Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Read a string with leading spaces and find the length of the string Post 302257872 by dayamatrix on Thursday 13th of November 2008 09:08:34 AM
Old 11-13-2008
Java Thank you very much

HI
Thank you very much for the timely reply

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - read file with leading spaces

Hi, Could someone has any suggestions on this? When read a line from a file, I need to check the first char in the line, it could be a space or any char. But the leading spaces are removed by read. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: momi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk:Find length of string omitting quotes

Hi , I have a file named "sample" having the data as follows. "663005487","USD",0,1,"NR" If i give like a=`awk -F ',' '{printf length($2)}' sample` (Trying to find length of second field)I should get the output for the above as 3 (Omitting double quotes) not 5. How to do this..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayakumarrt
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the string length in solaris

how to find the string length in solaris machine. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: din_annauniv
4 Replies

6. Programming

How to find length of string and pass into char array in C?

Hi All I want to take a Hexadecimal number as input and i want to find lenth of the input and pass it to char s ( char s ). I have a program to convert hexadecial to binary but it is taking limited input but i want to return binary number based on input. How? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atharalikhan
1 Replies

7. Programming

Fastest way to find the length of string in c

Hi all, We use strlen() fun provided by library to find the length of a string. Looking inside of it, it has some different mechanism to find the length of string. Normally, we scan the string byte by byte until the '\0' character. It takes a logn time to count length. The Library strlen()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogeshrl9072
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete leading spaces in a .csv if not in a string

Solaris, ksh I have a .csv file I am trying to clean up before loading into the database. The file contains comma separated columns that have leading spaces which I need to remove. The trouble is, some columns that should not be touched are strings which happen to have the same pattern in them. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary_w
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to find length of string avoiding trailing spaces

Hi, I have a record of length 200 bytes and values filled is only 100 bytes and remaining 100 spaces is occupied by spaces. In script wen i try to find the length of the entire record it should get as 200 not 100. i tried using length and wc -c but it doesnt work can anyone have any idea on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranaveen
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find and replace a string with spaces and / recursively?

Hi all, I wanted to find and replace an email id from entire directory structure on a Linux server. I found that find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i 's/abc@yahoo.com/xyz@gmail.com/g' would do it perfectly. But my search criteria has extended and now I want to search for a string1 like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
2 Replies
STR_PAD(3)								 1								STR_PAD(3)

str_pad - Pad a string to a certain length with another string

SYNOPSIS
string str_pad (string $input, int $pad_length, [string $pad_string = " "], [int $pad_type = STR_PAD_RIGHT]) DESCRIPTION
This functions returns the $input string padded on the left, the right, or both sides to the specified padding length. If the optional argument $pad_string is not supplied, the $input is padded with spaces, otherwise it is padded with characters from $pad_string up to the limit. PARAMETERS
o $input - The input string. o $pad_length - If the value of $pad_length is negative, less than, or equal to the length of the input string, no padding takes place. o $pad_string - Note The $pad_string may be truncated if the required number of padding characters can't be evenly divided by the $pad_string's length. o $pad_type - Optional argument $pad_type can be STR_PAD_RIGHT, STR_PAD_LEFT, or STR_PAD_BOTH. If $pad_type is not specified it is assumed to be STR_PAD_RIGHT. RETURN VALUES
Returns the padded string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 str_pad(3) example <?php $input = "Alien"; echo str_pad($input, 10); // produces "Alien " echo str_pad($input, 10, "-=", STR_PAD_LEFT); // produces "-=-=-Alien" echo str_pad($input, 10, "_", STR_PAD_BOTH); // produces "__Alien___" echo str_pad($input, 6 , "___"); // produces "Alien_" ?> PHP Documentation Group STR_PAD(3)