Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How Can a Machine Reads a Compiler Since A Compiler is Written in Text! Not Binaries? Post 302257985 by f.ben.isaac on Thursday 13th of November 2008 01:41:50 PM
Old 11-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
You are asking the chicken & egg question - which comes first?
You can write a binary executable directly in hex, so very early assemblers (which are compilers) were written that way. There also were link editors as well. ld for example.

I like Corona's explanation. I think at one time I read that as well.

Most compilers are based on lex & yacc. Read about those.

>>You can write a binary executable directly in hex,

And HEX, so what translates these hexes to binaries for the compiler?
If a agree with you, writing in binary 1 & 0 will make machine understand what do you want to do! There has to be convertion between hexes to binaries and since hex is not binaries, what does the conversion! Machine does not giva a damn to anything else except if there is another binary written as a translator who translates hexes back to binary. Any idea?

I'm very new to this, i ask in a very dummy questions to know the basics - only overview, no technical stuff....

THANKS

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Programming

C compiler to build Sparc/Solaris binaries on Linux

Just that the Subject says. I am looking for a C compiler for Linux x86 that will allow me to compile a C source code file and the resulting binary will be able to run on a Sparc running Solaris. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyonsd
2 Replies
install(1)						      General Commands Manual							install(1)

Name
       install - install binaries

Syntax
       install [-c] [-m mode] [-o owner] [-g group] [-s] binary destination

Description
       The  binary  is moved to destination.  If destination already exists, it is removed before binary is moved.  If the destination is a direc-
       tory then binary is moved into the destination directory with its original file-name.

The command refuses to move a file onto itself.

Options
       -c		   Copies binary to destination.

-g group 	   Specifies a different group from group staff for destination.  The destination is changed to group system; the -g group
			   option  may	be used to specify a different group.  The user must belong to the specified group and be the owner of the
			   file or the superuser.

-m mode		   Specifies a different mode from the standard 755 for destination.

-o owner 	   Specifies a different owner from owner root for destination.  The destination is changed  to  current  owner.   The	-o
			   owner option may be used to specify a different owner, but only the superuser can change the owner.

-s		   Strips the binary after it is installed.

See Also
       chgrp(1), chmod(1), cp(1), mv(1), strip(1), chown(8)

install(1)