Support RSS USB and FireWire Quick Assist Post 302258064 by Linux Bot on Thursday 13th of November 2008 08:20:05 PM
Old 11-13-2008
USB and FireWire Quick Assist

When it comes to thinking outside the box in the computer world, there are plenty of devices vying for your eyes. So just how do you connect all those iPods, printers, digital cameras, hard drives, DV cameras, audio interfaces, hubs, and other assorted peripherals to your Mac? Look no further than your computer's USB and FireWire ports.If it's devices that you want to connect, this article will help you get things up and running quick. And if you run into any trouble, we show you how to solve any issues that might pop up.

More from Apple OS X Support ...

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Solaris

How to mount a firewire drive?

Hi, I have a firewire external hard drive that I've been using on a Mac but now want to use on my desktop computer that runs on Solaris 10, but when I plug it into the firewire port, nothing happens. I just assumed that it would mount automatically like a USB device but it doesn't. Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breanne
7 Replies
USB_MAKE_PATH(9)					  Host-Side Data Types and Macro					  USB_MAKE_PATH(9)

NAME
usb_make_path - returns stable device path in the usb tree SYNOPSIS
int usb_make_path(struct usb_device * dev, char * buf, size_t size); ARGUMENTS
dev the device whose path is being constructed buf where to put the string size how big is "buf"? RETURN
Length of the string (> 0) or negative if size was too small. NOTE
This identifier is intended to be "stable", reflecting physical paths in hardware such as physical bus addresses for host controllers or ports on USB hubs. That makes it stay the same until systems are physically reconfigured, by re-cabling a tree of USB devices or by moving USB host controllers. Adding and removing devices, including virtual root hubs in host controller driver modules, does not change these path identifiers; neither does rebooting or re-enumerating. These are more useful identifiers than changeable ("unstable") ones like bus numbers or device addresses. With a partial exception for devices connected to USB 2.0 root hubs, these identifiers are also predictable. So long as the device tree isn't changed, plugging any USB device into a given hub port always gives it the same path. Because of the use of "companion" controllers, devices connected to ports on USB 2.0 root hubs (EHCI host controllers) will get one path ID if they are high speed, and a different one if they are full or low speed. COPYRIGHT
Kernel Hackers Manual 3.10 June 2014 USB_MAKE_PATH(9)