Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How Can a Machine Reads a Compiler Since A Compiler is Written in Text! Not Binaries? Post 302257982 by shamrock on Thursday 13th of November 2008 01:37:08 PM
Old 11-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.ben.isaac
I still don't get it.....A compiler is binary, so its been executed, so what compiled the compiler! And the compiler compiler's in what language was written?

It is not a big deal, but i just find it hard to take it. Maybe its my problem :-/
The compiler's job is to produce assembly code given C source as input. The output of the compiler is fed to the assembler which translates all assembly code into machine code and finally the link editor sets up all the linkages to external functions.

Compiling the compiler is a process called bootstrapping similar to the way your machine boots up...more on it here.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Programming

C compiler to build Sparc/Solaris binaries on Linux

Just that the Subject says. I am looking for a C compiler for Linux x86 that will allow me to compile a C source code file and the resulting binary will be able to run on a Sparc running Solaris. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyonsd
2 Replies
YACC(1) 							   User Commands							   YACC(1)

NAME
yacc - GNU Project parser generator SYNOPSIS
yacc [OPTION]... FILE DESCRIPTION
Yacc (Yet Another Compiler Compiler) is a parser generator. This version is a simple wrapper around bison(1). It passes option -y, --yacc to activate the upward compatibility mode. See bison(1) for more information. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Eggert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-bison@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
lex(1), flex(1), bison(1). The full documentation for bison is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and bison programs are properly installed at your site, the command info bison should give you access to the complete manual. GNU Bison 2.4.1 November 2007 YACC(1)